IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Way off Topic...

Ted

Now here's a subject that really is off topic:

We've just splashed out and bought ourselves a forty inch Sony KDL40V4000 LCD TV and a Sony RDRHX780 DVD recorder. It's a lovely combination and they work really well. Our only problem is that to get the brightness of picture we want, I've had to advance the Backlight and Picture ( Contrast ) controls to their maximum settings. I've Emailed Sony and they've assured me that this will do no harm to the LCD Display Panel, but I'm still not convinced. Can any of you LCD TV owners throw any more light on this? (Should I apologise for the pun?).

That Bites

Ted what about the color temperature settings? An even increase in those across the board should enable you to roll back the contrast/brightness settings.Does it have factory preset brightness settings,like movie,daylight,sports,etc.? I don't see any damage to be done here,but I would expect a shortening of the sets life,and definitely more power consumption.There is no reason that you should have to max those settings.Unlike a plasma TV,LCD is by design intended to render a superior picture in brighter room conditions.Sony makes a damn good product,but in this case I believe the "factory set-up" specs weren't met or properly checked.This is not uncommon.In my old TV repair days(30 years ago)this was achieved through a master brightness control on the set's chassis,and it wasn't unusual to have to readjust some settings that were not accessible to the user.Maybe one out of every twenty five or so.You should be able to call up a complete service manual and schematic on the web(if all else fails),but I would seek satisfaction from the vendor first.You should have gone with the Samsung-sorry.

333halfevil and vman

Thank you for your comments.

detailer

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I used to repair TVs many years ago (back in the vacuum-tube days) but of course things have changed a lot since then. I don't think they have preset luminance controls in LCD sets now. All the comments I've read on forums and in Reviews for this particular TV have been positive, so I'll just persevere and maybe play around with the colour temperature settings (neutral, cool and warm..... I think). It has three modes: Vivid, Standard and Cinema, but all settings can be adjusted to suit, anyway.

atailor1

Now that does look a very informative and helpful article. Many thanks for that.

Archived