IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Where is all the Free Space?

alfam

I've just done a Defrag and Fully Optimize. I have 13.5 GB free. My State GUI shows no Free Space. Apart from several rarely used, MFT and unmovable map bricks, the map shows everything as fragmented. Additionally, my report summary indicates I have a fragmentation rate of 25.81%. The fragmented files and directories report shows about fifty files ranging in size from 27.34MB to 965.84MB that were not defragged due to 'No Space'. Any ideas out there? Thanking you in anticipation. :|

Welcome

Welcome to the forum :smile:

Your profile shows you have IObit Smart Defrag version 2.2, please update to version 2.5 @ Smart Defrag 2.5 is available!

...I have 13.5 GB free....

What is the total hard disk space?

It is recommended that you have 15% of the total hard disk space free for a defrag to be successful. So, if your total hard disk space is more than 90 GB you will need to free some more space.

To free space, first you should do a cleanup of your hard disk, if you have Advanced SystemCare installed use that to do a cleanup.

Also, delete anything you don't need, there is usually something on a computer that is not really needed :wink:

If possible, move big files that are not necessary to have on your computer but you want to keep (videos, pictures etc) to an external hard drive or flashdrive.

Also go to:

• Smart Defrag

• Settings

• General Settings

• If Skip files larger than.... is ticked make sure the amount is not too low (1 GB is default) and adjust the slider to an amount that suits you. Note: Increasing the amount will probably slow the defrag process as large files will take a long time to defrag.

You can read more about SmartDefrag in the thread Usage of IObit Products - About SmartDefrag

You can also read more about defragging in general in the thread Think about Defragmentation

All the best, woz of oz

Many Thanks for your suggestions, woz. I have an 80GB drive. There are a few larger files (movies), so i'll need to move things around. I'm still wondering why it doesn't show free space in the GUI, but will let that go and try the later version. Your help is much appreciated. Cheers. David

I'm still wondering why it doesn't show free space in the GUI

Hi alfam,

The files in your disk is fragmented so that there is no single square on your SD GUI which is empty (ie. no contiguous full empty space in a square.), so all the squares seems that they are occupied with fragmented files. In reality, there are empty spaces in many of them which can not be seen as empty space.

Addition to wozofoz' suggestions, if you reduce the size allocated for System Restore, or even Turn OFF and then Turn On System Restore to delete all the System Restore Points and automatically create a new single System Restore Point when you are sure of the well running of your PC, a considerable empty space will be available in your PC.

That even may give you the ability to defragment your disk without temporarily movig your files to another drive.

Cheers.

You can also Drag the SD window Larger, to see More squares.

The more squares visible the closer to actual,

but the number of squares displayed can never equal the Actual number of sector-spaces on drives.

I expand it to Full-screen to get better representation.

Archived