IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Wind Power in Denmark.

Ted

Hi there, solbjerg,

I've just watched a short TV documentary on wind power in Denmark. Very interesting and very impressive those tall windmills set in the harbour at Copenhagen. I didn't realize they were so expensive to build - a million dollars plus! The documentary included a farmer who bought one for himself and now sells the generated power. He claims it's more profitable than farming - about $200,000 dollars a year! We have a long row of the same windmills on the crest of a mountain range here in NZ. The way to go!

They are trying to build lots more in UK aswell.

But they keep going the wrong way about it, then nothing get's done.

e.g. I live in the small village of Queniborough which is basically a farming community, so the council decide they are going to build 5 wind turbines near our village, which everyone showed lot's of support and enthusiasm for...

After weeks of meeting's etc... They decide where to site them. 500m from all the houses. So now the village is very upset about having noisy and unsightly wind turbines literally on our door step, when there is a 10km distance between us and the nearest village. Surely the logical way would be to build them in between us both, 5km away from any villages. Problem solved.

It's a shame the council don't use their brain :lol:

wrexe

One of the main obstacles in the effort to expand the use of wind turbines in Oregon are the environmental groups who have had laws passed requiring companies to buy and set aside such large amounts of land around each new turbine in many of the most desirable areas that it makes it economically infeasible to start these new 'green' electricity generating projects that would allow traditional fossil fuel burning plants to be shut down to help save the environment.

~Maxx~

Hi Ted

I was part owner of one/two about 25 years ago, but after the government stopped favouring small investors creating these small windmills the two windmills were sold to a larger company.

But in the course of 8 years I more than doubled my investment. 2.3 times the original investment.

Today I think around or more than 20% of Denmarks electricity consumption is provided by windmills.

So now we just have to get the cars to run on something else than oil products (petrol or other forms) and use alcohol, gas, hydrogen or electricity produced by for example windmills.

A car travelling for 10 minutes at 60 mph will pollute the equivalent of smoking 5 cartons of cigarettes in the same amount of time, - no mean task :-)

Then we have all those animal producing factories that at least here in Denmark are responsible for 60% of the co² pollution.

We live in a complicated world where the really big problem underlying all is the population expansion.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi there, solbjerg,

I've just watched a short TV documentary on wind power in Denmark. Very interesting and very impressive those tall windmills set in the harbour at Copenhagen. I didn't realize they were so expensive to build - a million dollars plus! The documentary included a farmer who bought one for himself and now sells the generated power. He claims it's more profitable than farming - about $200,000 dollars a year! We have a long row of the same windmills on the crest of a mountain range here in NZ. The way to go!

We live in a complicated world where the really big problem underlying all is the population expansion.

Cheers

solbjerg

Just the other day I heard that they expect there to be over 400 million people in the US by the middle of this century which is twice as heavily populated as when you were last here!

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx

Yes I remember they said they were passing 200 million around that time.

In the same time we have gone from around 4 million to around 5.5 million here in Denmark (not as much immigration and more birth control I suspect)

Here on Bornholm the population density has dropped a bit in the same time, but we get a lot of turists here in the summer.

Cheers

solbjerg

Just the other day I heard that they expect there to be over 400 million people in the US by the middle of this century which is twice as heavily populated as when you were last here!

~Maxx~

I may get Turbines.

Hi guys. I live in Oklahoma where there is plenty of wind. My wife has a farm that was left to her. Its mostly grass with a lot of gorges. Good for raising cattle. She use to lease it for oil which was nice but now she leases it for wind. We have been told that they may start building wind turbines on it next year. It's 320 acres and they said they would put 7 turbines on it. They have been testing the wind with a tower for over a year and say the tests are better than they expected.My wife's part could pay as much as 8,000 a year per turbine and increase each year. We are excited about that. She leases it to a farmer now for 5,300 a year to run cattle. I guess the cattle will have to get use to them ,but they say they are very quite and will be fenced in so they don't bother the cows. I'm to old to enjoy the money but grand kids will spend it. lol.

Yes, it does make a lot of sense to use natural resources to generate power. Wind is abundant in many areas and the rise and fall of the tide another. Here in NZ we dam rivers to drive the turbines which generate a large percentage of our electricity. We live only a few kilometres from the large hydro-electric power station at Karapiro and there is another one further down the river at Arapuni.

Hi Maxx

Yes I remember they said they were passing 200 million around that time.

In the same time we have gone from around 4 million to around 5.5 million here in Denmark (not as much immigration and more birth control I suspect)

Here on Bornholm the population density has dropped a bit in the same time, but we get a lot of turists here in the summer.

Cheers

solbjerg

Here in the US we often hear of the idyllic lifestyle that you folks have over there in Denmark.

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx

Probably the pictures (figuratively) are a little retouched :-)

Fundamentally though I think the basic difference is that the Danish society is permeated with social-democratic values.

This makes for higher taxes but on the other hand we then don't pay for school, hospital, roads and so on.

In the current (last 20 years or so) rather fundamentalistic right wing administration, we have lost the position of having the best hospitals and care facilities and the position of having some of the best educated children in the world due to cutting back on expences in these areas.

Some roads especially back roads are also quite run down by now.

But that is a long story.

Cheers

solbjerg

Here in the US we often hear of the idyllic lifestyle that you folks have over there in Denmark.

~Maxx~

Hello everybody

the use of every available renewable forms of energy (solar, wind, tidal, sea-wave, hydro-electric, geothermal, biomass) is a sine qua non for the existence of life on earth.

By the way Denmark was the first to use Wind-Turbines in 1890 to generate electric power.

cheers

Archived