IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Inrtermittent DVD drive

Toppack

We encountered another Strange intermittent problem. :roll:

W-7 would not initialize the DVD drive, on about 2 out of 3 bootups of a desktop system, even though the BIOS saw it every time. :shock: :?:

I noticed that the SATA data cable, to DVD drive, was plugged into first of 6 ports on Mobo ,

so I though it might be a timing problem.

I moved that cable to second port and moved C: Hard-drive's cable to first port.

It's been running for several days, with about a dozen bootups, and No problems.

So I think reversing the cables fixed it.

I will get another drive to replace it, sometime soon, since I think something must have changed in the drive, for it to start having the problem.

But it seems very strange that the BIOS saw the drive but Windows did Not sometime ???

Hi Toppack!

But it seems very strange that the BIOS saw the drive but Windows did Not sometime ???

It is Windows... all versions have bugs, you know this. (various intermittent recognition probs., not unique to Win 7, also existed in Vista.) Win. 7 is the refined version of Vista. Some of the bugs are still there.

Betcha Win 8 will be as buggy as Vista was when it is launched.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi guys,

Strangely enough, I have the same glitch on my laptop, Windows 7 pro x32 do not see DVD drive when it is empty when Windows starts from time to time.

Search for a new hard drive in Device Manager doesn't give any positive result.

Event viewer reads as:

The device, \Device\CdRom0, is not ready for access yet.

When this happens, my solution is to rescan disks in Disk Management in Computer Management, so it finds the DVD drive.

I can not say the same thing for my Virtual CD-clone drive which is always seen, perhaps because only being a software.

I agree with Mel for the bugs of OSs though.>sigh<

Cheers.

It still appears to be a timing problem,

evidently Windows does not allow enough time for init,

between Mobo and the drive,

when drive gets a little Slow, due to 'Old-Age'. ;-)

I certainly know how 'Old-Age' can Slow you down! :lol:

Archived