IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Defrag Mapped Drive?

NotEntirelyDim

I've mapped a network drive (to a letter and everything) and would like to defrag it from time to time. Yet the drive letter doesn't appear in SmartDefrag's list of available drives. How do I get SmartDefrag to look for/recognize mapped network drives? (Have searched forums & FAQs & found nothing on the subject.)

TIA for any advice yo can offer!

There is a 'Scroll-slider' on right side of SD window,

if you have more than 4 drives or partitions.

Did you try that ?

This is a Physical drive, correct? Not a Vertual drive?

Note - If Windows File-manager sees the network-drive, SD should Also, if it has a SATA type connection

No Scroll Bars. Yes, physical drive.

Thanks for responding! There are no scroll bars anywhere. There are buttons for adding files & folders to the list to be managed, however the mapped drive (in my case, to drive letter N) doesn't appear in their 'add folder' dialog box. However, under 'Network' the drive shows up as other computers do. IOW: I see my computer, my wife's, and the network drive.

To address your questions: Yes, it's a separate, physical hard drive, connected directly to my router via Ethernet cable. It's a stand-alone WD Cloud drive, so I suppose it's got some sort of computer inside. I would think that having it mapped to a drive letter, though, should be enough for a Windows application to see it as just another disk drive. To answer your last comment: Yes, it DOES appear in Windows Explorer. Specifically: Desktop > Computer > Public (192.168.1.120) (N:) where 'Public' is a portion designated as available for users.

It's mapped using WD's software, and I think that's fairly new technology, compared to Windows anyway, so other vendors may not have developed ways to handle disks connected this way. [i haven't checked WD for defragmentation tools, as I'd rather just use one tool for the whole computer, but if it comes to that, then I guess I'll have to.]

I'd be curious to know if SmartDefrag sees mapped network drives (a.k.a. "shares") that are physically on servers. That technology's been around for a really long time now.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Regards,

Cc

Oh Okay, I've seen the 'Western Digital My Book' but have not used it yet.

Yes, it acts more like a Server, on the network,

not an external-drive.

So, my guess is that SD will not access the cloud-drive,

since it is really in another computer on the network. :-(

I think Windows-8 has a simple Defrag program with it? (I know W-7 does)

(in W-7 it's at \system32\dfrgui.exe )

Have you tried that?

No-Go on Windows 8

Thanks again. Hate to sound like a snob, but, no, I hadn't even considered using the Windows defrag, since historically it had been so limited.

Just checked, and accessing the defrag utility is via drive Properties. The C:/ drive has a "Tools" tab with defrag on in, however the mapped drive Properties does not have a tools tab.

Come to think of it, I've never tried to defrag a network share either (since it usually wasn't my job in the first place) so I shouldn't be surprised that defragging something that's essentially the equivalent isn't possible either.

I've still got a few days left on my 90 days WD support (I think) so I'll give them a call. Thanks again for taking the time to be interested & responding!

Cc

Archived