IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Anti-Virus???

Poky

First, LOVE the ASC Pro!!! Second why doesn't IO bit do a Anti-Virus prog??? My Windows OneCare just ran out and I really don't have the $$ to renew. So why does bit do all these other killer progs like gamebooster (+++), and Smart Ram (+++) but no Anti Virus? And is there anyone out there that has a great free AV prog? Been on downloads.com and was readin AVG and others but I'm real leary about "free" Anti-Virus progs. Thanks fer yinzs time n'at.

First, LOVE the ASC Pro!!! Second why doesn't IO bit do a Anti-Virus prog??? My Windows OneCare just ran out and I really don't have the $$ to renew. So why does bit do all these other killer progs like gamebooster (+++), and Smart Ram (+++) but no Anti Virus? And is there anyone out there that has a great free AV prog? Been on downloads.com and was readin AVG and others but I'm real leary about "free" Anti-Virus progs. Thanks fer yinzs time n'at.

Have you heard of Avast? It is free and is updated daily. I would give you the link if I knew how to do it so my advice is to google 'avast'

Anti-Virus?

If you check download.com, the top 3 free Anti-virus programs are Antivir,

AVG and Avast. They all have high Editor's and user ratings, which is a good benchmark to go by. I use AVG free and it's great.

Leeman

Go with Avira-now that v.9.0 is out, it includes spyware detection-it's much lighter and faster than AVG which is sure to slow you down unless you have a really fast processor and buku Ram.As stated,the three "A's" are the best of the free bunch-Avira just happens to be my personal favorite after trying all three.Best of luck,and don't waste any time installing something!!

First off...there is no such thing as "the best". Thats just an oppinion, seeing how EVERY security app has a flaw, and EVERY user had different needs. But yes, Avira is pretty bad ass, though I gave up anti virus' a while ago

Good point Vman-also from what I read,anti virus isn't the focus anymore-it's anti malware(a general term)-which comes in about eight flavors now.Thanks for the stats Mongoose-Avira has always been top shelf.The fact that it plays nicely with almost everything is a big plus.

AV???

I do not think that should produce IObit any anti-virus.

As anti-vir I recommend avast!, NOD32 or any based on core Kaspersky.

Not recommend AVG,F-Secure, Avira, Norton, BitDefender, ClamAV - slow detection, great pretense on RAM, bad UI etc.

I recommend 1x per moon (or weekly) check your computer one-shot liquidator parasites. Mbam, Sophos Anti-Rootkit, MRT etc.

For free AV : Definitely Avast as the free version of Avira

don't have web shield features etc. So Avast provides

more overall protection for your personal computer.

Download Avast at Here

Download Avira at Here

• 5 months later...

Avira

Go with Avira-now that v.9.0 is out, it includes spyware detection-it's much lighter and faster than AVG which is sure to slow you down unless you have a really fast processor and buku Ram.As stated,the three "A's" are the best of the free bunch-Avira just happens to be my personal favorite after trying all three.Best of luck,and don't waste any time installing something!!

Hi detailer. I finally got rid of AVG and down loaded Avira. I could use some tips about Avira. I would also like to know what you use to scan your Email . I know you are very busy and there isn't any rush, just when you get the time. Thanks friend---garybear

Hi, Poky,

And is there anyone out there that has a great free AV prog?
My personal preference is Avast and I've been using it without any problems for three years. I've tried Avira and AVG but much prefer Avast. You do have to register the programme every year, but registration is free and painless.

listen the grand'pa

Hi,

I clamp down in microcomputing since 1981,

I smiled at the time of the first viruses...

I laugh less at the time of the first intrusion in private files...

then came the time of the stealthy and polymorphous viruses with antiviruses profitable...

I tested a lot... even some who do not exist any more

My unassuming experience and every my test bring to light that, nowadays, the config most efficient is firewall Zonealarm , Antivir, S360, ASC and Firefox browser...

cheers

Avira

Thank you everyone for your posts. I was using AVG but they made me mad when I couldn't up grade to their new AVG9. I can tell already that AVG was a resource hog. I would like some tips on using Avira from members using that program. I would like to also know if anyone uses an email scanner. I don't think avira has one for the free program. Are there any good scanners for email that are free?? Emails really worry me for viruses. Thank you everyone and live well.---garybear

i'd recommend using avast antivirus. avast has a very good detection rate as well as "p2p, network, internet mail and standard shields" plus boot and memory scanning

P2P is for peer-to-peer applications (like emule, for instance)

Internet Mail is for pop3/smtp email clients like Outlook Express, not for Webmail

Network is for malware that acts by the Internet network

Standard Shield is, in fact, the antivirus core

First off...there is no such thing as "the best". Thats just an oppinion, seeing how EVERY security app has a flaw, and EVERY user had different needs. But yes, Avira is pretty bad ass, though I gave up anti virus' a while ago

I stopped using an Antivirus also and for the same kind of reasons involving the use of Virtualization that Computer Security Guru vman uses, but I continue to recommend and install Avast on computers that are not as yet using 21st Century Virtualization as the ultimate prevention against Malware.

~Maxx~

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/sandboxie-logo.png

Hi Nash

Try the new Microsoft Security Essentials product, but you need a genuine windows copy;-)

IObit Anti-Virus, only if they find out something new like Heuristics and HIPS only, no definitions.

Cheers.

Hi Nash . I watched the Microsoft Security Essentials Clip. It said you would need to uninstall all your other virus protection programs. I'm not sure I want to do that yet. Is that all you use for antivirus protection ??

Hi Nash . I watched the Microsoft Security Essentials Clip. It said you would need to uninstall all your other virus protection programs. I'm not sure I want to do that yet. Is that all you use for antivirus protection ??

That + IS 360 currently. The feedback and reviews of it has been unexpectedly very good. Here's one review with 0-day threats.

Gladly take advises though, but I hate nag-screens, so it should be a good one:wink:

Cheers.

Hi guys,

On my Windows7, MSE, AVG Pro, Mamutu, IS360 are behaving very friendly to each other.

MSE, together wity AVG Pro gave me trouble (freezing) with the Vista though.

I have the setup file for XP (it is a different setup file for XP), but have not tried yet.

Cheers.

EDIT: Sorry guys it should read Mamutu not Ubuntu, thank you Melvin_Deal

Hi Nash

I love MSE, simple, light on resources, effective and FREE!

I'm not paranoid enough yet to start using sandboxie etc.:-D

Cheers.

Hi Nash. I'm going to give MSE a shot, so stand by because I may have some questions. Thank you for your help.--garybear

I'm not paranoid enough yet to start using sandboxie etc.:-D Cheers.

Nash- Your comment put a smile on my face!:-D In actuality though using the ultra lite Sandboxie program that Virtualizes your browser of choice in a Sandbox on a remote part of the computer's hard disc and lets absolutely nothing into the real computer that you don't specifically allow affording the user complete freedom from having any concerns about the computer becoming infected has given me perfect peace of mind while using the internet which is the exact opposite of the intense fear of attack that defines paranoia.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/MaxxPix/Sandboxie%20Graphic.jpeg

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx

Nice graphic representation of what is going on in the slate of sand you are using in your computer.

Actually a stroke of genius to come up with a solution like that for keeping the computer clean, but is does require a bit of thinking on the part of the user, and one has to learn to use it.

But on the other hand, prudency and common sense has always been the best protection :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Nash- Your comment put a smile on my face!:-D In actuality though using the ultra lite Sandboxie program that Virtualizes your browser of choice in a Sandbox on a remote part of the computer's hard disc and lets absolutely nothing into the real computer that you don't specifically allow affording the user complete freedom from having any concerns about the computer becoming infected has given me perfect peace of mind while using the internet which is the exact opposite of the intense fear of attack that defines paranoia.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/MaxxPix/Sandboxie%20Graphic.jpeg

~Maxx~

Archived