IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Assistance needed, xcopy function

andylofgren

As indicated, I will prefer to back up my "Chrome" folder at %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google, before deleting it as advised at http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=111899.

An attempt to copy the folder fails to the error:

Error Copying File or Folder

Cannot copy file:

This is the exact error message I receive, when trying to copy this folder. Now, I think I may benefit from some advice relating to xcopy:

What is the procedure to use the xcopy function, to copy a single folder and all of its contents? I had a need in the past to use the xcopy function, in order to copy all contents of one drive to another. I got my advice here: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/715495-error-copying-file-cannot-read.html. The answer was, to use the following xcopy command at the command prompt, which copies all data from drive F to drive E:

xcopy /C /E /I /H /K F: E:

I was wondering, how can this command be modified to copy only a single folder, and all its contents? According to http://www.computerhope.com/xcopyhlp.htm, the following format may be used in Windows 2000 and XP:

XCOPY source [destination] [/A | /M] [/D[:date]] [/P] [/s [/E]] [/V] [/W] [/C] [/i] [/Q] [/F] [/L] [/H] [/R] [/T] [/u] [/K] [/N] [/O] [/X] [/Y] [/-Y] [/Z] [/EXCLUDE:file1[+file2][+file3]...]

So presumably, I should be able to simply substitute the directory location of the folder I want to copy, for the “F:” in the command above, right? However, when doing so (attempting the command below,) I encounter the error “Invalid number of parameters.”

What is wrong with this command, and what is the solution to complete this operation successfully?

Failed command:

xcopy /C /E /I /H /K C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome backup, 10-1-2012 E:

Fails to error:

Invalid number of parameters

What is the solution? What is the correct command to complete this operation, and to copy the folder?

:shock: Man, it must be 30 or 40 years since I used the 'xcopy' command!. :shock:

Why the heck are you playing with that Obsolite DOS command?:shock:

The Explorer-file-manager can do the Same thing.

If it will not copy with file-manager, it will Not copy with xcopy command.

I never ran XP but it seems this would indicate lots of partitions thus a crowded drive?

[xcopy /C /E /I /H /K F: E:/QUOTE]:?:

It is no wonder there are difficulties if this is the case.

Here is info on Andy's system... by self reported info in his User CP.

• Supported hard drive thickness: 9.5mm for all systems
  • Standard 30GB, 40GB, 60GB, 80GB hard drive sizes
  • Supports one additional hard drive which can be used concurrently to offer expanded storage in the Ultrabay Slim
  • S.M.A.R.T technology to issue an alert if a hardware failure is pending
  • ATA Bus Interface
  • 4200, 5400,or 7200 rpm depending on drive size
  • Although you can upgrade the hard drive, it is not designed to be removed and reinserted on a regular basis. Repeated and frequent removal, for purposes other than to upgrade for greater capacity, can cause damage to the system. The Ultrabay Slim hard drive adapter is designed to provide this flexibility with a second hard drive in the Ultrabay Slim.
  • The Hard Drive Active Protection system protects your hard drive when the shock sensor inside your ThinkPad computer detects a situation that could potentially damage the hard drive

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper@

Inclined...

I am inclined to advise Andy to gather any valuable personal data he/she can and preserve it as soon as possible.

I believe in this instance the best course of action would be to upgrade both the hardware and software a bit... (there's something irretrievable happening here and it would seem that more and more of Andy's data is being lost.)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

xcopy

HI All,

This relates to his other post by virtue of the fact he has not enough space to perform operations of this size

150mb of free space...

he needs to transfer some data to a disc/usb stick

Roy

its a notepad not laptop and they overstacked it (lenovo)

Archived