IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Not enough space

Hello all,

Just downloaded 1.11 Smart Defrag...Ran the Deep defrag and it stopped at documents and settings with a defrag disk of 17%. The file is 13G. So I adjusted the setting to skip files larger than 10G. Again I ran the deep defrag...Same result...I looked at the report and the report result stated "Not enough space". Any ideas?

Thanks

Lhomme

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lhomme

Please tells us how much used space and how much free space you have.

Does it work with a lower limit? 1GB perhaps?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hello all,

Just downloaded 1.11 Smart Defrag...Ran the Deep defrag and it stopped at documents and settings with a defrag disk of 17%. The file is 13G. So I adjusted the setting to skip files larger than 10G. Again I ran the deep defrag...Same result...I looked at the report and the report result stated "Not enough space". Any ideas?

Thanks

Lhomme

Lhomme-You might want to see if you can gain a little room on your drive by running the disk clean up utility.You can also shrink your recycle bin and system restore.And though it's painfully slow,run your built in defrag utility.Then if you can get SD to run,you should be good to go from now on.

Thanks detailer, I have at least 50% left on the HD so I believe I have enough space...I ran the built in defrag with the same result...I tried running the bulit in safe mode...same result...I closed and disabled all security software...stopped all procceses...and still no to avail...ran scan disk and CHDSK. Ran all utilities in ASC...

Now, When I run SD, The status bar only shows c:\

No files are being scanned and the graphic shows only black and white boxes

quite a few black boxes.

GB to you also

Much appreciated,

Lhomme

Hi Lhomme

Did you try the sfc /scannow command in Run?

Did you have an earlier version installed beforehand?

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks detailer, I have at least 50% left on the HD so I believe I have enough space...I ran the built in defrag with the same result...I tried running the bulit in safe mode...same result...I closed and disabled all security software...stopped all procceses...and still no to avail...ran scan disk and CHDSK. Ran all utilities in ASC...

Now, When I run SD, The status bar only shows c:\

No files are being scanned and the graphic shows only black and white boxes

quite a few black boxes.

GB to you also

Much appreciated,

Lhomme

Hi solbjerg,

Thanks for the tip..I will try it out but I believe I have found the answer...

I will give it a try...But I learned from the defrag report as follows...

Lhomme

Volume (C:)

Volume size = 76.68 GB

Cluster size = 4 KB

Used space = 33.16 GB

Free space = 43.52 GB

Percent free space = 56 %

Volume fragmentation

Total fragmentation = 20 %

File fragmentation = 41 %

Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation

Total files = 60,355

Average file size = 773 KB

Total fragmented files = 2

Total excess fragments = 1,254

Average fragments per file = 1.02

Pagefile fragmentation

Pagefile size = 1.31 GB

Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation

Total folders = 5,017

Fragmented folders = 1

Excess folder fragments = 0

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation

Total MFT size = 85 MB

MFT record count = 66,103

Percent MFT in use = 75 %

Total MFT fragments = 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented

1,188 13.67 GB \Documents and Settings\f and l\My Documents\My Virtual Machines\New Virtual Machine\New Virtual Machine Hard Disk.vhd

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue

I have a 4 gig file and it won't defrag it.

The pictures are self-explanatory. :-(

C'MON! I WANT TO DEFRAG MY EXTERNAL USB/MP3 PLAYER.

Windows XP can read it and defrag it, but Vista won't. So, I was wondering if you guys can. So far, only O&O can defrag it. :(

Hi megaman

Have you tried copying those elder scrolls to a usb-stick/deleting the file from your C: drive/desktop and moving it back from the stick?

What are your settings in relation to size exclusion of files?

How much free space in your external drive?

Cheers

solbjerg

I have a 4 gig file and it won't defrag it.

The pictures are self-explanatory. :-(

C'MON! I WANT TO DEFRAG MY EXTERNAL USB/MP3 PLAYER.

Windows XP can read it and defrag it, but Vista won't. So, I was wondering if you guys can. So far, only O&O can defrag it. :(

I used delete files that didn't defrag before, and no I haven't to this one, yet.

Also, it used to defrag it before, so it's weird that it won't now. Last option is to do a sfc /scannow and a "Check Drive for Errors," and then try to defrag again.

I don't put exclusions, since I want the program to defrag everything, even take it's time, so I leave it overnight.

What external drive?

Hi megaman

Please share your findings!

From your screenshot it looked like you had an external drive, and also from your post - hence my question :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I used delete files that didn't defrag before, and no I haven't to this one, yet.

Also, it used to defrag it before, so it's weird that it won't now. Last option is to do a sfc /scannow and a "Check Drive for Errors," and then try to defrag again.

I don't put exclusions, since I want the program to defrag everything, even take it's time, so I leave it overnight.

What external drive?

Okay, I get it now. The screen shot shows 2 items: Hard Drive and DVD Burner. The DVD Burner is not included in the scan, so it's not affected, it never had really, even on the times Elder's Scrolls did get defragmented, which brought my defrags to 0.00%. Another problem that I like to note, but it doesn't matter really, is the part where I re-defragmented and my HD capacity went down from 40 to 36. It happens every time I defrag over a defrag, but that's not much of a problem with me, just noting it. XD

Edit: I thought it was the defragmenter since it happened on my XP, but since I am on a Vista laptop, the capacity leak is Window's problem. Since, after taking a screenshot with 36 gigs, I opened Firefox to post and double-checked my HDD and it went down to 33.2.

Having a similar problem

Hi Lhomme

Did you try the sfc /scannow command in Run?

Did you have an earlier version installed beforehand?

Cheers

solbjerg

I tried running the sfc/scannow from the run box, and windows started to check if its files were complete and in the right locations. Asked several times for my Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD, which I don't have since Windows came installed, and all updates have been automatic over the internet.

I also am haveing Smart Defrag not complete because of "not enough space" results. Here is from my report:

Smart Defrag version: 1.11

Disk Size: 178.37GB

Free Size: 60.86GB

Clusters: 46759182

Sectors Per Cluster: 8

Bytes Per Sector: 512

Start Defrag ...

Complete defrag ...

Elapsed time ...

Fragmented Files Count: 70

DEfragmented Files Count: 1

Fragmentation Before: 30.40%

Fragmentation After: 30.40%

ALSO, why would a programer program the report display in such a way as one cannot copy\paste the above information? I had to manually type it into this message.:roll:

Thanks in advance for your reply!

- Noel

Hi nct

About the sfc command, this is described in detail in http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=1979

I agree with the wish that SmartDefrag report ought to be able to copy the result to a .txt file.

We usually use the screenshot function to send this report to others.

The screenshot function is also described there http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=1979

Cheers

solbjerg

I tried running the sfc/scannow from the run box, and windows started to check if its files were complete and in the right locations. Asked several times for my Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD, which I don't have since Windows came installed, and all updates have been automatic over the internet.

I also am haveing Smart Defrag not complete because of "not enough space" results. Here is from my report:

Smart Defrag version: 1.11

Disk Size: 178.37GB

Free Size: 60.86GB

Clusters: 46759182

Sectors Per Cluster: 8

Bytes Per Sector: 512

Start Defrag ...

Complete defrag ...

Elapsed time ...

Fragmented Files Count: 70

DEfragmented Files Count: 1

Fragmentation Before: 30.40%

Fragmentation After: 30.40%

ALSO, why would a programer program the report display in such a way as one cannot copy\paste the above information? I had to manually type it into this message.:roll:

Thanks in advance for your reply!

- Noel

Still having "not enough space" problems

OK, I read all about the sfc command, and using my recovery disk, I got it to run allmost all the way through without asking for a disk. Still wanted about 10-15 files toward the end, and no disk seemed to have them, so just ignored them.

Installed Advanced System Care, and did a few things with it, then ran the Smart Defrag from it, and got some more defraging done, but several files as small as 350mb didn't defrag.

Still at 30% fragmented with 59gb of space available.

Skip files is set to larger than 1gb. I am going to set that to 5gb and see what happens. Any other suggestions?:cry:

One More Thing . . . .

I also tried to run the windows disk defrag program, with little more success, however there is a graphic display of the disk usage.

I have LOTS of red, and some blue and others, but VERY LITTLE white is showing, which is suppose to be free space. Since I have 33% free space, then the display SHOULD be 33% white, . . . right?

Where's the beef?:shock:

Hi nct

Would you please try to send screenshots of those two results.

Do you have very large picture/video files on the drive?

Cheers

solbjerg

I also tried to run the windows disk defrag program, with little more success, however there is a graphic display of the disk usage.

I have LOTS of red, and some blue and others, but VERY LITTLE white is showing, which is suppose to be free space. Since I have 33% free space, then the display SHOULD be 33% white, . . . right?

Where's the beef?:shock:

An answer to nct53.

Right and wrong!!!.

Think about a stuation where every and each of the clusters was 2/3 full and 1/3 free, then, not even 1 square would have been white.

On the other hand, with a perfectly defragmented drive, 1/3 would have been white.

I suspect that your 30+% fragmentation also includes high amount of fragmentation of System (unmovable) files.

I would try the Offline defragmentation and Smart Placement of trial of Perfect Disk at least once each to sort the system files.

Please try to read the posts in Think about Defragmentation!!! thread, you will find useful information there.

You can continue using Smart Defrag afterwards, and I believe you will see nearly 1/3 of the space white as empty at the end.

Cheers.

Screen Shots

Yes, in fact, all the files that report back as "not enough room" are video files, AVI's.

I have sent screen shots:

noel = Windows defrag

noel1 = Smart Defrag

noel2 = Smart Defrag report (part of)

:-)

Wow, a rare case!?!? :-o

Can you try the one I mention inthis post?

It will be interesting to know if it works in your case.

If you can, please move some of the large sized folders with large sized fragmented files to another disk first.

Try couple of the files then try the whole disk with it, may take some time.

Don't worry, the main engine is Contig.exe from Mark Russinovich cofounder of Sysinternals, who is working for MS now.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Hi nct

Strange that both defraggers show red all over the place, as if there was no free space??

I think I would try to place all video files on an usb stick. (and then run the defrag)

One could also try to take the videoes one at a time and copy it into a stick, delete it on the C: drive and then put it back from the usb stick, go through all of them and then see how it reacts to the defragmentation.

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, in fact, all the files that report back as "not enough room" are video files, AVI's.

I have sent screen shots:

noel = Windows defrag

noel1 = Smart Defrag

noel2 = Smart Defrag report (part of)

:-)

Hi nct

Try enoskype's suggestion first!

Cheers

solbjerg

Contig.exe or Power Defragmenter GUI.exe?

And should I try them FIRST, or try and move the files first? Most of the movie files are in the same directory.

Thanks!

Power Defragmenter GUI is much easier to use. Use it.

You can defrag 4 at a time with it.

They are the same anyway.

Try to move the files first to open up a space to be on the sure side.

If you have large capacity USB drive, it will do as solbjerg says.

Please keep informed, I am on the forum for a while.

Cheers.

An answer to "where's the beef" ?

I downloaded both programs, but started with contig.exe before I understood that Power Defragmenter was an interface for contig.exe.

I ran it to defrag all of the c: drive, and it has been at it for awhile, but seems to be processing the video files.

I just saw the post from enoskype at 10:12 am today, and he may be right. I sort of came to the same conclusion a little while ago.

Looking at it another way, using the windows defrag block chart, there are 18 x 59 or 1,062 blocks representing the drive area. With a 178.37GB drive, each block would represent 167.956 KB of space. If the available "free space" in each block was, lets say, less than half of that, then would the program not have to show that block in red to be representative? Who knows what the programs algorithms do when deciding how to "color" the blocks.

HOWEVER, I deleted almost 40GB of movie files ( and emptied the trash) before I started trying to defrag, so one would think there would have been plenty of areas larger than 167.9 KB

I will report back after contig.exe finishes.:wink:

- Noel

Archived