IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

AWC Optimizations List

Clayton

Hi folks,

There were a few requests for a description of the optimizations made to your computer by AWC so this thread will hopefully answer these requests. If you have a question, post a optimization that you are unsure of and I will do my best to answer it (and anyone else that wants to can answer or add so long as it's accurate :)

THIS SECTION CONTAINS ALL OPTIMIZATIONS AS THEY ARE REQUESTED BY USERS (each separated by ***** after a response)

OPTIMZE FILE SYSTEM

Okay, enoskype. To answer your question on what "Optimize File System" does, I first have to start out by agreeing with you that there is a possibility that this simply optimizes boot time performace- possibly by forcing Bootvis to run at the next restart (if you're running XP it should automatically run itself every so often) and this should place files (especially layout.ini) in an optimal layout on your disk.

Here is my other idea is that this optimization is one mostly for Windows 98 and ME. If this is the case, then this should optimize your computer according to its role (Desktop, Network Server, or Mobile System). Basically, this means that for the Desktop, you are connected to a power supply at all times and have sufficient memory. For Network, it is assumed that your computer is running on a battery and has little RAM and so this optimization will flush your disk cache often. For Network Server, it is assumed that you have both sufficient RAM and that you need frequent access to your disk (a lot of disk activity) and so this optimization also optimizes for high disk activity and useage.

In more detail, this optimization changes the following on your computer: 1) PathCache- the cache that saves the information about the mru directly paths and optimizes so that the system does not have to search this path many times by storing it in the virtual file allocation table. On a desktop there are 32 paths, 64 for a Network Server, and 16 for a mobile computer.

2) NameCache- this works in unison with the PathCache and stores information about the location of file names so that the system does not have to search. There is about 8KB stored for Desktop, 16 for Network Server, and 4 for Mobile computer.

3) BufferIdleTimeout, BufferAgeTimeout, and VolumeIdleTimeout all manage the time for the changes to be swapped from the buffer to the disk itself.

Of course, just a guess so I think I may have Tim review this response, Haha

FINDFLAGS

Apparently this optimization is used for searching capabilities- specifically within documents and web pages and such. When you search for a term, the computer should automatically omitt any word searches of less than two characters. Findflags is an "optimization" that can optimize the way the computer searches for whole word/text strings and possibly even case sensitive characters.

Any one to confirm this?

OPTIMIZE CRASH CONTROL

This is simply an optimization to prevent error reporting. Basically it speeds up your computer because when an error occurs, your computer does not take more time (and thus possibly making the error greater or significantly slowing down your computer during an error- no fun at all) to gather information about the error to send to Microsoft for analysis. Generally, error reporting is a superfluous process and doesn't even work if you are not right then connected to the internet. Ever heard of the "I agree to submit anonymous personal usage data" agreements in the installations of some software (like Google or Microsoft)? This is generally the same concept. If an error occurs, the manufacturer is notified and does not always take any measure to correct the error, especially if, and it most often is, a user-generated problem or simple error that should not be a threat to your security or stability.

DESKTOP PROCESS

This is, I believe, simply a change made to your system to load the desktop process separate from the regular explorer process. In a nutshell, have you ever used ctrl+alt+dlt to end a process/task that was malfunctioning and then when you closed it all your desktop icons and start menu bar simply disappeared? This is because the processes are regularly (by default) one and the same so by running this process separately you may have some added stability and less hassle. (This also helps prevent confusion with the tray notification area icons after the start menu would reappear as oftentimes not all icons reappear in the tray.)

As far as I know, this may even speed up windows start up by allocating more CPU usage to loading the now smaller explorer process first. I can't say for sure on that, though.

TCP OPTIMIZE

Basically (though this isn't the actual name of the optimization) this is going to change the speed of your internet connection by the internet connection type you chose when you installed AWC. This changes the maximum outbound connection, attempts, etc. as well as increases the size of fragment you can receive in your current window size (not like an explorer window but internet window) meaning that you can take larger packets of data at once without being verified. This is only beneficial to be set higher for users with fast internet as they can take more data faster without having to have it checked in smaller bits, as you would find with something like dial-up.

NOTE* if you look in the forums you will find a tool called TCP Optimizer (I believe) which does this same process for both IE and firefox and it does a much more thorough job, though it is still in beta testing.

Hi Clayton,

I will start it with one optimization that I did not see before.

-----------------------__________________________________________________ ________________________

-----------------------Optimization (1 problems found)----Registry Key------Current Value-------Recommended

System Configuration-__________________________________________________ __________________________

---------------------------Optimize File System-------------Enable--------------N--------------------Y------

-----------------------___________________________________ _______________________________________

My guess is optimization of the boot files concerning Layout.ini file, but I am not sure.

Please advice.

Great explanation, thanks Clayton.

Mine is XP, and I assume the first paragraph applies.

.....memory. For Network, it is assumed that your computer is running on a battery and has little RAM and so this optimization will flush your disk cache often. For........

Don't you think "For Network" in the above partial quote in the middle of second paragraph should read as "Mobile Computer" or "Mobile computer on Network"?

I have a couple of entries like the one below that have the current value and the recommended value both listed as N/A. I'm confused as to how this change can optimize anything if the recommended value has no value? This is also one of the registry entries that I have no idea what it's supposed to do if you make the change.

*Optimization*

Explorer Problems - View

PS Thanks for making this a sticky thread Clayton.

Hi,

enoskype, to answer your question, by "Network" I was referring to "Network Server" meaning a server, not a network set up between computers.

P.S. I will get back to catprincess' question as soon as I figure out what this one does haha. If it is an explorer issue, however, I assume it has something to do with optimizing the use of regedit and because it says N/A, it is possible this is only available on an older version of Windows OS (I assume you are probably using XP?)

Thanks Sam. I assume the same applies for this similar entry below. The only thing I am confused about with these entries is why the recommended value is listed the same as the current value. To me that doesn't seem like it's changing anything. I guess it doesn't really matter if making the change makes the entry disappear, I am just curious.

*Optimization*

Explorer Problems - FindFlags

hi catprincess,

I have a response for the findflags optimization although again you may need more specification as to what it does.

I am not, however, allowed to post registry entries or "how to manually fix youself" summaries on the forums- sorry. As you can understand, it is helpful for the reader but also harmful to the company and wasteful of my time trying to help IObit if the consumers do not need to use software created by such companies. Additionally, other companies would very easily utilize such information for their own purposes and because this is not my software and my work I cannot disclose this information (even what little I might know).

So sorry for the hefty bit of "business practice" speech right there but I hope you can all understand (this isn't directed towards catprincess) that this information is not mine to disclose. I will, however, continue to do my best to reply to your posts in other threads as well as answer basic questions as to what each optimization does (without specifics as how it works).

If you would, also, please do not post the registry entries any longer in the posts, just the optimization name should be fine for me to help you all out

Sorry Clayton. I read the forum rules and it didn't say anything about not posting registry entries so I didn't realise I was doing anything wrong. I won't do it again and I edited the two I already posted.

I don't entirely understand what you are saying about manually fixing things. I don't want to manually fix anything. I want AWC to do it for me. The only reason I want to know what the entries do is so I don't break something by making a change I don't understand.

As a hypothetical example, say I really can't live without taskbar animations. Well if I let AWC perform all optimizations I would then be very upset to find my taskbar animations are gone. My ignorance could mean my internet connection gets broken or something serious happens because I didn't know what I was doing when I allowed an optimization.

I hope you understand what I mean now and I am really sorry if I inadvertently caused you or IOBit any trouble.

PS I just found your reply on the FindFlags entry. Thanks for the explanation.

Just a notification... the optimizations are now updated to include desktop process and optimize crash control.

Just notifying you because I'm not sure if the forums notify you guys automatically when I edit the top post.

Thanks for the desktop process explanation, Clayton.

I think the thread's title appears in bold when a post has been edited but I don't know if that happens only when you edit the top post or if it happens when any posts below are edited.

I have another optimization that I'm not sure about.

Optimize TCP/IP - Class

Clayton,

With regards to the TCP/IP optimizations you referred to below, is it better not to make these optimizations if you have dial-up then? I didn't choose a connection type in AWC, I think it's set on general unless you purchase the Pro version.

TCP OPTIMIZE

Basically (though this isn't the actual name of the optimization) this is going to change the speed of your internet connection by the internet connection type you chose when you installed AWC. This changes the maximum outbound connection, attempts, etc. as well as increases the size of fragment you can receive in your current window size (not like an explorer window but internet window) meaning that you can take larger packets of data at once without being verified. This is only beneficial to be set higher for users with fast internet as they can take more data faster without having to have it checked in smaller bits, as you would find with something like dial-up.

NOTE* if you look in the forums you will find a tool called TCP Optimizer (I believe) which does this same process for both IE and firefox and it does a much more thorough job, though it is still in beta testing.

Hi catprincess,

I am running AWC on Win 2000 with dial-up connection. I didn't run the TCP tool, but I did let AWC repair internet connection and it really helped. I would let AWC repair connection.

samr.

Hey catprincess,

I agree with samr- you should still let AWC optimize. The Pro version allows for more specific tuning of window size but other values (like number of requests, etc.) will still be modified. Basically, windows XP (especially after installing service pack 2) implements a bunch of bottlenecks on your computer that supposedly help with "security" when in reality they slow you down. A perfect example is that after installing sp2, your internet connections are changed so that windows says that it helps stop viruses and trojans from spreading when in reality it only helps them from spreading to *other people's computers- not your own. Your still not safe but now your internet is slowed so that other people can be safe.

...I'm ranting but I think you get the picture

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

personal VS pro

about optimization... on the Pro version, you can decide what you use your comp for, do you want more speed, more "comfort", more "advice". Depending on what you pick up, AWC will optimize it differently, and let some programs run, or stop them. On the personal version, you cannot pick up the category you want, and I have had some surprising (for me) results, finding some programs i had stopped running for instance, or my selective start up modified, with a couple of things I do not want at start up sticking up after running AWC personal. Now that I know what it is, I don't mind, but it kept me wondering before i understood where it came from. More explanations about what AWC does would be nice.

I completely agree...

As for now the help menu is minimal and what should be done is that it is expanded to explain more to the user what exactly AWC is doing without simply giving away optimization secrets to competitors. I'm sure there is a healthy medium somewhere. Of course, a general approach may be useful that categorizes some optimizations together and gives a collective sum of their effect on the system (as some optimizations may be very similar such as crash reporting and error reporting.)

• 2 months later...

False System Settings : ntfsdisable8dot3namecreation

HI there.

I'm aware that this key ntfsdisable8dot3namecreation, disable the creation of file names and directories on the 8.3 format (8 characters the name and 3 characters the extension).

This optimization came up after I configured my computer as "top performance" with AWC Pro.

my question is: ¿how safe is to disable that?,

If I'm no using old DOS programs then it's safe?

Thanks

Archived