IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

The Donkey!!

garybear

Hi ! You may move this or delete it. It's a pretty good example of parable. ==garybear PS This is for you my friends at IObit. I also thought my other friends on the forum might enjoy this and so I started a thread. It can be moved to the appropriate place in a few days, or when ever my friend enoskype thinks it should be moved. Be sure to click it twice so you can read it. It works for me!

moral judgement donkey

Hi jim and gary

I wondered why the deuce the donkey had jumped down the well - after all it had run dry. But perhaps it thought that there were carrots down there or perhaps it just wondered how it was like down there?

It was helped up by the filling action and ought to have been grateful, even though the owners motive for the filling action was not to help it up.

Cheers

solbjerg

That is just great, I love it.

If he had kept up his braying while being piled with dirt, he would have been a bit of an arse. :-)

And biting the man that saved him (even though that wasn't his intention) is really unforgiveable.

Cheers

solbjerg

He didn't nag about it, though.

Hi, solbjerg,

Thank you for that.

As a boy I was so bright my mother called me sun, but age has thickened my senses somewhat so I may need help in deciphering your suggestion for making that Beta sign look like a double s.

Hi Ted

Beta (small) looks like this β The German double s looks like this ß

A sleight difference :-)

Beta is character 946 (in hexadecimal 03B2)

Double s is character 223 (in hexadecimal 00DF)

But of course one has to know that in Germany ß is spoken as two s's for my little joke to work.

For example street - is straße in German - they also write it strasse sometimes/often.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, solbjerg,

Thank you for that.

As a boy I was so bright my mother called me sun, but age has thickened my senses somewhat so I may need help in deciphering your suggestion for making that Beta sign look like a double s.

Hi, solbjerg,

But of course one has to know that in Germany ß is spoken as two s's for my little joke to work.
That's something new for me, thanks again, solbjerg.

When typing the alternative donkey name beginning with A in my "hoss-hole" post I put a full-stop between each letter, but I still got the row of dots

Hi Ted

Perhaps it would be smarter to use the upper case form of ß which is ¿

A¿ = It would then mean A followed by SS

(even though the acronym then calls shützstaffel to mind)

The SS never adopted the ¿ form :-) as far as I know!

Upper case number is always 32 below lower case (32 = 2^5) i.e. 0223 - 32 = 0191 = ¿

You write it by holding the key Alt down while tapping the number on the numberpad (must be the numberpad)

With most of the numbers below 256 (2^8) you have to write a 0 in front while those numbers are utilized for other purposes too, but some like for example 64 = @ doesn't need it.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s.

Alt + the numbers from 1 to 31 without the 0 in front generates:

☺ ☻ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ • ◘ ○ ◙ ♂ ♀ ♪ ♫ ☼ ► ◄ ↕ ‼ ¶ § ▬ ↨ ↑ ↓ → ← ∟ ↔ ▲ ▼

If you then format the Alt+3 = with size and red colour you have a greeting for a dear friend.

I often use the arrows

p.p.s.

Those I use most is 0176 degree sign °, 0177 plus/minus ±, 0178 squared ² as in square meter and 179 cubic ³ as in cubic meter - oh - and I forgot 960 phi π

Hi, solbjerg,

That's something new for me, thanks again, solbjerg.

When typing the alternative donkey name beginning with A in my "hoss-hole" post I put a full-stop between each letter, but I still got the row of dots

Hi Ted :-)

Just exercise a bit :-)

Not like Sherlock who is always running around in disguises but rather like his brother Mycroft :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

That lot will require a power of concentrated thought for me. What the hex happened to my savvy?

Just exercise a bit
You did mean hexercise, didn't you?

I'm having a bit of a play with those numbers, but the typed symbol doesn't always match the one you've shown.

☺☻♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ • ◘ ○ Alt+ 1-9

I'm obviously doing something wrong with the numberpad. Not hitting the correct keys to enter ten.

Alt+10 = ☺ Alt+1+0)

Alt+0177 = • (Alt+0+1+7+7).

Works in Notepad, but not in Wordpad.

Hi Ted

No, actually what you are doing here is ascii-ing :-) (American Standard Code for Information Interchange)

Keep the ALT key down while hitting 1 on the numberpad ☺

Keep the ALT key down while hitting the numbers 0177 in succession ±

Alt+10 should give you ◙ white ring on black background

Alt+19 ‼

I think they must have changed the behaviour in Notepad and Wordpad,

- earlier it was the other way round as far as I remember, but why they should have removed that functionality in Wordpad nonplusses me. (Wrong - did remember wrongly- sorry!)

It is only these that don't work in Wordpad:

Alt + the numbers from 1 to 31 without the 0 in front generates:

☺ ☻ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ • ◘ ○ ◙ ♂ ♀ ♪ ♫ ☼ ► ◄ ↕ ‼ ¶ § ▬ ↨ ↑ ↓ → ← ∟ ↔ ▲ ▼

The ones with a zero in front does!!!

With your Alt+10 it looks like you have hit Alt+1 released Alt - pressed again and hit 0 - Alt+0 doesn't give any character - so just keep the Alt key down until you have completed the number on the numberpad.

I just finished a shed for my lady 2 weeks ago

2,4 m x 3,6 m = 8,64 m² with a mean height of 2,1 m this comes to 18,144 m³ ☺

The hexadecimal numbers are most easily utilized in Word or Wordpad (ah - this is what I remembered I think) but doesn't work in Notepad.

try writing b0 (b zero) in word or wordpad place the cursor right behind it and hit the keys Alt+x it will then convert the hex number to character ° (degree sign)

B0 in hex is 11(b)x16 (second placement)+0 (zero) i.e. zero one's and 11 sixteen's = 176

FF would be 15 one's and 15 sixteen's = 255

Cheers

solbjerg

You did mean hexercise, didn't you?

I'm having a bit of a play with those numbers, but the typed symbol doesn't always match the one you've shown.

☺☻♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ • ◘ ○ Alt+ 1-9

I'm obviously doing something wrong with the numberpad. Not hitting the correct keys to enter ten.

Alt+10 = ☺ Alt+1+0)

Alt+0177 = • (Alt+0+1+7+7).

Works in Notepad, but not in Wordpad.

return of the donkey (A¿)

Hi Ted

Must get back on track perhaps :-)

Neither of the two protagonists are behaving morally correct in this parable.

The man should have shot/killed the donkey before burying it if he could not think of a way to get it out of the well.

As it turned out his method saved the donkey and it was therefore both ungrateful and morally incorrect to bite the man and by biting him subsequently kill him.

But that is perhaps what cantankerous donkeys do? :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Archived