IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASUS PRIME Z590M-PLUS - WIndows 10 freezes

I've been using ASC with ASUS products for years with no problems, but now I have one.
I built 2 systems using a new PRIME Z590M-PLUS motherboard.

Now when ASC Ultimate is installed, the systems will run fine for a few hours, but then Windows 10 will freeze and/or no complete a Windows software reboot.
When I uninstall ASC, the systems will operate fine for days.
When I re-install ASC, the systems freeze in a few hours.

I tried working with ASUS support, but none of their recommendations solve this issue.
Thank you!

You give very little info.

If you install ASCU but do not let it run anything, is there still an issue.

Does the issue only occur when ASCU performs a particular function.

Does this issue only happen when you use one of the Toolbox functions.

Have you tried switching off Realtime protection.

Do you have the Automatically Fix option selected.

Sorry, I'll try to provide more info.

The performance monitor is running and open.  I am not opening ASC, but anything that autoloads at boot time is running.

I will check and disable realtime protection and same for Auto Fix (I did not enable this so I think it is disabled, but will double check).

Since I have installed and uninstalled ASC several times on this system, you can assume it is being installed with defaults.
I can try using IOBit uninstaller to really clean up after an uninstall, and then re-install ASC.

Thank you!

Ok.....there is no point in continuously uninstalling and reinstalling the program. This obviously has not solved the issue.

Install ASCU ( if you have not done so already). Open Quick Settings and turn everything off.

Also go into main settings and turn off anything that may start automatically at boot up. Make sure these changes are saved.

Now restart your pc and see if the issue continues.

You can leave the Performance Monitor on.

Thank you.  Will try as ASAP, and report back.

FYI, the reason I keep un-install & re-install is b/c ASUS support has me trying various things.  Then after it crashes, I un-install so my wife/son can use the systems.

The frustrating part is that I have used ASC on several ASUS motherboards and laptops for years without any troubles.

Edited by Nedstand

I'm not claiming to be an expert at reading these logs.  I look and find similar errors between the 2 systems:

System A

Log Name:      System
Source:        EventLog
Date:          6/27/2021 5:50:59 PM
Event ID:      6008
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      DESKTOP-1UT422J
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 3:59:28 PM on ‎6/‎26/‎2021 was unexpected.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          6/26/2021 3:54:15 PM
Event ID:      7034
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      DESKTOP-1UT422J
Description:
The Energy Server Service queencreek service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 4 time(s).

System B

Log Name:      System
Source:        EventLog
Date:          6/27/2021 5:50:29 PM
Event ID:      6008
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      DESKTOP-OOMSIMO
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 3:15:02 PM on ‎6/‎26/‎2021 was unexpected.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          6/26/2021 9:18:58 AM
Event ID:      7034
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      DESKTOP-OOMSIMO
Description:
The Energy Server Service queencreek service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 2 time(s).

Both these systems are fresh builds, about 2 months ago.  Fresh Win 10 Pro install, latest drivers, etc.  I think the issue(s) lie in that this motherboard is a new product from Asus, and there may be bugs to work out.

I'm using both the Asus EZ Update utility and Intel's driver assistant to make sure I have the latest drivers & BIOS.

Edited by Nedstand

I agree....however even with a new build, a reinstall of a utility with the latest version sometimes corrects errors.

Especially after windows patches/updates, as there has been quite a few issues between windows and intel recently..

Sorry, I misunderstood.  Anyway, after uninstalling the Intel Driver utility, the system crashed a few hours later, so I do not think that is the offending software.

So far, the smoking gun points to ASC and this motherboard, as the systems run fine w/o ASC installed.
I do have Intel Optane memory installed on these systems, so I think next up is to disable the Optane, and see if they crash.

It is very strange.

The fact that it happens even when all the functions of ASCU are disabled, including realtime protection is strange.

It might be worth looking in task Manager, when ASCU is installed but all the functions are disabled, to see if any ASCU processes

are still running. Remember also that as ASCU is also an Antivirus program, to look for processes related to Bitdefender.

Yes, it appears there are 3 ASC processes running.  I have disabled everything I can find in setting as far as background programs/processes.

Also, I notice that when I open ASC, and then close it immediately, I get a popup in lower right (screenshot attached) that says ASC is still protecting your PC.

I'm also wondering if this Armory Crate is a problem.  That is a download from ASUS, but I do not have it installed on my other ASUS systems.

ASC popup.png

Taskman.png

Edited by Nedstand

I had a feeling that ASCU would still be running. As with most Antivirus programs, it is almost impossible to disable it completely.

I suggest stopping the ASCU service(s), and changing the status to manual, and see if it helps.

Also, I was curious as to the reason you want ASCU on your pc's. Is it purely for the Antivirus element.

As for the ....Armoury Crate is a unified software center which allows you to download and update your motherboard drivers and utilities, adjust device lighting control and various other functions.....

Actually, I disable ASC anti-virus as we use Avast suite for anti-virus and other security features.
I use ASC for system tuning, cleanup, the uninstaller, and I really like the performance monitor, esp the screen capture utility.

I will try disabling the ASC services after I see if the Optane memory is the issue.  My gut tells me if the ASC services were the issue, I would have seen problems on my other systems which run ASC using defaults (other than disabling the anti-virus)

Ok...now that is essential information.

Having two antivirus programs on your pc is recognised as a bad idea. They tend to create issues due to conflicts.

So, even though you have "disabled" the AV in ASCU, there is a great chance that it may still be conflicting with Avast.

As for having the same problem on other systems....you have said yourself that you believe the new ASUS board may be an issue on the

problem systems.

I suggest that you uninstall ASCU and download and install ASC. This will give you all the tuning/cleanup/performance monitor functions you like

without the AV.

Also, before uninstalling ASCU, you could try disabling fully AVAST (temporarily) and see if you still have the issue.

You should download only from the Majorgeeks site.

OK, I hear you that running 2 anti-virus is not a good idea, but I have been using this setup for years using 3 other ASUS platforms:

ASUS VivoBook 17 F712DA Thin and Light Laptop
ASUS TUF Motherboard ATX DDR4 2667 LGA 1151 Sabertooth Z170 S
ASUS LGA1151 DDR4 DisplayPort HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Mini-ITX Motherboard Z170I PRO Gaming

I also have been running ASC and Avast on laptops from HP & Acer, as well as Intel NUC computers.  Seems to me that if these programs were in conflict, I would see it on the at least one of the other systems also, if not all of them.

My hunch is that what sets the new systems apart is the newer Z590 chipset and the Optane Memory.  There's probably more, but those two come to mind first.