IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Low virtual memory?

vman

Alright, so this computer im working on keeps getting low virutal memory for a game the owner is trying to play.

The "min" requirements are 256 ramn, he's running 512. The processor is half decent as well...but he keeps getting the same error. I even tried increasing his page sys. files, with no results.

Any ideas?

Hey vman,

I believe this is caused by paging file size.

I do not know what size of paging file you have tried. Maybe try increasing it a little more. and try it on another hard drive other than system drive.

and May I ask what error messages are you getting?

For Other Users Information =)

Open up "System Properties" from "Right Click on My Computer" > "Properties"

Depending on your system. You might need to click "Advanced system settings" on the left side

Once you have that open:

1) Go to "Advanced" tab > Under "Performance" category click "Settings"

2) Again, go to "Advanced" tab > Under "Virtual Memory" category click "Change"

3) Select "Custom Size" and type in EITHER "1536" or "1024" (Pick one)

Assume you picked "1024"

4) Put "1024" into BOTH "Initial size (MB)" and "Maximum size (MB)" > Click "Set"

5) Hit "Ok" > "Ok" > and "Ok". Then maybe restart your computer.

* Note: If he has 2 drives (C & D), make C drive with "No Paging file" and use D drive for paging file.

That can speed up the paging file and system a little bit.

Hope that helps!

Cheers.

Hey garybear,

There are many many different opinions on the size of paging file and the location.

Usually they range from 1.5x ~ 3x your RAM size.

In your situation, I see that you only have 26GB of free space left?

I would recommend "1531" as recommended by Windows below or if you want a bigger paging file size, "2048" will do as well.

Just make both your "Initial size" and "Maximum size" the same. That can stop paging file from going back and forth within a size limit, which can slow down your paging file process.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

is another program hogging the memory leaving too little for the game.

more RAM is a must have

I don't mean it's lags or something,but the requirement :

* CPU: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 or AMD64X2 (or higher)

* RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista

* Disc drive: DVD-ROM Drive

* Hard drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space

* Video: Direct X 9 compatible video card (Video card must be 256 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for pixel shader 2.0)

* Sound: Direct X9.0c compatible sound card

Often play without lag and CPU usage also quite average(around 50%)

,Just wondering if the default 2048 settings is enough?

;32986']Hey garybear,

There are many many different opinions on the size of paging file and the location.

Usually they range from 1.5x ~ 3x your RAM size.

In your situation, I see that you only have 26GB of free space left?

I would recommend "1531" as recommended by Windows below or if you want a bigger paging file size, "2048" will do as well.

Just make both your "Initial size" and "Maximum size" the same. That can stop paging file from going back and forth within a size limit, which can slow down your paging file process.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

HiMajic. Won't let me set both the same value.

;32965']Hey vman,

I believe this is caused by paging file size.

I do not know what size of paging file you have tried. Maybe try increasing it a little more. and try it on another hard drive other than system drive.

and May I ask what error messages are you getting?

For Other Users Information =)

Open up "System Properties" from "Right Click on My Computer" > "Properties"

Depending on your system. You might need to click "Advanced system settings" on the left side

Once you have that open:

1) Go to "Advanced" tab > Under "Performance" category click "Settings"

2) Again, go to "Advanced" tab > Under "Virtual Memory" category click "Change"

3) Select "Custom Size" and type in EITHER "1536" or "1024" (Pick one)

Assume you picked "1024"

4) Put "1024" into BOTH "Initial size (MB)" and "Maximum size (MB)" > Click "Set"

5) Hit "Ok" > "Ok" > and "Ok". Then maybe restart your computer.

* Note: If he has 2 drives (C & D), make C drive with "No Paging file" and use D drive for paging file.

That can speed up the paging file and system a little bit.

Hope that helps!

Cheers.

I've tried that...i thought the ram was leaking, so i loaded up some tools to fix that too.

The only thing left is the graphics card. I might be too weak to play the game, because the game DOES initially load.

FWIW, system's default paging file size is 1.5x the installed RAM.

I'd go with putting the page file on another HDD if possible.

Graphics card might be a possiblity as well, it might be lacking in the pixel shader department or any other pixel related things that make graphics card better or worse (not my strong suit)

Hey vman,

Then I guess that leaves graphic card? haha

Is his graphic card "integrated graphics" (Uses computer RAM)? Usually those graphic cards have a hard time playing games nowadays. I do now know much about graphic cards, maybe try the Forceware, and give the game another shot.

Hey garybear,

Your error says, "Enter a maximum page file size that is greater than or equal to the initial page file size, and less than 4096 MB."

It says you can use Equal. You might have typed it wrong?

Copy and paste "2048" into both boxes.

If all doesn't work, then just leave it as different =)

Cheers.

Hi usefullll,

If you are not using hibernation, 2048 for XP (1 GB RAM), and 3072 for Vista (2 GB RAM) will be adequate.

I have to note that, if page file is prefered in another drive, it should be a physically seperate drive HDD C: and HDD D:, not a partition such as C: and D: in one drive, to gain the benefit of having the paging file in a second drive.

Hi vman,

I think the remedy would be increasing the RAM to 1024. Please ask the difference between 512 and 1024 to gary. :idea:

Hi garybear,

Since you have increased the paging file to 2048, everything in your case seems to be fine.

To see the size of the page file look to: C:\pagefile.sys (You have to show the hidden files in your Folder Options=>View though.)

Cheers.

Hey usefulll,

I am REALLY sorry, forgot to reply to your post =(

Yeah the default setting "2048" seems enough. (What is the size of your RAM btw)

Having it on a separate Hard Disk Drive can enhance performance because windows now handle I/O requests faster; however, you will not be able to create "Memory.dmp", which is for debugging etc...

And another benefit of having paging file on a different HDD is that the paging file will not be fragmented.

And Thank you enoskype for clarifications and info =)

Cheers.

Anyone can help me on my previous post? Please PM,thanks in advance.

Never mind. Running 2GB ram,so is it sufficient?

;33140']Hey usefulll,

I am REALLY sorry, forgot to reply to your post =(

Yeah the default setting "2048" seems enough. (What is the size of your RAM btw)

Having it on a separate Hard Disk Drive can enhance performance because windows now handle I/O requests faster; however, you will not be able to create "Memory.dmp", which is for debugging etc...

And another benefit of having paging file on a different HDD is that the paging file will not be fragmented.

Archived