IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Google software causing 36 minute after hour reboot

cover

Hi,

For whatever reason my XP computer reboots on the 36th minute after the hour fairly suddenly and regularly. For example 8:36, 9:36, 10:36, etc - doesn't matter what I'm doing, the screen goes as if the power was dumped. I've tried downloading the latest definitions of IObit MalwareFighter and it doesn't seem to help. Do any of you know anything about any bug causing problems like this? Appears to be some sort of bug. My machine hasn't rebooted in safemode yet but in normal, it's as if someone pulled the power cord, reboots just fine and runs another hour just great.

TIA

Do you have any software running that could have an automatic shut-down option activated?

If you can not find one,You could try changing the clock, in the computer, to a different time,

to see if that effects it.

Maybe set it back 20 minutes around 30 minutes after the hour,

or something like that.

Maybe that will give a clue as to what is causing it.

I've not heard of a Virus that does that?

Scheduled Task ?

Welcome to the forum :smile:

Sounds like a Scheduled Task is causing problems, the first thing I would do is go to:

• Control Panel

• Scheduled Tasks

• Double click on a software scheduled task (if there is one)

• Click on the Schedule tab

• See if it has a Start Time: of ?:36

• Click on Advanced button

• See if Repeat Task is set to 1 Hours

If you find a Scheduled Task that is set to happen every hour at ?:36 then it would be best to go to the software and change the setting there. I would stop the scheduled task in the software and see if that fixes the problem.

If you find that it was some software causing the Restart you should contact the software company or their forum for help.

Please post back with your results.

I don't think this is a malware issue either, more likely a software conflict or whatever. I have left this thread here for the moment and it will be moved to the correct section when we get more information.

All the best, woz of oz

Case closed - problem fixed...

Case closed and here’s the deal for anyone else faced with a similar issue. It appears that one of the Google products left some ‘update’ piece that was causing the crashes even after the product had been uninstalled. After reading through the Windows Event Viewer, I could see a remnant, “GUpdate” that was suspiciously coming up in that log and in deleting the “Google” entries from my registry, I was able to get the random reboots stopped. Removed from these two branches of my registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\

Thanks for the replies guys...

Good news

Good news and thanks for the feedback :smile:

.....It appears that one of the Google products left some ‘update’ piece that was causing the crashes even after the product had been uninstalled.....

I tried Google Chrome then uninstalled it but it left behind a lot of stuff including a Scheduled task.

All the best, woz of oz

Archived