IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Revo Uninstaller 1.85 now out

sunny staines

when I installed the v2.0 Pro, it made another folder and then I had both, which seemed strange to me.---gary

Yes, same here but after I had both the original v1.83 and v2.0 I tried to install v1.85 into its own folder and the Revo Installer evidently went ahead and uninstalled v1.83 and left v1.85 in its own folder.

I did try the v2.0 Pro version and it has a lot of new features, but lacks any kind of secure deletion of any kind for them with the exception of the Evidence Remover which will wipe disc drive freespace although there are no specifics given as to what algorithm is used. I prefer to use the freeware Eraser program which has a choice of 6 different erasure or freespace wiping algorithms along with 2 different user configurable shredding methods which allow you to custom design your own method to overwrite files or wipe disc freespace to the point that it is secure and unrecoverable by any software recovery program.

~Maxx~

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

huge revo fan

If you are one of many that use Revo new version here

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Revo_Uninstaller_d5706.html

cheers sunny. i'm a huge fan of revo. it's a fantistic prog. you obviously take care of your pc so here is a site you should be interested in for IT techs and common folk. brilliant progs on this although some progs in german but good software. cheers again http://www.technibble.com/

Yes, same here but after I had both the original v1.83 and v2.0 I tried to install v1.85 into its own folder and the Revo Installer evidently went ahead and uninstalled v1.83 and left v1.85 in its own folder.

I did try the v2.0 Pro version and it has a lot of new features, but lacks any kind of secure deletion of any kind for them with the exception of the Evidence Remover which will wipe disc drive freespace although there are no specifics given as to what algorithm is used. I prefer to use the freeware Eraser program which has a choice of 6 different erasure or freespace wiping algorithms along with 2 different user configurable shredding methods which allow you to custom design your own method to overwrite files or wipe disc freespace to the point that it is secure and unrecoverable by any software recovery program.

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx. I have eraser but I never use it. Ccleaner will also wipe your free space, I never use it either. I'm trying to figure out what v2.pro version does better than the v1.85 version and should I install the Pro version.

Hi sunny

revo 1.85 followed up with regseeker as you do will fine.

Hi sunny. Avg Will not allow the Pro to install. If I disable AVG and install the pro, it installs but as soon as I turn AVG back on I get a virus alert and the pro version stops working, so I have given up on the pro version for now, I tried to send report to AVG but it never competes so I'll just wait. I've never had this happen before.---gary

Ran the evidence remover and found glitch in pro.

Just playing around in Revo pro. New "evidence remover" appears to function well, reaches 100% cleaning hard disk. Stops for a bit, and then proceeds to 101,102,103,104...etc % of hard drive. You have to stop it from running. It may have been cleaning my removable USB 8 gig drive and just added on top of 100%, not sure.

Hi detailer!!!!!

I agree with Sunny.Go with the free version,back it up with CCleaner and RegSeeker.That's about as clean as an uninstall can get,unless you want to start trolling through the registry (not recommended)

Hi detailer I love trolling through the registry. When you have Macrium backing up your OS not much scares you my friend, but I agree with you about free Revo, CCleaner and RegSeeker. I would hate to be without those three. Whats left won't be worth talking about ,but I love going in regedit and seeing if there might be one or two more little things still left. That's just a challenge for me. I however am very careful in the registry.----garybear

Hi enoskype

Great Gary, that's it. :grin:

It is clean, and I think your AVG gives False Positive.

Was your AVG same as in the report (AVG-8.5.0.427-2009.12.19)?

Cheers.

Hi friend. I'm truly sorry I missed your post. I'm not sure about your question. I tried reporting this to AVG but it never would complete. I tried 3 or 4 times to report this but would always say it failed to complete. I can tell you that the name is Win32/Themida, which is used by a lot of programs to stop cracking some thing. I googled it but really didn't understand all that I read. Again I'm really sorry I missed your post.---garybear (" I'm a developer in Oreans Technologies and we have developed Themida to protect applications against cracking. We are receiving many complain from our clients saying that NOD32 reports their applications as potential thread (Win32/Packed.Themida)"

Just playing around in Revo pro. New "evidence remover" appears to function well, reaches 100% cleaning hard disk. Stops for a bit, and then proceeds to 101,102,103,104...etc % of hard drive. You have to stop it from running. It may have been cleaning my removable USB 8 gig drive and just added on top of 100%, not sure.

The Revo Evidence Remover was also in v1.83 and while it can wipe the freespace they do not disclose the wiping algorithm used which very well could be as little as 3 passes of US DoD 5220.22-M which is truly not secure because it is a simple patterned overwrite in that according to both Peter Gutman and Bruce Schneier several wipes of pseudo-randomly generated data is needed for a reasonably secure disc or freespace wipe.

Revo also does not clearly state that the slack space is securely wiped with their Evidence Remover which is why I much prefer using the freeware Eraser program that does nothing other than wipe hard discs, freespace and any other data using highly secure algorithms including a user programmable option of as many passes of pseudo-random data overwrite as the user feels is needed. Its not as secure as grinding the hard disc into powder, but it will be beyond retrieval by software programs.

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx

This is what MV RegClean found after I uninstalled Revo v2.0 Pro and at least 300 of the 332 results were related to this Revo software...

~Maxx~

That's amazing. I liked your speed test. That was also amazing.My RegSeeker also found a bunch of left overs of the Pro version. I'm sticking with the freebe.----garybear

Evidence Remover.

The Evidence remover appears to have corrupted some software and system settings as well. Also contributed to some disk fragmentation. Had to spend a little time fixing. I don't recommend this function of pro.

Thank you Maxx as always!!!

Peace, prosperity, and longevity to you!!

Revo Uninstaller Pro

Hello,

As a member of the Revo Uninstaller Support Team, I want to say that some of the posts about Revo Uninstaller Pro are not correct and are misleading!

There is no danger using Evidence Remover or Unrecoverable delete tools. Evidence Remover wipes out your already deleted files and folders which are only marked as deleted and ready to be overwritten. That free space looks free but contains all deleted files and folders so Revo Uninstaller creates a very large file, which will allocate all of your free disk space then it randomly writes in it. In this way deleted files and folders are overwritten with random data. If after that you want to recover the files they will be useless.

Evidence Remove may reach more than 100% when Windows sees that the free space is decreasing and frees additional disk space during its operation, which Evidence Remover didn't calculate that additional free space at the beginning.

About the "MV RegClean" test: As everyone could see, the files are all the same files listed several times and when the built-in uninstaller of Revo Uninstaller Pro is used, those files are deleted! So, 2x150 times = 300 errors? I don't gettit!

We really appreciate all suggestions and bug reports, but please make sure that they are real. You can also contact the support team from the web site instantly or by sending e-mails - no matter if you have a license or not!

Thank you!

Welcome here tigerx!

I understand your post... and very much appreciate it!!

We here, on this forum...by general consensus, admire and appreiate the REVO product! This is why we put all the newest versions of REVO through our own personal PC systems and evaluate progress/improvement.

If you look through the forum posts here... you will find many advisements/links/recomendations to REVO.

It's only natural for this forum to test the product and post accordingly.

As for my individual post... about 100% and all. Nothing has changed! It is something the programmers have to work out, but is a bug nonetheless!! How the computations are made while the software runs should include this eventuality. No matter what is purported, when you see 105%, mathematics and reason are violated!

Believe you are carrying a response here, that you mean't to post where ever you were.

I would hope REVO would appreciate this feedback, here on this forum, that has so earnestly supported their product; historically, on its merit.

Only constructive!!! Not destructive! Don't be defensive!

Also, I thought endorsing and recommending your product was enough! I can't remember having the need to post to a "bug report" to REVO. I post here on this forum freely, to the best of my ability, to help all the other members of this forum. The things I post/say here are true...

Peace,prosperity, and longevity to all!!

Because our experience shows that the user could be easily missleaded, we are sensitive for such missleading posts on forums. When there is a such post, we automagically receive feedback from users that even didn't check a setting in Revo Uninstaller, but belived in a post on a forum!

I'm sorry that I'm taking it a little personal, but it really hurts when you see that someone destroys, in seconds (with one sentence), all your work. I'm not talking about current posts but all missleading posts in general on forums...

I talked to the programmers and they said that a solution for this 100%+ issue is to change the desctiptive text and start over the counter - it will be fixed in future versions.

Beside that, we really appreciate your advisements/links/recomendations and we know about them!

Our main goal is satified and happy with our products users!

Thank you!

Best regards,

tigerx

No destruction here!!!

The Senior members of this forum evaluate software independently, supporting each other to the best of our ability! If you felt attacked... that certainly didn't happen here; on this thread or any other!! Tigerx... if you look through the threads on this forum, you will see that i speak the truth.

The Evidence remover appears to have corrupted some software and system settings as well. Also contributed to some disk fragmentation. Had to spend a little time fixing. I don't recommend this function of pro.

Thank you Maxx as always!!!

Peace, prosperity, and longevity to you!!

How Evidence Remover can courrupt a software or a setting when it just creates a file? There should be something else or someone else responsible for that!?

Look at the screenshots of Maxxwire - there are two files repeatedly listed and that it why the error count is huge... in the same manner youu can list them 1000 times and the error count could rise to 1000?!

There is disparity within the software. Pieces that the software sees as "tagged"and deleted really wer'n't. Can't think outside the box for you!

Evidence Remover does not see anything! It just creates a file as almost every program ever released does! It does not interact anyhow with the already deleted files - it is just the way file system and Windows works (FAT, NTFS, ...). It does not interact with the existing files on the system, so it should be something else!

Archived