IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

New! - Beta testing of IObit SmartDefrag

I'm using XP, I downloaded SmartDefrag and installed it, but when I click on defrag it seems to freeze. No activity of any kind, 0% of the drive processed. I left it and came back an hour or so later and no change.

Have I missed something obvious or done something dumb?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really like the new V4.01 beta on my Win2k OS. I was using Iobit V3 and it uninstalled it and loaded V4 without any problems [i hope!].

Question:

After a defrag of a partition I see areas of empty space between used blocks of data. It seems that this will cause new files to become fragmented when they are saved to disk. Shouldn't "Defrag and Optimize" remove these empty spaces? Basically, all used blocks pushed together at top of the analyze display.

Hi all, I would agree with the above. IObit needs to offer further options to include or exclude 'free space consolidation' during the 'optimise' version of the defrag. Just a little bit more needs to go into the UI to become the great user-friendly app that it so wants to be.

It may also be useful to have a defrag option where I can identify a folder of which all files in that folder are manually defragged.

More feedback to the UI during a defrag might be useful to increase the knowledge of the user of what's currently taking place (ie, filename or folder currently being process etc).

Otherwise, very good app and I'm pleased to continue with its usage.

Thank you IObit.com

O.K this isn't the first piece of software I've downloaded that promised good things and failed to deliver, but other comments I have read suggest it may well be useful and I just need to 'adjust' my approach or set up.

I've unistalled and reinstalled Smartdefrag 4.01 still no progress. I click defrag and it says it is analyzing, but 0% progress over an hour and it reports total files 1, fragmented files 1.

I understand, you cannot hold the hand of every numpty who has problems and this is freeware after all, but come on, at least tell me I'm an idiot, am I being impatient and should wait hours or you need more info or there is a known problem or even that you will take note of this?

Beta ver. 4.02 Stops at 5% and need to reboot to quit

I upgraded from 4.01 to 4.02. Problem is in both versions for me. I have 3 hard drives (C 200GB, D 120GB, G 100GB). Drives D & G, everything works as it should. My problem is only on C drive. Using the "Defrag Now"

When I choose C drive and click on analyze, it goes to 54% and stops. Total Files=140,294; Total Directories=18,993; Fragmented Files=1,356; Fragmented Directories=94

When I click on "Defrag", it starts to analyze, it goes to 5% and stops. Total Files=140,378; Total Directories=19,004; Fragmented Files=1,377; Fragmented Directories=95.

When I click on "Defrag & Optimize", it starts to analyze, it goes to 5% and stops. Total Files=130,425; Total Directories=19,014; Fragmented Files=1,398; Fragmented Directories=95.

My OS is Vista Ultimate, 2.8Mhz, 1GB Dram.

The other issue is that if I click stop, nothing happens. If I click exit, the program will close and if I open the Task Manager, it shows that the process is still running and using 50% memory, and I am unable to stop the process. The only way to stop the process is to reboot the computer.

Like I mentioned earlier, the program works fine on the D & G drives, and the problem only happens on my C drive.

Does anyone else have a similar problem that may also have a solution that cured the problem?

Works ok for me!

ISD works ok for me.

I have HP Pav with Pent dual core 2.8GHz on XP sp2 pro with 750MB ram.

C drive is 160GB.

Takes a few minutes to defrag and twenty minutes or so to optimise.

Cant say I notice any improvements after all this. But I suppose it has to be done just like cleaning the registry!

This does work!

I see alot of others in the forums having issues.. yet.. I have had none at all since I found Smart Defrag in beta 3.0.. all the way to current version beta 4.02. I have used it on gaming machines, Servers, Wired and Wireless, workstations, Net runners.. you name it.. and not one problem.. maybe some of you out there should stop using all the other utilities out there.. which cause other issues.. such as registry cleaners, NORTON anything, McAfee anything, the odd ball firewalls.. and just use a really clean system. And maybe.. just maybe all of your issues with this will stop. To the designers of Smart Defrag.. Thank You

DaSnipa13

4.02 feedback

Hi,

one problem with 4.02 I didn't have with 4.01:

-optimization hangs when processing files >4 GB (no % increase in 2 hours, no hdd activity yet 100 % cpu activity from isd)

problems since 4.01:

-on first start, icon doesn't display properly in system tray

-windows close and minimze buttons aren't drawn correctly in window

problems with 4.02:

-isd doesn't exit when exiting the tray icon: there's still an isd process running taking all my cpu away and which Windows is unable to stop

-isds autodefrag takes more cpu away than it should and makes the system slower than 4.01

Vista x64

program crashes

I have been running ISD v. 4.01 on XP-SP2 with a 30GB drive C and 45 GB drive D (partitions on the same HDD). The prgram loads automatically on start up but I seem to be getting an error message almost every day any time from a few minutes to longer after the program is running. The error shows as a pop-up box with the options to Ignore, Restart, or Close. Pressing Ignore or Restart does not help with anything, and only Close does close the program.

I am getting ready to give the boot to this program especially with the problems others have been reporting, but first I am open to any suggestions someone may have.

Thanks.

Same error

It works fine with my windows vista computer(the only thing was the speed), But when I use it on my SP2/3(Duno 2 or 3(XP)), I get an error message, and I don't know where to send the error report to. And 1 guy on the net told me that he lost more than half of his start-up files due to the same error. Does anyone know why it works fine with vista but not with XP?:shock: :-? I wonder what files I lost.......................................

Hi cleric95,

The reason why enoskype asked if the user account you are running is an administrator account is because ISD will not run on a limited user account and can cause the error message you described. It could be the reason for the crash.

The problem with missing startups was a bug in the UN- installer of v. 3.01, so updating there caused some problems. More current versions do not have that problem.

samr.

Hi r2baruch,

It is better to install latest ISD Beta4.02 from here and then see if there still is that problem with it.

If the problem persist, please post a screenshot of the error

Are you running as an Administrator?.

Thanks.

Thanks for your assistance.

Yes, I am an administrator. As you requested I upgraded to 4.02. The problem still recurs. The error message is attached. I didn't find any way to save the bug report so I sent it according to the onscreen instructions. You should be able to find it somewhere in iobit. If you want me to send a bug report please let me know how to save it (it is bigger than the window and tabbed, so screen shots won't help).

Once again thanks.:wink:

Hi cleric95,

The reason why enoskype asked if the user account you are running is an administrator account is because ISD will not run on a limited user account and can cause the error message you described. It could be the reason for the crash.

The problem with missing startups was a bug in the UN- installer of v. 3.01, so updating there caused some problems. More current versions do not have that problem.

samr.

I attach a screen shot of a recent error message.

Also, I have my administrator account and 4 limited accounts.

If ISD will not run on a limited user account, how can I prevent it from starting up at all in limited user accounts? Are you saying that it should not be designated to start automatically at all but that I should start it up manually only when I want to use it? That will defeat the purpose of auto/scheduled defrag. Furthermore, I see that startup is not based on the startup forlder but rather from a RUN registry key.

If ISD will not run on a limited user account, how can I prevent it from starting up at all in limited user accounts?

Hi r2baruch,

I will explain how to do that, please do it step by step.

1)

Go to registry editor:(click "Start" button=>click "Run"=>type "regedit"=>click OK.

Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Right click "Run"=>New=>click "String Value"=>Rename "New Value #1" to "SmartDefrag"=>right click "SmartDefrag"=>click "Modify"=>type "C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\IObit SmartDefrag.exe" /StartUp (including " ")=>click "OK"=>close "Registry Editor".

2)

Run AWC=>click "Tools"=>click "Startup Manager".

Disable Item Name "SmartDefrag (uncheck SmartDefrag)=>click "Apply" button=>click "OK" button.

or,

Uncheck the checkbox "Load automatically at Windows startup. (Recommended) in "Options" window of ISD and click "Apply" button.

Next time you start the PC, you will be the only one to have running SmartDefrag in start up.

3)

In IObit SmartDefrag "Options window", check "Minimize to system tray when program is closed. (Recommended) checkbox and click "Apply" button.

Note:

You have to delete the created string value "SmartDefrag", if you don't want ISD to run for you in the future

I hope this helps.

http://www.egem.com.tr/downloads/santasmiley.png

Thank you for your instructions. I just want to check a few things before doing them:

1) You seem to be telling me to create a new key in HKey_Current _User. However Smart defrag is currently being started by "HKey_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run". Should I change or delete this key?

2) If the program is started by "HKEY_current_user", what happens if I am not the first to log on and a limited user is the first to log on to the computer? Won't Smart Defrag start for him?

3) What is AWC? Do you mean the startup tab in msconfig (or other programs that can modify the startup)?

4) Today and yesterday the program crashed even though I was the only one logged on. How would your fix prevent these crashes?

I could find some of these answers by trying, but would appreciate it if you could kindly explain first and shorten the process.

Thanks for your help.

Baruch:-)

Hi r2baruch,

I will explain how to do that, please do it step by step.

1)

Go to registry editor:(click "Start" button=>click "Run"=>type "regedit"=>click OK.

Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Right click "Run"=>New=>click "String Value"=>Rename "New Value #1" to "SmartDefrag"=>right click "SmartDefrag"=>click "Modify"=>type "C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit SmartDefrag\IObit SmartDefrag.exe" /StartUp (including " ")=>click "OK"=>close "Registry Editor".

2)

Run AWC=>click "Tools"=>click "Startup Manager".

Disable Item Name "SmartDefrag (uncheck SmartDefrag)=>click "Apply" button=>click "OK" button.

or,

Uncheck the checkbox "Load automatically at Windows startup. (Recommended) in "Options" window of ISD and click "Apply" button.

Next time you start the PC, you will be the only one to have running SmartDefrag in start up.

3)

In IObit SmartDefrag "Options window", check "Minimize to system tray when program is closed. (Recommended) checkbox and click "Apply" button.

Note:

You have to delete the created string value "SmartDefrag", if you don't want ISD to run for you in the future

r2baruch,

1) Second (2)) step in my post is the explanation of the deletion of this key in two alternatives.

2) No, it will only start with you.

3) AWC is "Advanced WindowsCare" program. It is another great program by IObit of which also Professional is available. If you have not tried it, you should.

You can use the alternative in the second step, if you don't use AWC.

4) I don't think my fix can prevent the crashes, but please read this post.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

http://www.egem.com.tr/downloads/santasmiley.png

I made the changes you suggested i.e. move the startup command from HKLM to HKCU, and disable "Load automatically" in ISD options. The program still crashes within 10 minutes of logon. There wasn't anyone else logged on either. I have sent several bug reports and hope that the development team will look into this problem. Thanks for your advice, but the problem is still not solved.

I also have a small comment about AWC: the startup list does not specify the registry key responsible for the program. This is a serious deficiency and should be corrected in the next version.

Archived