IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Help - Backup vs. Restore Point

Ahab

Hello All,

I have read all the documentation I can find on the free version of Advanced System Care. I still do not understand the difference between a backup and a restore point. Can someone tell me how they differ and when I would use one vs. the other?

Thanks.

Hello Ahab!

Maybe restore is: to go back to where you just were.

Maybe backup is: to make sure you know where you were.

Wondering the nature of your question? Is there something specific you came here to see/understand/share?

There is a wealth of information already here on this forum, the answers to your questions maybe/probably answered by others asking the same question previously.

Search this forums threads, or pose a particular problem/issue.

Welcome!!!

Hi Ahab

The Backups in the Restore center in ASC are there for the situation where you want to annul the changes brought about by the Care/Repair operation.

Creating a restore point is to create a restore point in Windows System restore facility.

This is explained in USAGE of IOBIT PRODUCTS located in the Lounge section.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hello All,

I have read all the documentation I can find on the free version of Advanced System Care. I still do not understand the difference between a backup and a restore point. Can someone tell me how they differ and when I would use one vs. the other?

Thanks.

I have read USAGE of IOBIT PRODUCTS located in the Lounge section. It is very informative, but I'm afraid I still have my original question. I will try to rephrase it.

When I do a Repair after a Scan, I see a message that a backup is being created. Where are these stored? Is is possible to see them?

When I create a restore point, I see it in the Restore Center.

Does a backup = a restore? IOW, two names for the same thing?

If I do a Repair after a Scan, and I need to get back to where the pc was at before this action was taken, do I do this by means of a backup or a restore point?

Thanks in advance. Sorry to be so dense.

both is best.

keep system restore working in the background. then it will give the most recent restore [remember to disable security during restore]

2nd option if system restore fails is to load your last system image.

see post by garybear who did an excellent how to with the free macrium software program on backing up and restoring an image.

some vista and windows 7's have in built system image options which make it easy.

I have read USAGE of IOBIT PRODUCTS located in the Lounge section. It is very informative, but I'm afraid I still have my original question. I will try to rephrase it.

When I do a Repair after a Scan, I see a message that a backup is being created. Where are these stored? Is is possible to see them?

When I create a restore point, I see it in the Restore Center.

Does a backup = a restore? IOW, two names for the same thing?

If I do a Repair after a Scan, and I need to get back to where the pc was at before this action was taken, do I do this by means of a backup or a restore point?

Thanks in advance. Sorry to be so dense.

Hi new member. This is as plain as I can make it. If you do a scan with ASC3 and you want to undue what you repaired, you just go to the restore and click on it and undue what ASC3 repaired. If you want to restore to a earlier time, you use System restore. System restore will take you back to the date you choose. Its not that difficult. If you do not understand the difference, I don't know how else to explain this.---garybear

Looking at the second (middle) ScreenShot provided by garybear:

The backups you see in the right panel of Restore Center are Advanced System Care restore points for the changes Advanced System Care made and only those changes.

Select one and then click Undo Changes

View System Restore in the left panel of Restore Center is just a shortcut to the built-in Windows System Restore (see the third ScreenShot)

Once you click on it and go to the Windows System Restore then Advanced System Care is no longer involved in that restore process.

Windows System Restore will restore everything to the previous point you choose.

All the best, woz of oz

The backups you see in the right panel are Advanced System Care restore points for the changes Advanced System Care made and only those changes.

Select one and then click Undo Changes

View System Restore (in the left panel) is just a shortcut to the built-in Windows System Restore

Once you click on it and go to the Windows System Restore then Advanced System Care is no longer involved in that restore process.

Windows System Restore will restore everything to the previous point you choose.

All the best, woz of oz

Hi woz. If your talking about my screen prints, I think you have turned them around. The one in the middle is ASC3 restore and the one on the right is System restore. Thanks for helping, but you need to edit your post.

Panel not picture

Hi woz. If your talking about my screen prints, I think you have turned them around. The one in the middle is ASC3 restore and the one on the right is System restore. Thanks for helping, but you need to edit your post.

I meant the right and left panels of the Advanced System Care Restore Center not your ScreenShots.

Anyway, I edited my post to hopefully make it clearer :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi friend!!

Hi Gary, I hope the screenshot of ASC has been taken a while ago, otherwise why don't you use the most recent one which is ASC 3.4.1? :lol:

Cheers.:-)

Hi enoskype. I will do that right away. I thought that was automatic with the pro version.:roll:

Hi woz!!!

I meant the right and left panels of the Advanced System Care Restore Center not your ScreenShots.

Anyway, I edited my post to hopefully make it clearer :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Very nice woz. Sorry but I was confused which is not unusual. It is now very clear even to this hard head and should also be clear to every one. Thanks friend.----garybear. PS now I need to get the latest version that enoskype told me about.

Archived