IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Defrag Limits ?

Toppack

I've noticed that it usually takes several runs of SD to complete defrag of a drive, that has a lot of data on it, even though the drive is not close to being full.

I've had to Re-run it up to 'Five' times before SD stops finding more to defrag. :shock: (That one was a 700.GB (useable space) drive with 374.GB of data)

Anyone know why that happens? Is there a Limit to how many defrags can be done per run or maybe is there a limit to the amount of data that can be moved per run?

I've noticed that it usually takes several runs of SD to complete defrag of a drive, that has a lot of data on it, even though the drive is not close to being full.

I've had to Re-run it up to 'Five' times before SD stops finding more to defrag. :shock: (That one was a 700.GB (useable space) drive with 374.GB of data)

Anyone know why that happens? Is there a Limit to how many defrags can be done per run or maybe is there a limit to the amount of data that can be moved per run?

I never had this problem , when i run Smart Defrag ( Defrag and fully optimize) mine always eliminates fragments to 0.00%

Used 112,5 gb on both ( c: and d: drive )

And hard disk is 1 tb ....

Maybe some files are in use dont know :-(

Good luck fixing your problem

Hi Toppack

I guess that if you run defrag&optimize the used defrag program will move one step up the ladder in the placement hierarchy.

Apart from that chances are that any computer that is powered up will have at least some fragments - more if it has run any programs or have used a browser on the internet + the possible automatic functions.

One will have something running automatically even if one never uses automatic functions, the antivirus for example, or Windows checking if all is well when it starts:-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I really don't consider it a problem, since I only see it when there is a Large amount of data being defraged

but was just curious why it is happening.

But it will Not keep me Awake at night, if I don't find out. :lol:

hi Toppack

In SD there is a checkered pane - this pane contains in round numbers about 1000 squares.

Your computer holds let's say 1TB, which then means that each of the squares by you should represent 1GB.

In the event wiever under Programs and the post WinLogon and then select Properties, you can see how many allocation units you have and how many files.

You can then compute how many files or allocation units you have in each of the used squares. :-)

The SmartDefrag program will tell you how many fragments you have before and after the defragmentation.

So I mostly see the visual picture during a defrag as something that gives me a psychological sense of activity. :-)

What matters is that it makes the computer run better. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

No, I was talking about having to run it again immediately after the previous runs, with no other programs active.

(Only defrag, not with optimize)

Next month I will try it with Optimize also, the first run, and see how that effects the results.

Okay, I tried running 'defrag & optimize' on the first run, this time,

and it still required two More defrags before it stopped finding more to defrag. :?

The second run found a Great deal more to defrag, which was run immediately after the first run,

and third run only found 6 more items to defrag and no more on fourth run.

This only happens with drives that have several hundred giga-bytes or more data on them, that is very fragmented.

BTW- 'defrag & optimize' takes way too much time to run on fragmented large-data drives.

It's faster to just run 'defrag' only, several times.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure but the Limiting factor may be the 'Page-file' allocated space?

I had increased the Page-file size on HDDs and SD completed the defag of a very fragmented 422.GBs of data in a single pass.

It could be some other change that made the difference, though.

Does anyone know if SD uses the Page-file space during defrags?

Archived