IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

An interesting argument?

Ted

Many years ago, when I turned eighteen, I had to spend fourteen weeks in the Royal New Zealand Airforce as a Compulsory Military Training (CMT) cadet. I was assigned to the Signals branch as I was serving an apprenticeship in Radio Servicing at the time (TV hadn't been heard of then).

There were two "University" types in our unit and some of the things they used to argue about in the evening really fascinated the rest of us.

The one I remember most of all was the theory that "If a fly settled on the Sydney Harbour Bridge it would sag!" Both of these guys had valid arguments for and against and they spent many nights on that subject. As far as I can remember, it was never resolved.

Hi IFP

In this context it means "to sink, droop, or settle from pressure or weight"

You play on the word is another ball game :-)

Ted

Interesting question - but I think almost impossible to decide, temperature- day-night-atmospheric pressure - high tide- low tide - sunspots - distance from the sun - distance maybe even from the center of our galaxy and a host of other considerations have to be in the equation I think.

One could of course as a rough approximation place 100 ton on the middle of the bridge and then measure the sag and then divide it by the correlation between the weight of (your/the) fly and the hundred ton. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

whats sag mean? lol you should join the royal marines(try to).

"Remember boys, flies cause disease-so keep yours closed!"

ever watch Band of Brothers? Great movie.

Hi, solbjerg,

Yes, a complex poser indeed when considering all the variables. I like your suggestion of a weight comparison between the fly and the 100 ton load to calculate the sag ratio, though.

I'm leaving my PC for a few days, so I'd like to wish everyone here a very enjoyable and safe Christmas.

Have a heart-warming Christmas Ted.

I'm going to my oldest son and his wife and my granddaughter - most of my other children also will also be there this Christmas.

Cheerio

solbjerg

Hi, solbjerg,

Yes, a complex poser indeed when considering all the variables. I like your suggestion of a weight comparison between the fly and the 100 ton load to calculate the sag ratio, though.

I'm leaving my PC for a few days, so I'd like to wish everyone here a very enjoyable and safe Christmas.

Hi IFP

In this context it means "to sink, droop, or settle from pressure or weight"

You play on the word is another ball game :-)

Ted

Interesting question - but I think almost impossible to decide, temperature- day-night-atmospheric pressure - high tide- low tide - sunspots - distance from the sun - distance maybe even from the center of our galaxy and a host of other considerations have to be in the equation I think.

One could of course as a rough approximation place 100 ton on the middle of the bridge and then measure the sag and then divide it by the correlation between the weight of (your/the) fly and the hundred ton. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

yeah i know what sag means but idk if they use it as a slang or something in the UK, never thought a fly could droop(lol).

My first thought was that since the fly definitely has mass, then of course it will affect the bridge. But then it occurred to me that depending on the strength of the materials in the bridge, there may a minimum weight required to produce measurable sag (deflection). So even though the fly adds to the mass of the bridge, there may be no detectable sag. That's another interesting thought: there may indeed be sag, but instrument resolution may so course as to completely miss it. If there's no measurable change is there change?

So I guess the answer to this would be to figure out how many flies it would take to create enough sag in the bridge to register on the instruments and divide the amount of sag by the number of flies on the bridge.But then of course, the control would have to be that all the flies are of exactly the same weight and would have to be positioned at exactly the same spot on the bridge.

(Boy, the things we do with idle time!):razz:

samr.

How about this one

My pc is 4 years old. It was xp2, until Microsoft up graded it To xp3. If a fly lit on my pc and deleted xp3, so that I now it was xp2 again, could I once again use my re installation cd to upgrade or repair my pc? Ok you experts I'm waiting for your answer. I forgot who it was that still had xp2, but would like to hear from you. My cd won't allow me to do that any longer since up grade toxp3[garybear]PS And would it sag?? lol

Hi garybear,

If you have a real XP SP2 install CD, and if you remove SP3, you should be able to use the CD again to repair and troubleshoot. According to Microsoft, SP3 is removeable. It's as simple as using the Add/Remove Programs utility. Be sure to create a system restore point first, just in case.

Of course SP3 will probably show up again on one of the next updates. You'll need to look at the details of the update...don't choose express install; that automatically installs all pending updates. When you find the SP3 update you can uncheck it and tell update to never tell you about it again.

Hey Dave are you serious? I was just fooling around with Ted's thread,trying to be funny.I have re installation cd MICROSOFT WINDOWS XPHOME EDITION INCLUDING SERVICE PACK 2. It won't let me do upgrade or repair any more. Are you saying it would if I remove sp3? That would be so cool . I wouldn't care if it showed up again, after I got my repair done.I'm sure going to try that next time I have trouble.I hope I never have to try that, but who knows whats going to happen with these dumb computers. I would use my back ups first, after system restore of course. I'm using DVD's to back up now, but thinking about buying a USB. I'm not a big timer in computers ,but I sure enjoy this forum and learning new things from you guys. You guys are the best, and I really mean that;all of you. This has really been a blessing finding this forum ,and asc3. I learn every day from you guys. THANKS[garybear]

Don't get too excited yet...............

Hi Dave-nice link,but Gary,more than the SP3 patch stands in your way to make that Disk useful again.Here's four that come to mind right off the bat-IE7(good luck trashing that beast)Windows Media Player(no problem)MS.NET Framework,any MS Office(Works) upgrades,and @45 other security updates to Win in general.To go through this hell is insane-been there,done that.I too regret the SP3 patch and installation of IE7.The only foolproof way to do this(the way I'll do it next time I'm broke bad)is to delete it all and reinstall your OS with the XP2 Disk.Bear in mind this is best if you have the additional disks for MS Works,Drivers and Utilities,and Cyberlink(or equivalent)DVD software.Simple Add/Remove is not going to cut it here-MS designs much of it's software to set it's hooks in deep.Anybody tells you they came away with a working PC after uninstalling IE7,is either full of it,or has the expertise to write software and registry entries.Trying to remove all these updates to return to SP2 status is like trying to take down your Christmas decorations with a chainsaw-It ain't going to be pretty-best advice-deal with what you have til it's broke so bad you have to reinstall your OS-it's way easier than the mess you will make for yourself,only to wind up reinstalling anyway-Sorry to rain on your parade-Did I mention,nice avatar-Happy New Year!!

An interesting argument

Thanks detailer. I guess that dxxx fly broke the bridge. I won't be trying that way for sure, but it sounded good any way. I was just trying to be funny about your fly. It sounds like you tried it and it wasn't pleasant, so I'll benefit from your mistake and not try to go back. It sounds like ie7 is bad news. I just installed fire fox, and was thinking about deleting ie7. Is that not a good idea? Why is it so hard to get rid of ie7? I don't plan to ever use ie7 again. That darn Bill Gates. Thanks guys. Let me know if I shouldn't delete ie7, will leave it alone for now.[garybear

Actually, if the uninstall goes without a hitch you won't be any worse off than you were just before you installed SP3. Same boat I'm in with my SP2 install CD. Neither Works nor Office nor the dot.net frameworks nor IE7 are a part of my OS CD either. That's just the way it is. Nothing that a fresh install and 2-3 hours with MS Update won't fix. :-P

garybear - detailer is right about IE7. Microsoft has made Internet Explorer a core component of the operating system. 10 years or so ago the US Department of Justice sued Microsoft on the grounds that bundling Internet Explorer with Windows, requiring retailers to sell it and customers to buy it, was an abuse of it's monopoly. The DOJ sort of won but the findings were overturned. There's a Wiki overview here. From that point on Microsoft had a great incentive to truly integrate IE into Windows.

Thanks for the Memories

Great link Dave-I laughed my ass off when I saw those old file tapes of Gates,vaguely remembering the coverage on CNN-been ten years already?Gary-in a nutshell,any updates or upgrades to any MS application from it's original state as written on the SP2 disk that you own precludes that disk from being utilized(to any effective degree) in the "System File Checker" found within ASC.But it still does maintain one value,which is explained here.So don't make it a frisbee just yet,because mine has set some things right that I've broken in the past.I keep it right here on the desk,just in case.Happy New Year!!

• 2 months later...

Mother Nature

deville-Very clever-Sorry I thought this thread was long dead.And if God was a woman,presumed to have the ability to read our thoughts,we'd be wrong from the moment we opened our eyes in the morning! I want to take a moment to revisit the IE7/SP3 issue.Seems the reason for the great difficulty(in my case)of removing this combo lies in the order I unknowingly installed them.I have confirmed through other sources and another PC that upgrading to IE7 before applying the SP3 patch was the culprit.When installed in this order,neither one will show up as line items in the add/remove menu.Special removal procedures are outlined in various MS documents.In my case,a rash of errors trying to implement the procedures left me in a position where I had no alternative(due to disgust and lack of patience) to abort the mission and reinstall both programs.Creating needed files via the MS HTML Workshop was enough of a hassle,but then being stopped during the procedure to supply the "path" for these files was the last straw.So,for SP2 users,(Dave)best keep it that way.But if you choose to upgrade either or both of these programs,here's a little rhyme to remember-"SP3 before IE".I know with Vista's time on earth,and the coming of "7" this info is for an old and dying breed such as myself,but it just might save some die hard out there somewhere.

Archived