IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC deleted files?

alsicherman

Two days ago, my girlfriend's computer was running badly. I scouted around and found Advanced System Care 4 Free. I downloaded it on my computer first, to make sure it was OK. It ran fine. I even did the paid update.

So then I ran it her her computer. The next day (yesterday) I discovered that Microsoft Word's panel of recently accessed files (on my computer) was empty. Hmm. No big deal; maybe it just wiped out that list as deletable history. I called up two of the files (whose names I knew) and they were fine. But two more were gone. Vanished.

Believe me, I looked everywhere and every way possible,. One of them was old enough that I found it on a recent backup thumb drive. The other is gone. EEEWWW! I have no idea what else (how many files) are gone.

Hoping this was a glitch on my computer I went over this morning to look at hers (she's out of town), and her recent files pane on Microsoft Word is also empty. I have no idea what files to look for on her computer. I'm just sick about this. I don't know when if ever she did a backup.

I'm running Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2007 on this computer. Hers is running Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2003.

This happened to both computers when I ran Advanced SystemCare 4. Surely that's not a coincidence. Any ideas as to how it happened or (please, God) where to look for the files? I went through the Iyogi deal this morning and afternoon (literally four hours before they said they had no idea -- and clearly the guy who was running my screen had never used MSWord).

Has anyone even heard of the problem?

HELPPP!!!!

Hi alsicherman

I have never seen that happen. I use XP and 2003 office too.

I do not quite understand though - you say that you found two files you remembered the name of, but that two files you didn't remember the name of was gone - how do you know if you don't know what files they are??

Have you tried the restore center?

What are your settings in the program?

Cheers

solbjerg

Two days ago, my girlfriend's computer was running badly. I scouted around and found Advanced System Care 4 Free. I downloaded it on my computer first, to make sure it was OK. It ran fine. I even did the paid update.

So then I ran it her her computer. The next day (yesterday) I discovered that Microsoft Word's panel of recently accessed files (on my computer) was empty. Hmm. No big deal; maybe it just wiped out that list as deletable history. I called up two of the files (whose names I knew) and they were fine. But two more were gone. Vanished.

Believe me, I looked everywhere and every way possible,. One of them was old enough that I found it on a recent backup thumb drive. The other is gone. EEEWWW! I have no idea what else (how many files) are gone.

Hoping this was a glitch on my computer I went over this morning to look at hers (she's out of town), and her recent files pane on Microsoft Word is also empty. I have no idea what files to look for on her computer. I'm just sick about this. I don't know when if ever she did a backup.

I'm running Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2007 on this computer. Hers is running Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2003.

This happened to both computers when I ran Advanced SystemCare 4. Surely that's not a coincidence. Any ideas as to how it happened or (please, God) where to look for the files? I went through the Iyogi deal this morning and afternoon (literally four hours before they said they had no idea -- and clearly the guy who was running my screen had never used MSWord).

Has anyone even heard of the problem?

HELPPP!!!!

I did know the names

HI, Solbjerg.

Thanks for looking!

I knew the four names (and others). Let me say it more clearly, if less chronologically: I was able to find most files I looked for, but two that I use regularly were completely gone.

Does the program routinely clean out MSWord's "recent documents" pane?

That would be good news. If so, maybe I'm only talking about two documents whose disappearance MIGHT be a coincidence. And maybe (I sure hope) maybe nothing has disappeared from my girlfriend's computer).

But if not -- if it shouldn't be clearing out that pane -- something pretty weird is going on, because it did that on two different computers.

Thanks for your help.

--al

Restore Center unhelpful -- after Iyogi did a restore point during today's marathon session, somehow no restore points are available before today.

I'm told that Restore won't do anything to user files anyway -- take them away or bring them back. I wanted to try it anyway (why not?) but as I say, it's now impossible.

Hi alsicherman

If you have chosen those settings it does! :-)

I may be that some of the other settings could be responsible for the missing files - if they are very old perhaps and your setting says that they should be "cleaned" I suppose it might happen. But if one uses prudent settings or even the recommended ones I have never seen that happen.

Cheers

solbjerg

HI, Solbjerg.

Thanks for looking!

I knew the four names (and others). Let me say it more clearly, if less chronologically: I was able to find most files I looked for, but two that I use regularly were completely gone.

That would be good news. If so, maybe I'm only talking about two documents whose disappearance MIGHT be a coincidence. And maybe (I sure hope) maybe nothing has disappeared from my girlfriend's computer).

But if not -- if it shouldn't be clearing out that pane -- something pretty weird is going on, because it did that on two different computers.

Thanks for your help.

--al

Restore Center unhelpful -- after Iyogi did a restore point during today's marathon session, somehow no restore points are available before today.

I'm told that Restore won't do anything to user files anyway -- take them away or bring them back. I wanted to try it anyway (why not?) but as I say, it's now impossible.

What settings?

Man, I'm glad you're there. I can't tell you how good it is to be getting somewhere on this.

I have to plead total ignorance: I didn't see any settings to make. I ran it as it opened, with whatever defaults it has.

(Are you talking about unchecking some of the 10 scans? I still don't see any settings other than those. Which one would have stopped it from clearing out Recent Documents in MSWord?)

I'm feeling kind of stupid here, but I have to say in my defense that I'm a retired EE and have been around the block a few times.

Do you think I should try the "rescue" options? (When the free version seemed to go fine, I downloaded the paid upgrade and ran that, so there are two backup points. The files that show ther e all appear to be Registry stuff (HKey blah blah).

Thanks again for your help.

--al

hi alsicherman

If you click on "More" in the top line of the ASC window you can choose settings - go through all of them and tick those you want to implement and untick those you don't want to implement.

A really good idea is to read the manual before using an application :-)

In the forum you can find Usage of IObit Products - it is a good idea to read it all. Also the introduction to the forum!

In my signature you can find links to these threads.

For me to advise you on the settings it would be good to see some screenshots of them or a verbose detailed account of how they are configured.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. for your other question about recent documents I think the answer is Privacy settings.

Man, I'm glad you're there. I can't tell you how good it is to be getting somewhere on this.

I have to plead total ignorance: I didn't see any settings to make. I ran it as it opened, with whatever defaults it has.

(Are you talking about unchecking some of the 10 scans? I still don't see any settings other than those. Which one would have stopped it from clearing out Recent Documents in MSWord?)

I'm feeling kind of stupid here, but I have to say in my defense that I'm a retired EE and have been around the block a few times.

Do you think I should try the "rescue" options? (When the free version seemed to go fine, I downloaded the paid upgrade and ran that, so there are two backup points. The files that show ther e all appear to be Registry stuff (HKey blah blah).

Thanks again for your help.

--al

My goodness!

Heavenly days! I had no idea that ASC was anything more than a click-and-go application that would do a few things that I don't know how to do on my own. Most freeware is that rudimentary. So ASC is a huge bargain -- but I wish I had known that. I didn't even see that there WAS a user manual. I might have read it if I had known it was there. ("Skins" isn't at all important and has its own button. "More" sounded even less important.)

Thanks for the detailed article at your signature (which I couldn't have read before I found this forum). I truly appreciate the time and effort that it represents, and more so the time you have spent with me tonight.

So I hope I brought this on myself by just opening ASC and letting it roll with no examination. With any luck nothing more is missing than I already know about.

Do you advise trying the Rescue function, or do you think I will just be making a bigger mess?

Hi alsicherman

You are welcome - glad to could be of assistance!

Please read the Usage --- also concerning how to use the rescue center. :-)

The click-and-go approach is after configuring the settings to what you want to achieve and running it manually a few times to find possible settings the program wants to "clean" and place those you think you need in the ignore list.Please read the how to do that in Usage --- too. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Heavenly days! I had no idea that ASC was anything more than a click-and-go application that would do a few things that I don't know how to do on my own. Most freeware is that rudimentary. So ASC is a huge bargain -- but I wish I had known that. I didn't even see that there WAS a user manual. I might have read it if I had known it was there. ("Skins" isn't at all important and has its own button. "More" sounded even less important.)

Thanks for the detailed article at your signature (which I couldn't have read before I found this forum). I truly appreciate the time and effort that it represents, and more so the time you have spent with me tonight.

So I hope I brought this on myself by just opening ASC and letting it roll with no examination. With any luck nothing more is missing than I already know about.

Do you advise trying the Rescue function, or do you think I will just be making a bigger mess?

Hi alsicherman,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

In theory, Advanced SystemCare won't delete any useful files in your PC. Please help us look into this issue.

1)Please let us know the names of the files which have been deleted.

2)Please take a screen shot of Microsoft Word's panel of recently accessed files on your computer.

Guide for Taking Screenshots:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

3)Please send the Log folder and Backup folder to us so that we can further look into the issue.

Usual path: %appdata%\IObit\Advanced SystemCare v4

Hi alsicherman

("Skins" isn't at all important and has its own button. "More" sounded even less important.)

I agree that that name isn't the best choice - it is true that there is more there :-) but to make you take notice probably needs a better word.

One of the reasons for it is probably that it is so short that it doesn't use too much space.

Even so Guide - Functions - Menu - Help - Manual - About - Settings -- perhaps even More! (in Bold - red + exclamation point)---(please come up with more) would be better I think!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi alsicherman,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

In theory, Advanced SystemCare won't delete any useful files in your PC. Please help us look into this issue.

1)Please let us know the names of the files which have been deleted.

2)Please take a screen shot of Microsoft Word's panel of recently accessed files on your computer.

Guide for Taking Screenshots:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

3)Please send the Log folder and Backup folder to us so that we can further look into the issue.

Usual path: %appdata%\IObit\Advanced SystemCare v4

Hi, Cicely:

Sorry for late response; I stopped looking after I got the basic word from Solbjerg. I am (clearly) a newbie; never used a forum. I don't see your e-mail address so I can send you the logs. (I attached them to an e-mail full of comments before I realized I had no idea where to send it.)

Can't attach the backup and log files

Hi, Cicely:

NO FILE ATTACHMENTS ARE WORKING HERE. All Backup files refuse to upload ("invalid file") and Log files reported too big. So please give me an e-mail address, as I was successful in attaching all the files to an e-mail.

---------(What follows was written before the upload failures)-----------

I'm attaching the Backups and Logs ( I ran the free version and then the Pro version before I discovered the problems -- and tried Rescue a couple days later.) I'm also attaching a screenshot of the recent documents pane in Microsoft Word, but I'm not sure why. (Trust me; it was empty when I tried it Nov 8; it's filling up now.) (And, as I said, the default settings called for it to be cleaned, so that's not a mystery -- nor much of a problem.)

The missing files are

document storage

and

cathstocklist (I think it was all one word)

I have resurrected the "cathstocklist" file from partial backups I made some time ago, which is why it shows up now in the screenshot, but if it helps you to look for the one that disappeared, please feel free. The troubling missing file is "document storage," a 400-plus-entry list of filed pieces of paper.

Rebuilding it isn't impossible, but it would be a huge pain.

MOST helpful to me will be anything you can find about where it went -- if, indeed it had anything to do with ASC -- because, as I said, I also ran the program on my girlfriend's computer and I have no idea what if anything disappeared over there. (She's still out of town, thank goodness.)

On another level, I must agree with Sjolberg that the "more" button on the ASC main page needs to have a much better name (like, maybe "Instructions"), and be much bigger. As I said before, I had no idea it was meaningful ("skins" certainly isn't), nor that the program was so ambitious. I figured it ran a few things that anyone would agree needed running, and -- like Norton 360, for example -- just opening it up and pushing the button was the reasonable approach. I had no idea about Settings, nor that there was a user manual.

By the same token, I had no idea that there is genuine IOBit customer support (not the horrible runaround I got from IYogi, to which ASC's website directed me). I spent 4 1/2 hours -- REALLY -- on phone and online with them, getting absolutely nowhere -- they'd never heard of your program, and one of the people clearly had never used MSWord. Part of that experience I got to only after agreeing to a $199 1-year contract, which I revoked when I got through with them.

WHEW! Sorry. I guess I needed to say all that.

Anyway, if you can figure out what happened to document storage I will be forever grateful. And if the disappearance clearly was a coincidence, and had noting to do with ASC, that would be a good outcome too -- it would mean there's probably no problem on my girlfriend's computer.

Thank you very much for your patience in reading all this.

--al sicherman

If useful, text to search for in the cathstocklist file would include:

nflx

As of 11/16/2010

amzn

If useful, text to search for in the document storage file would include:

social security

star tribune

recipe

Thanks again.

Archived