IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Clone finder delted original files and things I need. Help restoring?!

Chrysta

I have iObit's Advanced System care and it has a 'cloned file finder' and it finds and deletes them. I was under the impression that 'cloned' files were file duplicates. I don't know if that is right or not. Anyway, the thing says to be careful with it and view the files to make sure you want to delete them. I looked through some but there were thousands of files and obviously didn't want to look through every single one. Plus, I thought it was deleting duplicates and it was supposed to save one version of the file so deleting copies wouldn't be a problem cause one would still remain.

But, it deleted tons of original files! I restored the recycle bin but a good portion couldn't be restored and I had to 'skip' it and they are gone now. I used iobit's 'undelete tool' and it only restored about 100 files. Is there anything I can do to restore everything that it deleted? I can do a restore point on my computer but I don't have any restore points already made, even though it's supposed to do it automatically. I don't know if it will restore to the right time, if I am just making one now. I am so scared I lost stuff I need. I already see the weather tracker on my windows toolbar isn't working right. I have about 15 GB extra on my hard drive then I did before, that stuff is still gone!

I just installed Windows updates, I have not yet restarted the computer for those to finish, and was trying to do a couple things to clean my computer so I thought that this would clear some space.

I usually have 8-14 GB of room available on my hard drive. Isn't that plenty of room for system restore points? I am pretty sure I had it set up to make automatic points, but each time I look in there, there aren't any there. If I make a restore point now will it restore to before all the things were deleted? Will a restore even help because they are just files?

God, I am so scared. I had most of my stuff backed up. Some I didn't. Some of the stuff I didn't have backed up yet, as been restored when I restored the recycle bin, but some hasn't. I am still missing 15 or so GB!

Please help me!

Hi Chrysta

Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry to hear you have this unfortunate issue.

Firstly, Iobit clone file finder did not delete your files. You did. The finder did what it says. It found all the duplicated files. You then instructed it as to what to do with them.

The recycle bin would not be large enough to hold that many deleted files, so that is why it could not restore all of the deleted files.

Doing a system restore now will not help you, but you should investigate why your system restore is not making restore points.

The problem now is that any work you did on the pc after the files were deleted, could have overwritten the deleted files, which would mean they are gone forever.

You can google deleted file recovery programs and see what is available that might help you. There are lots of them, so you need to do some research, as some are good and some are not.

Remember that any files files you write now or any installations/updates you do now, can overwrite the deleted files....so avoid writing to the disc.

Have a look HERE in the forum, where other users had similar issues. There may be some tips for you.

I took responsibility. I know that I hit 'delete'.

If it had done what it was meant to, I would be ok with it. I have used a duplicate file finder on my external hard drive and it did just what it says, found the duplicates and deleted them, keeping one version of the file. But what this did.... I don't even know. I have maybe 2000 pictures in my pic folders and every single one was gone (and certainly wasn't the only things deleted). None of them were doubles! I think the clone thing found 64,000 files or something, which I admit, seemed a little odd, but I glanced through some of it and didn't recognize the file names, figured if there are duplicates, I don't need them and it would keep one version of the file. Well, it didn't. The fundamental job it was supposed to (was under the guise of doing), it did not do!

When I have a system care program, I trust it will CARE for my system and not delete system files needed to run the computer or files that are not duplicates. I should be able to trust in a program meant for system care, I should not have to research online what horrible consequences it may have to use a program that is there in essence to help, not harm. I have taken responsibility for clicking the delete button, when clearly, I should not have. But it is immensely irresponsible for iObit to have this in their free program, and to have the program even be capable of deleting necessary files. If I go to a doctor to help me and they make me sicker, yes, it is my fault for trusting them, but it isn't ultimately their fault!

I'm sorry, I'm being harsh, it's obviously not directed at you, but the company.

I will try a data recovery program.... maybe a can trust it won't ruin my computer. And I do have most of my stuff backed up, but I don't even know what I have lost!

You can bet I will uninstall iObit when this is done. They have definitely lost a customer!

I understand fully why you are upset, and I am sorry you have had this bad experience.

However, I really cannot understand how all your files were deleted, and not just the duplicates. By default when it lists the cloned files, it automatically leaves one file un-checked. Unless you deliberately tick this file then only the cloned files will be removed and the un-ticked one will remain.

Additionally, you can select Safe Mode in the Clone finder GUI and this will prevent System Directories and any other important directories which you may wish to add from being scanned.

You can also select which files you wish to find such as jpg...doc...pdf etc... so you can find the clones of various file types one at a time or in groups, or avoid certain files from being deleted by de-selecting them. I think Iobit have built in many safeguards to this program.

However, if it removed un-ticked files, and you are absolutely sure that this is the case, then Iobit need to address your issue.

Thank you.

I clicked the button to keep the latest version of each file. No, I did NOT tick the other files. From what I saw, there was one box unchecked for each file. I know for certain that all of my pictures and other files that I have so far seen that are gone, did NOT have duplicates.

I guess I am going to use Recuva and swallow whatever I can't get back. I did have most of my stuff backed up. I shouldn't lose too much in the long run. But the program definitely didn't do what it should have.

I have run some tests since you first posted and it only deleted those files which were ticked. The un-ticked file was untouched every time. I did however note that the deleted files were not sent to the recycle bin so you were lucky if your files were sent there. Maybe Iobit need to have another look at this.

Have a look HERE....it may give you some ideas. I hope all works out positively for you.

I have run some tests since you first posted and it only deleted those files which were ticked. The un-ticked file was untouched every time. I did however note that the deleted files were not sent to the recycle bin so you were lucky if your files were sent there. Maybe Iobit need to have another look at this.

Have a look HERE....it may give you some ideas. I hope all works out positively for you.

Hi Scannan,

Thanks for your timely and kind reply. We have also received email feedback from Chrysta and will continue to follow up this issue.

Cheers.:-)

Archived