IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

smart defrag ? version 2.5 need help

radiofan

hi guys im new here i just installed smart defrag 2.5 ive also disabled the built in windows own defrag to use this 1 as i heer its better. what i wanted to know was do i keep it running in the background as i see it in taskbar or can i close it out of there and will it stil run and do its job greatful 4 any help thx.

hi guys im new here i just installed smart defrag 2.5 ive also disabled the built in windows own defrag to use this 1 as i heer its better. what i wanted to know was do i keep it running in the background as i see it in taskbar or can i close it out of there and will it stil run and do its job greatful 4 any help thx.

You can close the taskbar Icon, after SD finishes running.

It's there to have easy access, if another run is needed.

There's no need to Disable the Windows-7 defrag program,

they do Not interfere with each other, if run separately.

:?:I've never tried to run Both at the Same-time, though.:!:

So don't know what that would do. :-? :shock:

Probably both would just run Very-Slow.

But there would never be a need for that. :!:

Edit - Unless you actually mean 'disable scheduled Auto-runs'?

If so, then yes you should disable Scheduled run Or just be careful not to run both at same time?

Welcome

Welcome to the forum radiofan :smile:

.....what i wanted to know was do i keep it running in the background as i see it in taskbar or can i close it out of there and will it stil run and do its job....

Whether ir is necessary or best to have IObit Smart Defrag running in the background or not will depend on your usage of the computer.

If you are using your computer for tasks that quickly cause fragmentation then it would be best to have it running (if you don't know then you probably aren't :wink: )

If you use your computer just for simple tasks then there would be no real need to have it running all the time.

To find out how much fragmentation is being created I suggest you see the thread Do not want scheduled/auto defrag at all and change the settings to on demand (not automatic or scheduled) as explained in that thread.

Launch Smart Defrag at the end of every day for a week and click on Analyze, keep a record of the Fragmentation rate: % every day. Also look at the Recommendation: box.

If the Fragmentation rate: % is increasing quickly in that week you will probably see the Recommendation: to Defrag and Fast Optimize in that case having Smart Defrag running in the background would be a good idea

If there is very little change in the Fragmentation rate: % in that week you will probably see the Recommendation: of No need to defrag every day, in that case using Smart Defrag on demand would probably be enough.

If you also use Advanced SystemCare then it has the defrag option which is not as 'intense' as Smart Defrag but will keep things organized.

If you were to run an Advanced SystemCare scan (including defrag) every day (or 2) and then run a full Smart Defrag every month that should keep the average/home computer in top shape.

If you are interested to read more about defragmentation then see the thread Think about Defragmentation!!!

All the best, woz of oz

Hi radiofan, Toppack, And Wozofoz... a couple of cents worth.

hi guys im new here i just installed smart defrag 2.5 ive also disabled the built in windows own defrag

I thought the built in Windows defagmantation tool was manual... and has no automatic (real time) functions other than a scheduler. (But I am running Vista SP2)

Also I am curious as to the total size of the drive versus the allocated space? My opinion on this is that people over defragment as well as over "registry fix". There is an apparently large group of people who obsess over their machines unnecessarily. Over usage of cleansing tools presents a risk and over usage of defragmenting tools wears the drive (and also presents a small data risk). Of course this is only my opinion.:wink:

Thanks for the nice posts guys!:grin:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived