IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Firmware system driver (Dell 0.1.0.8 dated 2012-12-02) breaking Windows 10

JohnDoe

Built my own PC with ASUS Z87 motherboard. Using IObit Driver Booster for a while now (on version 9 now) and recent firmware system driver update (Dell 0.1.0.8 dated 2012-12-02) to replace the generic Windows driver (10.0.22000.1 dated 2006-06-21) causes some issues. If I update the driver, after reboot the Device Manager is showing issue with that driver. If I rollback to old driver, Widows goes into diagnostic/repair mode and cannot boot. Had to reinstall.

Agreed, but IObit listed this driver as an update for my system. It obviously scanned my current drivers and offered this one. I'm not saying the Windows or the Dell drivers are bad, just saying IObit offering it as an update on a non-Dell system might at times be a mistake that will lead to unbootable systems.

I'm to blame for not paying attention, however IObit might want to take a look at when/why this driver is offered as an update on non Dell systems.

Hello,

Since the environment of each PC is different, we need the tool to get the information about your system and the operation of our program.

Please download https://cdn.iobit.com/dl/db/debug/DBInfoHelper.exe > double click to run this tool on the problem PC > click 'Save report to Desktop' > find db_info_YYMMDD.zip on your desktop > send us the zip file.

We will analyze the file and try our best to find a solution for you.

6 hours ago, Cicely said:

Hello,

Since the environment of each PC is different, we need the tool to get the information about your system and the operation of our program.

Please download https://cdn.iobit.com/dl/db/debug/DBInfoHelper.exe > double click to run this tool on the problem PC > click 'Save report to Desktop' > find db_info_YYMMDD.zip on your desktop > send us the zip file.

We will analyze the file and try our best to find a solution for you.

Thanks for this. Not sure I need a solution as I'm ignoring that particular update, however it might prevent others having the same issue. The attached is from the reinstalled Windows 10.

db_info_20211213_i.zip

Hi there,

Thank you very much for the information. However, because you have reinstalled the system, there is no information about Driver Booster in the log. Could you please just install Driver Booster again and then scan the updates with Driver Booster first? Please DO NOT update any drivers in case the problem happens again. After that, please use the tool https://cdn.iobit.com/dl/db/debug/DBInfoHelper.exe again so that we can check which driver updates caused the problem.

Sorry for all the troubles it may bring. Your help is highly appreciated. Waiting for your reply.

12 hours ago, Cicely said:

Hi there,

Thank you very much for the information. However, because you have reinstalled the system, there is no information about Driver Booster in the log. Could you please just install Driver Booster again and then scan the updates with Driver Booster first? Please DO NOT update any drivers in case the problem happens again. After that, please use the tool https://cdn.iobit.com/dl/db/debug/DBInfoHelper.exe again so that we can check which driver updates caused the problem.

Sorry for all the troubles it may bring. Your help is highly appreciated. Waiting for your reply.

No worries, here you go. Screenshot of the culprit driver attached as well. As described in OP, if installed, system reboot required. Upon reboot, Windows Device Manager showing issue with driver. When rolling back driver in IObit, reboot required. On reboot, PC starts for a few seconds and then shuts down. It then starts again and I get the diagnostic/repair mode and cannot boot.

Screenshot.png

db_info_20211214_i.zip

Dear Driver Booster user,

It is our great honor that you love Driver Booster and use it to maintain drivers on your PC. Thank you for your trust and support.

We are really sorry for all the troubles that the firmware updates caused this time. As we all know,  the environment of each PC is different. Even if we test drivers carefully before we add them to our database, there may be such accidents that some drivers cause system problems.

Anyway, with the great help of our warmhearted users, we finally located the problem driver updates and excluded them from our database. We express our sincere gratitude to those users.  That is, users won't be provided those firmware updates when users use Driver Booster to scan.

To those users who encountered the problems, we express our apology.  To make sure the problem drivers won't be scanned out after you restore or reinstall your system, please delete the ScanData folder under the installation directory of Driver Booster (Right-click "Driver Booster" icon on the desktop > Click "Open File Location"). After that, those firmware updates are not supposed to be provided. If you still get the notification to update those firmware after that, please get information with the tool (https://cdn.iobit.com/dl/db/debug/DBInfoHelper.exe) and send us the log for investigation.

Thank you very much for your time to read this message.