IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

new version of CCleaner out today

sunny staines

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

plenty of improvements

- Added support to Wipe MFT Free Space.

- Added cleaning for Windows Explorer breadcrumb bar.

- Added cleaning for Opera beta versions.

- Added option to turn off CCleaner jumplist tasks on Windows 7.

- Added menu option to Registry Cleaner to add key to exclude list.

- Improved support for SeaMonkey 2.0.

- Improved Windows 7 Taskbar progress accuracy.

- Improved minimize to system tray functionality across all platforms.

- Improved Opera cleaning by including opcache and temporary_downloads folders.

- Improved performance of Compact database routines.

- Improved Wipe Free Space code to avoid locks.

- Improved security when deleting files.

- Minor GUI and interface improvements.

- Minor bug fixes.

i use it in addition to ASC

Ok

Hi Sunny ;-)

Thank you for the link,

I often used it, before ; Good soft !

But I recently realised that Right click allow me to choose the ASC shortcut wich do the clean up (empty the bin and privacy sweep). And Ccleanner doesn't found anything more to do after...

Cheers

Hi Detailer,

Ok, ok, would you please tell me more at this subject ?

Best regard

It's optional in the installation and if you tick it then it'll appear something like this but below is only for Recycle bin shortcut.

Open

Explore

Clean Recycle bin and Privacy ©

Open CCleaner...

Run CCleaner

Hi sunnystains,

It is under Options-Settings. There is a check box for "Wipe MFT Free space. (It is checked by default). If you check "Wipe Free Space" under advanced seection of the cleaner, it will wipe the free space on your drive the next cleaning. After this, it wipes the MFT free space if the box is checked. I did run it and so far there seems to be no adverse affect, But I am curious about the MFT size appearing to shrink in the Analyse GUI for the defragger (even on Windows defrag).

Strange- I am not sure exactly what it is doing. It took about 20 minutes on one XP machine w/ 40 gig drive. On another XP with a very small drive (15GB on drive C), it has always had a very large section of MFT. It took nearly 3 hours to run on it,& the MFT showed considerably smaller afterwards!

I am not really sure what it is doing, or if it is good or bad! Everything seems to be fine so far.

samr.

Hi guys,

I think, MFT free space meant to be MFT Zone (MFT Enlargement area) which is 12.5% of the total disk size as default. Otherwise it shouldn't touch the MFT at all.

You can check your MFT Zone size by going to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsMftZoneReservation

Value Name: NtfsMftZoneReservation

Data Type : REG_DWORD

Data : (valid range is 1-4)

(1=>12.5%, 2=>25%, 3=>37.5, 4=>50%)

Cheers.

EDIT: Either we are sleeping (AT LEAST I AM. :-P) or The following is not correct.

Quote from MS. Article ID: 174619 - Last Review: October 16, 2008 - Revision: 6.1

The NTFS file system contains at its core, a file called the master file table (MFT). There is at least one entry in the MFT for every file on an NTFS volume, including the MFT itself.

Because utilities that defragment NTFS volumes cannot move MFT entries, and because excessive fragmentation of the MFT can impact performance, NTFS reserves space for the MFT in an effort to keep the MFT as contiguous as possible as it grows.

Change in Windows XP and in Windows Server 2003

In Windows XP and in Windows Server 2003, the defrag utility defrags the MFT.

A defrag operation on the MFT combines an MFT file into 1 and prevents it from being stored in multiple places that are not sequential on disk. In this class of operation, the MFT file is more sequential. However, it is exactly the size that the MFT file was before the defrag operation.

An MFT can be too big if a volume used to have lots of files that were deleted. The files that were deleted cause internal holes in the MFT. These holes are significant regions that are unused by files. It is impossible to reclaim this space. This is at least true on a live NTFS volume.

Archived