IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

read (irregular verb)

solbjerg

Hi all native English speakers

When saying read in the past tense, doesn't most of you pronounce it "red" but write it read?

The English King Ethelred had the nickname Unready but this nickname meant that he hadn't read the signs correctly, an early form of his nickname was spelled unredy. So he was ill prepared because he hadn't read the situation correctly - if at all.

Cheers

solbjerg

but what about my username

So

is it short for

scared > frightened

or

scared > mark left by knife (scar) scarred is spelled with two r's. solbjerg

but maybe the

sacred 1 Whatever you want it to mean. solbjerg

Southhamptonian Called (the) Royal Descendant number one :-)

Roy

Read in the past tense is pronounced Red. I suppose a more sensible form would have been Readed.

It may be worth noting that you often hear young english speaking children, who are learning to talk, saying, I readed it, when explaining that they have read (red) something. It seems that our brains are wired to naturally say the thing that makes most sense...then we go to school and they rewire us to say things that make no sense.

Thank you Scannan!!

It is like I thought - and how I pronounce it too.

Yes the language wiring in our brains does work in a logical way - red (for past tense read) should be ok also in the written form, there are many words that only derive at their meaning through the context anyway in many languages.

Wouldn't that be a sound approach? :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Read in the past tense is pronounced Red. I suppose a more sensible form would have been Readed.

It may be worth noting that you often hear young english speaking children, who are learning to talk, saying, I readed it, when explaining that they have read (red) something. It seems that our brains are wired to naturally say the thing that makes most sense...then we go to school and they rewire us to say things that make no sense.

Archived