IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

internal defragging

Roedy Green

Here is an idea you might use to distinguish yourself from the pack -- internal defragging.

1. Sort the MFT internally by last access date so that the most recently accessed files are at the end. This way new files and frequently used entries will be contiguous and hence efficiently cached in RAM.

2. Sort the directories internally by last access date so that the the most recently accessed files are at the end.

This also packs out dead entries.

You would have to do this at boot time. To make it safe, you build a new MFT and new directory tree, then when they are built, hook them up in two writes. That way if you abort, there is no harm done.

Hi Roedy Green

Thank you for the excellent suggestion. I am sure it will be of great interest to users. It would be great if you could expand on your post and give a detailed description of how to do the actions you suggest. It would help the users who are not so technically proficient.

Hi Scannan

Nice suggestion :-)

To help users understand the concept I found a fine description of how the Master File Table works:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365230(v=vs.85).aspx

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. In the current "Boot time defrag" you can choose to defrag either the Pagefile, the MFT or the System files - or you can choose to defrag all of them. In the report you can see what was defragged.

Hi Roedy Green

Thank you for theexcellent suggestion. I am sure it will be of great interest to users. It would be great if you could expand on your post and give a detailed description of how to do the actions you suggest. It would help the help the users who are not so technically proficient.

Archived