IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Can't install SD properly

IObit Smart Defrag

When I install the program, the desktop icon won't show up and I can't find the folder for SD in program files. I am running Windows 7. The program starts automatically when I install it, so I know it's there, I just can't find the directory or the icon for the program.

Welcome to the forum greenevening :smile:

Did you look for the folder IObit then inside should be IObit Smart Defrag

I have XP not Win 7 but my path is:

• (C:)

• Program Files

• IObit

• Iobit Smart Defrag

If you want a Smart Defrag icon in the SystemTray:

When you find IObit Smart Defrag and create a Desktop icon, launch Smart Defrag, select Options and Tick

Minimize to system tray when program is closed (Recommended)

All the best, woz of oz

There is no iobit folder in program files, nor is there a desktop icon, which is my whole problem to being with. I tried searching for smart defrag or iobit on my computer and it didn't show up, yet the program shows up in control panel as installed on my computer. I can't make any sense out of it. I uninstalled and reinstalled it several times and got the same results.

Hi greenevening

Did you close the program down - all its automatic functions - from tools too - before uninstalling.

Did you unblock the program before installing it?

Curious problem :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

There is no iobit folder in program files, nor is there a desktop icon, which is my whole problem to being with. I tried searching for smart defrag or iobit on my computer and it didn't show up, yet the program shows up in control panel as installed on my computer. I can't make any sense out of it. I uninstalled and reinstalled it several times and got the same results.

Search

Hi gary, I think greenevening means that it shows in Add or Remove Programs (if it's called that in Win 7) in the Control Panel which is how greenevening has been able to uninstall it and then install again :smile:

See screenshot.

greenevening, this is a very strange situation that I have not come across before.

I assume that when you installed SD you went with the default settings on where it was to be installed so I can only guess that it has somehow been installed somewhere strange.

When you view SD in Add or Remove Programs, what size does it say SD is ?

As you can see in the screenshot mine is 4.27MB but I am wondering if yours might be different or even zero.

There is a wonderful and very lite search software called Everything search engine (free) that is so easy to use and will find anything on your computer. It is updated for Win 7 as well.

It has a great reputation and I use it all the time, in fact, I have turned off the Windows Search and use this instead.

I would suggest you downlod and install it and see if it can find IObit Smart Defrag

Once we see where it went we can hopefully figure out why it went there :smile:

A few extra questions, do you have Admin rights and is your Win 7, 32 or 64 bit ?

All the best, woz of oz

Hi woz!!!

Hi woz!! I hope you don't mind teaching me also. I understand that XP3 and Windows 7 are a lot different, and I should have noticed that the member said they had Windows 7. That was a mistake on my part. Having said that. Is Windows 7 all that hard to find things and are the features a lot different than XP3? If I was searching for a program, I would use this method to find it. No mater what I intended to do with it. I always do a search, so I can remove all of it. That is usually the last thing I do when uninstalling a program, but I also like to see all the places it is on my PC some times. If old uncle Bill wants to make it that hard to find a program after you install it; he won't ever get 150$ from me for Windows 7, unless He stops supporting XP3.===garybear

New copy

Hi greenevening :smile:

Another question, and I'm sorry if the answer seems obvious but we have to be sure, Did you download a new (fresh) copy of Smart Defrag just in case the original download is corrupt ?

If you haven't tried installing a new copy of SD then my next suggestion would be to firstly download BitRemover which will clean up any Smart defrag leftovers, then:

• Uninstall Smart Defrag

• Launch BitRemover (it will run without installing to your computer)

• Tick IObit Smart Defrag only

• Click Go

When that has finished, launch Everything Search and find any IObit Smart Defrag folders etc and delete them, you can delete straight from Everything Search (and Open, Launch etc)

Clean the Registry then Restart your computer

Install a new copy of Smart defrag and pay particular attention to where the installer wants to put the software.

Hi woz!! I hope you don't mind teaching me also. I understand that XP3 and Windows 7 are a lot different, and I should have noticed that the member said they had Windows 7. That was a mistake on my part. Having said that. Is Windows 7 all that hard to find things and are the features a lot different than XP3? If I was searching for a program, I would use this method to find it. No mater what I intended to do with it. I always do a search, so I can remove all of it. That is usually the last thing I do when uninstalling a program, but I also like to see all the places it is on my PC some times. If old uncle Bill wants to make it that hard to find a program after you install it; he won't ever get 150$ from me for Windows 7, unless He stops supporting XP3.===garybear

Hi gary :smile:

I think Win 7 and XP Search are the same and it is ok but if you try Everything Search I doubt you will ever want to use the buit-in Search again.

The main difference is that Everything makes a list of, you guessed it, everything on your computer then when you start to type what you are searching for the list gets smaller and smaller.

No more waiting for the built-in Search to finish and say no results then try a different spelling and wait etc etc

In the first screenshot you will see that I have typed iobit and all IObit stuff is listed including Icons, Bookmarks in browsers, Prefetch etc

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4329&d=1266808282

In the second screenshot I have continued to type just sm and already the list is complete and easy to work with. This took me less than one minute.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4330&d=1266808295

Everything Search is a tiny 1.04 MB and there is even a Portable version, simply brilliant.

All the best, woz of oz

Aye Woz!

Hi Greenevening... welcome to Iobit forum!!!

Gonna check this out as it even nails the running services!

Is it also possible that there is some kind of virtualization going on here? Only speculation, thus no direct post.

To GB... while the search function is essentially the same in your SP3 XP and 7 (Vista as well). It requires less clicking. When you click on Start, immediately over start will appear an empty search box and then you type in the criteria you are searching for... and as you type the results will appear above that box, for all filetypes, but not services... which is what I find so intriguing about Woz's everything search.

To Solbjerg... curious indeed.

-Mel

Archived