IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Chkdsk unable to start

solbjerg

Yeah, I wrote them a mail where I said that I thought it would be detrimental to their sales. (It took me a couple of days - trying this and that - even though the first one I tried was the Windows install cd and the recovery console, - that worked - but I wanted to find out why it had happened, and I finally found it in AVG FAQ's)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi again-Just glad to hear you have it sorted out.I'm surprised mine hasn't gone south with all of the security I run.But then,no AVG here.

Thanks for the info solbjerg, as you know I have been trying to sort this out myself. I also contacted Grisoft and told them I found this behavior unacceptable, and asked if there are plans to rectify it soon, or should I just un-install it now? I am awaiting the response. Could be interesting.

samr.

Yes samr

I uninstalled it with revo, to get it uninstalled completely, Grisoft has a little downloadable program that can remove it completely too. It is also possible to try to install the program again. It will then ask you if you want to remove it - and if you want to remove everything.

After my uninstall and my chkdsk I downloaded the newest version and installed that, wrote my license number, but only got the use of the program for a month.

So now I am having license problems too :-) :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks for the info solbjerg, as you know I have been trying to sort this out myself. I also contacted Grisoft and told them I found this behavior unacceptable, and asked if there are plans to rectify it soon, or should I just un-install it now? I am awaiting the response. Could be interesting.

samr.

Hi samr

A comprehensive article about chkdsk can be found in this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/218461

Doesn't solve our problem as far as I have tried though

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes samr

I uninstalled it with revo, to get it uninstalled completely, Grisoft has a little downloadable program that can remove it completely too. It is also possible to try to install the program again. It will then ask you if you want to remove it - and if you want to remove everything.

After my uninstall and my chkdsk I downloaded the newest version and installed that, wrote my license number, but only got the use of the program for a month.

So now I am having license problems too :-) :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi samr

Grisoft (AVG) has now solved this problem with their new program version 8.0.233. One of the recent automatic updates by me took care of the problem.

Fairly quick I think, so a thumbs up from me again.

Cheers

solbjerg

samr.

• 2 months later...

chkdsk

I just down loaded avg8.5, and its the first time in a long long time that I have been able to run chkdsk and get a winlogon.It looks like avg was the problem. I get one problem fixed and another one pops up. Thats the life of a PC (LOL) Live well my friends.[garybear]PS Been busy. My PC seems to be running really well, but never know what tomarrow will bring.

Hi gary

AVG solved the problem a while back with the program version 8.0.233.

As I wrote in my post.

But perhaps if you run the free version they only update the definitions and not the program itself?

This means that if they do come up with a program update, you have to download it yourself the get the benefit from that, I suppose.

Cheers

solbjerg

I just down loaded avg8.5, and its the first time in a long long time that I have been able to run chkdsk and get a winlogon.It looks like avg was the problem. I get one problem fixed and another one pops up. Thats the life of a PC (LOL) Live well my friends.[garybear]PS Been busy. My PC seems to be running really well, but never know what tomarrow will bring.

Thanks

Hi solbjerg. I think I understand what your saying. I read your post about AVG fixing chkdsk when you first posted about it. I was doing AVG updates, but I guess it wasn't up dating the program, I just blew it off, thinking AVG fixed the problem. AVG notified me of the new program AVG8.5 ,and right after down load , my chkdsk started working again. All is well again. I guess I learned some thing. Up dates don't always give you the latest version of a program. I think I'm saying that right, at least thats what happened with AVG. Thanks for your post. Live well my friend.[garybear]

Hi gary

Yes my guess is that the free version doesn't update the program automatically, - only the virus-definitions I think.

I run the pro version myself and have done so for a while, so I do not remember. - but I do remember updating the program manually several times while I had the free version.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg. I think I understand what your saying. I read your post about AVG fixing chkdsk when you first posted about it. I was doing AVG updates, but I guess it wasn't up dating the program, I just blew it off, thinking AVG fixed the problem. AVG notified me of the new program AVG8.5 ,and right after down load , my chkdsk started working again. All is well again. I guess I learned some thing. Up dates don't always give you the latest version of a program. I think I'm saying that right, at least thats what happened with AVG. Thanks for your post. Live well my friend.[garybear]

Archived