IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

What is strong antivirus?

oryxer

What is strong antivirus?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Standalone Default Allow Antivirus programs which use a Blacklist of known Malware worked very well in the past, but with 10,000's of new Malware being created and released each day they are not the virtually bulletproof defense that they once were in times past. Layered security including Host Intrusion Prevention and virtualization are the modern means of practical protection both these days and in the future when the varieties of Malware become even more vicious and prevalent.

~Maxx~

Ted- To be fair 'The Spaminator' did mention Avast Home Edition as the first entry on the list. I have read that Avast! 5 is due out soon and that it will feature an additional layer of security in the form of a real time Heuristics scanning! This should easily take Avast's 99+% detection rate right up to 100% although I'm sure that Virus Bulletin would not allow Heuristic Scanning to be used in their testing because they disallow all other methods of detection other than the 20 year old Deault-Allow Antivirus blacklisting of Malware.

~Maxx~

at present I use Avira premium in my desktop PC with XP PRO SP3,

Eset Security Suite 4.0 in my laptop running Vista H.P SP 2

Dr Web 5.0 in my laptop running XP home SP 3.

None of them are listed so I'll wait to vote;)

Well, I have to say that I preferred KIS 2009 to KIS 2010, above all KIS 2009 is lighter in memory usage than KIS 2010

Yes Leo

That's the way it's going-they're all turning into bloated resource hogs.Everybody wants to market a suite with a bunch of needless bells and whistles.Do I really need my security utility to attempt to optimize my system's performance,or clean the temp and junk files (ala Norton)? I think not.Ala carte is the way to go in my opinion.I can piece together some free stuff that will protect just as well and at less cost to my CPU for zero dollars.And for those that don't agree,and must have the paid versions,there are enough continually running promotions,that one could run a major brand for free well past the life of their PC.

Detailer- I agree with you about the high resource consuming security software outfits like Norton that are adding everything and the kitchen sink to their programs. I used to run a paid PC Tools Antivirus suite which used about 220 MB of RAM and over 300 MB of RAM while scanning, but I have now switched to a completely free Multi-layered Component Matched Security Suite that offers a highly reputable software Firewall, Antivirus, Buffer Overflow Protection, Image Execution as well as a HIPS real time scanner which combination no Virus or any other kind of Malware has been able to penetrate thus far and uses a grand total of 60 MB on my Vista computer and is the lightest and most effective computer security I have been able to find so far although for an additional layer of protection to seal out Viruses and Malware before they even gets far enough to be detected by the security system I run my browsers virtualized by using the ultralight weight Sandboxie software which is also freeware and uses between 1 and 1.5 MB of RAM.

I know that your primary area of expertise is in bulletproof Hardware Firewalls, but I'm always looking for a way to improve protection while using less resources so do you know of a free ala carte set of well matched computer security software programs that can offer even more effective layered protection than I now have that will run for less than a total of 61.5 MB of RAM?

~Maxx~

NONE of THE ones POSTED I STOPPED USING them FAR to over cooked and false positives far to big hog systems ,

one time yes thy were good now thy stuff up systems, link far to much

update far to much..destroy good genuine files --

For ME OBIT is all i need... To block the bad Things ...

take kaspersky Try install it If you have Zone alarm or a other fire wall

JUST try you cant ! Thats how its becoming 1 app now not installing because you use a other!!!

Now a other warning BE very aware What you install Back up your Drive first!!

Some of the top name ante this and that render systems to a BLUE screen !

My self if you like what you have and it seems to work use it

-- Just be aware --

you will lose Good files Scanning with Modern Virus programs,,and never get them back

itsmejjj

Max

Don't know-never tried.But I will say yours would be a hard act to follow.Unfortunately,we have two big variables here that would misrepresent any number I can come up with.Not to mention,ones interpretation of "most effective" is purely subjective.(nice rhyme,eh?) First is the OS (XP vs. Vista) Second is installed software.By virtue of these disparities,the differences could be 20%-30%,or more when evaluating the final number.But fret not my friend,I've found some test results from my good Raymond,along with some very colorful illustrations from xibex containing other pertinent data so you may continue on your quest (the most for the least).Regretfully,data for anti spyware/malware and virtual applications is less prevalent.If you would like to disclose or PM your current recipe,I'd be happy to provide feedback on memory usage on both of my rigs.That will,unfortunately, have to wait until I return from the shore first week of September.

Archived