IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows-8 System Partition

Toppack

I found out that Windows-8 creates Drive-0 (the System-hidden partition) Completely-Different,

than Vista and Windows-7 do. :shock:

It's larger, contains more and is labled very differently in Disk-manager utility.

Here's great Info about how W-8 does it:

http://www.thelongclimb.com/2012/08/15/installing-windows-8-be-careful-of-drive-0/

Note - I think Microsoft does these things just to Confuse us :lol:

Very interesting, and very scary. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-scared001.gif

I often wonder if Microsoft has a special department called " The now that we have finally made a fairly decent OS lets see if we can make it as difficult as possible to install Department"

Then I suppose a huge partof their income is generated from their support charges, and I imagine from your info that they will have a lot of support requests for W8.

I imagine there will be a lot of W8 users who unknowingly do not have the extended partition and therefore do not have the recovery and repair utilities.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused005.gif

I've done more checking on the Disk-manager in Windows-8

and it's really not as complicated as that website artical makes it sound.

The System-partition and C: boot-partition are Still on Disk-0, as in W-7.

So, the W-8 configuration is really not that much different than in W-7,

with only slightly different options.

You just have to remember that there is a lot more stuff in the System-partition of W-8. :lol:

I have recently read that Windows-7 has an option of combining the System-partition and the C: Boot-partition into One C: partition, during W-7 Install.

(like was done with XP and older OSs)

But of 10 or so times I've installed W-7, I don't remember seeing anything about that,

I may have just not known what it was and accepted the default of two separate partitions. :lol:

I think W-8 must have the same option?

And some people are getting into trouble, doing it that way?

But I'm Not sure why there is a problem yet?

It appears that it matters if you are trying to set-up a Multi-Boot system? (two OS versions)

(which I will Never Do again, since it is really Not necessary!) :wink:

I found out that if you do Not want the separate 'Hidden-System' partition to be Hidden,

all you need to do is assign it a drive-letter, using Windows Disk-manager.

Then it will show-up in File-manager.

Adding the drive-letter does Not change it's function, in any way.

Note - I know this works in W-7 so I assume it's true with W-8 also

You definitely do Not want to change (Edit) anything in the System-partition, but you Can See it, if needed.

Archived