IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Anti-Virus???

Poky

Hi Maxx

Actually a stroke of genius to come up with a solution like that for keeping the computer clean, but is does require a bit of thinking on the part of the user, and one has to learn to use it.

But on the other hand, prudency and common sense has always been the best protection :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, common sense is the key all right! And when I first read about Sandboxie it made so such sense and seemed like such a prudent security strategy that I gave it a try. You are also correct in that using Sandboxie does take some time to learn how to set up Quick Recovery in order to transfer selected downloads from the Sandbox to the real computer. Provisions must also be made in order for the browser to be able to save changes to its respective App Data files on the real computer for things like bookmarks and newly saved passwords.

One great feature though is that Sandboxie rides in the context menu and you can run any program Sandboxed by simply left clicking on it and selecting 'Run Sandboxed' its that easy.

The fellow who wrote the Sandboxie software is named Tzuk and he maintains a real time presence on the Sandboxie Forums. When I went to the forum concerning some questions about file paths for my Opera 10 Browser I not only quickly received the answers I needed, but Tzuk responded by adding the file paths to the latest version of Sandboxie.

People take Sandboxie to different levels of use in their computer security. I discontinued using my Antivirus because with Sandboxie it was reduced to the function of simply announcing that there was indeed Malware in the Sandbox where closing the Browser would delete the Sandbox and eliminate the Malware anyway. I did keep my HIPS program though to replace the UAC, but there are some users who are running commando using only a software Firewall and Sandboxie as their entire computer security system without any reports of Malware infection.

Sorry to go on and on, but I've had a lot of fun with this simple yet amazing program and in the end it can be as simple or complex as anyone wants it to be.

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx

Do go on and on :-)

It is really fine that this kind of method for security is explained in detail.

There are a few other companies that offer a similar solution, do you have any experience with them?

But take care that you are not attacked by anti-virus companies for luring away customers :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, common sense is the key all right! And when I first read about Sandboxie it made so such sense and seemed like such a prudent security strategy that I gave it a try. You are also correct in that using Sandboxie does take some time to learn how to set up Quick Recovery in order to transfer selected downloads from the Sandbox to the real computer. Provisions must also be made in order for the browser to be able to save changes to its respective App Data files on the real computer for things like bookmarks and newly saved passwords.

One great feature though is that Sandboxie rides in the context menu and you can run any program Sandboxed by simply left clicking on it and selecting 'Run Sandboxed' its that easy.

The fellow who wrote the Sandboxie software is named Tzuk and he maintains a real time presence on the Sandboxie Forums. When I went to the forum concerning some questions about file paths for my Opera 10 Browser I not only quickly received the answers I needed, but Tzuk responded by adding the file paths to the latest version of Sandboxie.

People take Sandboxie to different levels of use in their computer security. I discontinued using my Antivirus because with Sandboxie it was reduced to the function of simply announcing that there was indeed Malware in the Sandbox where closing the Browser would delete the Sandbox and eliminate the Malware anyway. I did keep my HIPS program though to replace the UAC, but there are some users who are running commando using only a software Firewall and Sandboxie as their entire computer security system without any reports of Malware infection.

Sorry to go on and on, but I've had a lot of fun with this simple yet amazing program and in the end it can be as simple or complex as anyone wants it to be.

~Maxx~

Sandbox speed?

Dear Maxx,Wondering if you have slowness switching between applications online and offline w sandbox? Do you have to decide "this is online time" and dedicate completely to surfing... then come completely out just to open a text document or media file(etc)??

Hi Maxx

Do go on and on :-)

It is really fine that this kind of method for security is explained in detail.

There are a few other companies that offer a similar solution, do you have any experience with them?

But take care that you are not attacked by anti-virus companies for luring away customers :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

solbjerg- You certainly stay right up to snuff on emerging security applications! You are correct that there quite a number of Security Suites that have already or will soon include Virtual Sandboxing applications. Google Chrome uses Sandboxing for example and Comodo is set to include Sandboxing in its upcoming CIS 4.0 release along with a Time Machine.

The prevailing opinion though among current Virtual Sandbox users is that the stand alone programs are much better than the ones included in Security Suites much like Audio equipment where Seperates almost always offer a much better sound quality than integrated equipment.

Although there are quite a number of Stand Alone Virtual Sandboxing Programs available I picked Sandboxie not only because because it does an excellent job, but because it very simple ultra light on system resources allowing me to replace my original Computer Security System which included Windows Firewall, Norton and PC Tools which cost $100/year and took 320 MB of RAM to run with my current Comodo Firewall Pro, Defense+ HIPS and Sandboxie which together run for a total of an amazingly efficient 20 MB of RAM...a 1,600% reduction!

Oh well, see what running the stock Vista Memory Hog did to me! Its been fun though using performance conservation techniques like the ones I just mentioned now allows me to boot Vista UltraLite for 501 MB of RAM with the 262 MB System Cashe, Secutity System and all and run it in the 550-575 MB range which used to take 1.5 GB of RAM.

~Maxx~

Dear Maxx,Wondering if you have slowness switching between applications online and offline w sandbox? Do you have to decide "this is online time" and dedicate completely to surfing... then come completely out just to open a text document or media file(etc)??

Very good question! I have my Opera browser set forced to open in the Virtual Sandbox and as you may have noticed my posts here on the Forum are filled with both hosted graphics and attached graphics the sources of which must be accessed off line on my computer and I have compared the quickness with which these operations can be accomplished both with the browser Sandboxed and un-Sandboxed and I can assure you that there is no difference whatsoever because you do not need to take the browser out of its Virtual space in order to access files off line.

This is possible because the Sandboxed browser performs just as it would if it were un-Sandboxed because it is running on a segregated space on the hard drive apart from the Operating System the only difference being that it can not write to the computer without specific user permission. I've even done comparative download tests to determine if there was any performance difference inside and outside the Sandbox and found none as seen in the attachment below. Actually in this case the Virtualized Opera browser was 1 second faster.

~Maxx~

I read one word, and i just had to respond to it.

Paranoid.

That's me.

Running all web browsers sandboxed, everything from temp files and such sandboxed, having prevx and defensewall running on demand. Its light compared to what i use to do before.

• 2 weeks later...

Anti Virus

has any one heard of this virus i have anti virus and it is still on my comp pops up and say i have x amount number of trojins and worms and i need to buy thins how do i get rid of it is it safe to pay nbills on line please help thanks

Hi Kaf-k

If your own anti-virus program does not find it, then try an online scanner that actually removes it.

What did you say the name of the virus/malware was - and how do you know?

Cheers

solbjerg

has any one heard of this virus i have anti virus and it is still on my comp pops up and say i have x amount number of trojins and worms and i need to buy thins how do i get rid of it is it safe to pay nbills on line please help thanks

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2618&stc=1&d=1258492673

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2617&stc=1&d=1258492654

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2616&stc=1&d=1258492640

ok i run this now and then --plenty --i am a little distress to see you post this GARY BEAR- Trojan,non of the above mention can remove a Trojan..

i understand your shock,it seems your first exorbitance with a system that went ga-ga-thy are malaware application .not anti virus applications

there is a difference --now as for the mention programs ,well that's non of my business what any one uses .but not a good recommendation..in my view.

in the light of the recent debacle we just faced ,i would think it would be nice fuel thy could add or say here check this out !gary recommended our product

over iobit...

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=5046

refer to this page it happens --things can go wrong--

you had a small pc crash -and you got a shock -it happens....

you got a nice back up --

reinstall the program try it again -see if it was the case -- if it was ok your report this to the forum -

i never seen this type of post made by you,and this is a shock to me--

if it were i posting this ok --i would probably get basted for it---but you are are nice man -never losing it--i think you have the first time--

well we all do -the (solid gold recommendations sorry i do not agree--)

i say again thy are not Trojan removers --

but Mall aware removers---Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware----

now as for MBAM well i will not post what i think of them!!!!A-Squared Free

yes this is the go -seems were are posting the same time but yes max its a top program --

http://www.lavasoft.com/single/trialpay.php not working for me --

its blocked ? get a blank page ,any idea

itsmejjj

As far as must have on demand scanners go addition to the solid gold recommendations that garybear has made I would like to add A-Squared Free which reliably detects and removes: Trojans, Backdoors, Keyloggers, Spyware, Adware, Tracking Cookies, Worms, Bots, Viruses and Dialers.

"Not just any scanners, but a combination of two world class products - the a-squared Anti-Spyware, and the Ikarus Anti-Virus engine. Latest tests approve that both are cutting edge in Malware detection. No doubling of the scan duration as it would be the case with two separate scanning programs. Considerable performance improvement is possible thanks to the integration of the two engines on the lowest level."

Although I did have a friend who teaches at the Oregon Health Sciences University where Lance Armstrong received his cancer treatments come to me with the exact same kind of Adware related problem that you are describing and so I recommend Adaware which not only found and eliminated the problem, but now provides protection against the recurrence of this kind of infection.

~Maxx~

well we all do -the (solid gold recommendations sorry i do not agree--) i say again thy are not Trojan removers --

I agree with you fully that MBAM and SAS are not Trojan removers, but in all honesty considering the problem that is currently being addressed on this thread which I have come to know from experience as being Adware generated I also must agree with garybear's scanner recommendations in this case which are be able to scan and remove this variety of Malware.

I also agree with you about the effectiveness of A-Squared Free which is the personal favorite of the 5 on demand scanners that I use.

~Maxx~

gary let me say this --

Many of us have a liking and a soft spot for you-as i have -and i mean no harm in my post-you a true nice man =that struggles bravely in daily life,

as i do ,my self and most in the older range -take my posting as non aggressive

when i call your Name- i would never set upon you ,to hurt you..as i sit here reading your posts ,we can take a leaf from your calmness,and the way you present your self at all times -but you may of taken a puff of my leaf ,

and that is what gave me a bit of a shock...anyways sound like your ok ..and got it all back ....

itsmejjj

gary let me say this --

Many of us have a liking and a soft spot for you-as i have -and i mean no harm in my post-you a true nice man =that struggles bravely in daily life,

as i do ,my self and most in the older range -take my posting as non aggressive

when i call your Name- i would never set upon you ,to hurt you..as i sit here reading your posts ,we can take a leaf from your calmness,and the way you present your self at all times -but you may of taken a puff of my leaf ,

and that is what gave me a bit of a shock...anyways sound like your OK ..and got it all back ....

itsmejjj

take as its meant! --you are my favored postie--and the very first time you posted a return -to my self i felt very good -you of all the others i would never hurt .

crista, sound like a love letter!

but i do not know a other way ta put it---

anyways ,look ya got a top back up --OK give it a shot-360-if it gives you the same hard time leave it of the system,not a problem

well guess what i tried to install mark trend virus app. -yep a restore we are good again

GE, love this ! on the 0ther one i lost the lot ,dead drive, well happens

new drive got it going.just imagine when i try win 8 ? wonder what this will do...and my new Packard bell, -well rebuild ---got XP on it and it fly's---this was gifted..i have a youngster sits on it all the time when visiting-may give it to her,,we get 15,odd a day, visit ta use the PC"S for homework..and i love there company-the wife gets clucky ..and fusses over them..like a old hen..

itsmejjj

Archived