IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

New version definition database

Leeman

I'm wondering if the new version will have a significant increase in the number of viable definitions. Right now IS 360 has about 147,000 definitions. At it's height before the MBAM fiasco, it had about 198,000 definitions. MBAM has over 210,000 right now. Granted IOBIT removed the suspected 'encroached' files that brought the total down, but is there going to be a resurgence in getting the definitions up to that level again or some other significant improvements/enhancements that will make the new version/name excel over the current version?

Hi Leeman

I think there is no doubt about it.

At the middle of Nov. they pulled about 47% of the definitions - which probably was the definitions they had added without checking at the time.

Since middle of Nov. 2009 the content of the definitions has risen to about 73% of the largest def. file it ever had.

68.9% of the largest size it ever had. (18.01.2010)

69,098 % of the largest size it ever had (20.01.2010)

69,29 % of largest size it ever had (22.01.2010)

69,46 % of largest size it ever had (25.01.2010)

72,46 % of largest size it ever had (18.03.2010)

I update this list from time to time in my post "Personal Test"

So it is rising all the time, as it looks right now it will be back at about the same size as it was at its bulkiest when we reach November. (more up to date though)

We still have to remember that Mbam has much more virus definition than IObit has. But it definitely isn't advisable to run any of them without an anti-virus program running alongside.

Cheers

solbjerg

I'm wondering if the new version will have a significant increase in the number of viable definitions. Right now IS 360 has about 147,000 definitions. At it's height before the MBAM fiasco, it had about 198,000 definitions. MBAM has over 210,000 right now. Granted IOBIT removed the suspected 'encroached' files that brought the total down, but is there going to be a resurgence in getting the definitions up to that level again or some other significant improvements/enhancements that will make the new version/name excel over the current version?

Hi!!

We still have to remember that Mbam has much more virus definition than IObit has. But it definitely isn't advisable to run any of them without an anti-virus program running alongside.

Cheers

solbjerg

We have to also remember MBAM doesn't run in real time for free and IObit does, and it's just a matter of time before we catch up in definitions.

garybear

Just remember one thing, guys and gals...

Comparing anti-malware tools' definitions can be a tricky deal. Some do tracking cookies, some don't. Some do viruses and worms, some don't.

Furthermore, some might even prune old definitions to lighten the load, so to speak. Having old, outdated definitions can make for good numbers, but as far as efficiency goes, we can debate.

Just read this on the official IS360 page the other day :

Overview

Security 360 Free is an advanced malware & spyware removal utility that detects, removes the deepest infections, and protects your PC from various of potential spyware, adware, trojans, keyloggers, bots, worms, and hijackers.

http://www.iobit.com/security360.html

I've said this before, here on the forums : worms and viruses are different, but often classified as one family. So again, care must be given when labelling targetted threats.

I say efficiency can only be measured by performance, in the real world. A real world full of nasties lol.

===

Archived