IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Old Welsh number system

solbjerg

Hi

The old Welsh number system has like the Danish leftovers in the spoken numbers from the Vigisimal number system

wyth a thrigain = 8 + 3*20 is very akin to the spoken Danish word for 68 in structure

The vigisimal system was used many places in various forms from about 3000 years ago. (The Mayas used it too - possibly because we had 20 digits we could count, - fingers and toes)

But the decimal system replaced it - especially in the written form over all of Europe after we adopted it from the Arabs during the crusades.

Some argue that it hampers the learning process in number related subjects in the schools. This may be true.

I am not too certain myself though. Even though I welcome the use of placing the exponent of 10 first in the spoken language too.

Using the binary system in the spoken form would I think be too cumbersome?

There are still some leftovers in English too from the vigisimal system I think for example Thirteen (3+10) ought rightly to be named tenthree (10+3).

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Thanks to enoskype for showing me how the Turkish number system works (more logical)

EDIT: Thank you to you solbjerg, you made me think of it!

This is fascinating to me as I have been taught to perform math by the tens (which is also more easily divisible from the count of the digits on our hands and toes into a whole number?). 10 fingers, ten toes... our fingers we more often see.

I do not think that my brain can now operate outside of tens... I would struggle to turn it into units of tens so I might understand and comprehend.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Melvin

The old Babylonians used the sexagesimal system (60)

We still have leftovers in the form of degrees and minutes and seconds

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10801&stc=1&d=1352542305

But as you can see if you study the characters a bit the underlying system is based on 10 albeit without the zero, like Roman numerals in a way.

As far as I remember they took a year to be 360 days, and then adjusted it every x number of years with an extra week I think.

I think the Mayas had a string and knot system based on 20.

The hexadecimal system (16) is in compliance with the binary system

A computer actually only knows zero or 1 and then uses the positional system to generate higher numbers (binary system)

(We could call a computer incredibly stupid, but never the less we can use it to get at almost anything)

One of the old biblical characterrs (I forget who - but it was around the time of Methuselah) also made a calender.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I recommend reading: Number: The Language of Science by Tobias Dantzig

(there may be newer publications but I remember that I liked his book very much)

This is fascinating to me as I have been taught to perform math by the tens (which is also more easily divisible from the count of the digits on our hands and toes into a whole number?). 10 fingers, ten toes... our fingers we more often see.

I do not think that my brain can now operate outside of tens... I would struggle to turn it into units of tens so I might understand and comprehend.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

What about 'Octal' and 'Binary' :?:

Were they invented by people with Only 8 and 2 Fingers :idea: :lol:

My first job, related to computers, required me to program in Octal,

that was Fun! :roll:

Yes, Binary will always be an Important part of computer-programming and component design.

Even though most programmers no longer need to think at the machine level.

Hi Toppack

A byte is usually 8 bits still and this was just what they made use of in the first computers, then 16 and then 32. You are now using 64 bit computers.

The common Character map today uses 2^16 still I think - all is related to the binary system. (65536 characters)

Cheers

solbjerg

p,s, I usually use three fingers on each hand to type so in this context a 6 number system may be useful sometimes :-)

What about 'Octal' and 'Binary' :?:

Were they invented by people with Only 8 and 2 Fingers :idea: :lol:

My first job, related to computers, required me to program in Octal,

that was Fun! :roll:

Of course, Binary will always be an Important part of computer-programming.

Even though most programmers no longer need to think at the machine level.

Hi Toppack

A byte is usually 8 bits still and this was just what they made use of in the first computers, then 16 and then 32. You are now using 64 bit computers.

The common Character map today uses 2^16 still I think - all is related to the binary system. (65536 characters)

Cheers

solbjerg

Nope, he Only had 2 Fingers :idea:

You can't Fool Me!

:lol:

I think he got too close to a bunch of these Finger-Eaters:

Hi Melvin

The old Babylonians used the sexagesimal system (60)

We still have leftovers in the form of degrees and minutes and seconds

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10801&stc=1&d=1352542305

But as you can see if you study the characters a bit the underlying system is based on 10 albeit without the zero, like Roman numerals in a way.

As far as I remember they took a year to be 360 days, and then adjusted it every x number of years with an extra week I think.

I think the Mayas had a string and knot system based on 20.

The hexadecimal system (16) is in compliance with the binary system

A computer actually only knows zero or 1 and then uses the positional system to generate higher numbers (binary system)

(We could call a computer incredibly stupid, but never the less we can use it to get at almost anything)

One of the old biblical characterrs (I forget who - but it was around the time of Methuselah) also made a calender.

Cheers

solbjerg

(there may be newer publications but I remember that I liked his book very much)

Thanks Solbjerg.

Perhaps it was necessary at the time to fully describe the written number carefully within the character itself as they were counting and recording things in smaller quantities? (why would you need bigger numbers?)

It is likely that if we do communicate with others off the planet... it will be through math.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Hi Toppack

Texas has about 2 guns per person, about 1 cow per person but about 30 people have to share each horse. :-)

The extraterrestians may be interested in cows?

They may even be interested in humanity! After all they cannot be quite stupid since they found a way to come visit :-) (In Mel's supposition)

In Denmark about 8 people share each gun, and about 120 share each horse, but we have 5-6 pigs for each human!

(I use to say that we have about 30 Mill. pigs in Denmark if we count both the 2-legged and the 4-legged kind)

Cheers

solbjerg

Nope, knowing humans the way I do,

We will show Them our Biggest Guns

and they will Distroy the Planet! :lol:

Hey, we Texans Like Pigs also!

Regretably it's Mostly for the Beacon and Ham, though. :roll: :-(

We will be Glad to Share our Cows with the Aliens,:-D

Sorry, but we Won't let them Touch our Horses! :-x

If they try, they will find out what all the Guns are For!

Hi Toppack

Sure! :-)

Erle Stanley Gardner must have had fun choosing the name Ham. Burger (Hamilton Burger) in his Perry Mason novels.

Curiously there is no ham in a hamburger (said to derive from Hamburg)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Welsh rabbit/rarebit isn't bad either!

Hey, we Texans Like Pigs also!

Regretably it's Mostly for the Beacon and Ham, though. :roll:

We will be Glad to Share or Cows with the Aliens,:-D

Sorry, but we Won't let them Touch our Horses! :-x

If they try, they will find out what all the Guns are For!

Try a "Kensington Trackball' instead of a mouse! :idea:

They are Great! 8:)

Model No. 64325:

Thanks Toppack, I will look at it!:smile:

I discovered that its the driver though that is broken.. synaptics. I am doing the work to recover the driver now and have bypassed the old logitech mouse.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper

Hi Mel

Have a ball!!! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks Toppack, I will look at it!:smile:

I discovered that its the driver though that is broken.. synaptics. I am doing the work to recover the driver now and have bypassed the old logitech mouse.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper

Archived