IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

wont defrag files, Bug found.

I believe i found a bug in my 1.50 SD. After I deleted about 20+ gbs off my HD I tired to run SD but it kept coming back as not enough space. It was saying i had 38 gb left in my hd but couldnt defrag a 10 gb file, 3 gb file, and a 2 gb file. I didnt have skip any files on, but i enabled it to skip 10 gb files. Tried to run it again still wouldnt defrag the 3 and 2 gb files. So i restarted my pc and ran SD again. This time it was saying i had only 24 gbs left on my hd and still wouldnt defrag those files.

I believe i found a bug in my 1.50 SD. After I deleted about 20+ gbs off my HD I tired to run SD but it kept coming back as not enough space. It was saying i had 38 gb left in my hd but couldnt defrag a 10 gb file, 3 gb file, and a 2 gb file. I didnt have skip any files on, but i enabled it to skip 10 gb files. Tried to run it again still wouldnt defrag the 3 and 2 gb files. So i restarted my pc and ran SD again. This time it was saying i had only 24 gbs left on my hd and still wouldnt defrag those files.

Dear Metalace,

You had 38 GB left in you HD, but maybe there is not enough continuous space.

FYI, http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=7112

Hope it helpful. Cheers.

Do those large files happen to be 'Back-Up' files?

(generated by Windows Back-Up utility)

If so, SD has big problems trying to defrag those.

If not, what type of files are they?

(Knowing that may help, if they are similar to Backup files)

No there not back-up files, the 10 is a .daa and the other 2 are .dat files.

Dear Metalace,

You had 38 GB left in you HD, but maybe there is not enough continuous space.

FYI, http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=7112

Hope it helpful. Cheers.

Ive never had problems with it doing this before. It only started after i redownloaded the lotr high res installer and reinstalled the game. I just did a analyze and i had 50+ white blocks. Also i noticed that it keeps giving me different free space numbers. Like earlier i did a scan disk and after it finished it came up with 23.4 gbs left. And right now its showing 39gbs free. Also i forgot to mention i always use deep optimize.

Hi Metalace

If your harddisk capacity is 500 GB - 24 GB comes to 4.8% free space - 40 GB comes to 8% free space.

The usual recommandation for free space is at least 15%

Please give some more information.

Cheers

solbjerg

No there not back-up files, the 10 is a .daa and the other 2 are .dat files.

Ive never had problems with it doing this before. It only started after i redownloaded the lotr high res installer and reinstalled the game. I just did a analyze and i had 50+ white blocks. Also i noticed that it keeps giving me different free space numbers. Like earlier i did a scan disk and after it finished it came up with 23.4 gbs left. And right now its showing 39gbs free. Also i forgot to mention i always use deep optimize.

Hi Metalace

If your harddisk capacity is 500 GB - 24 GB comes to 4.8% free space - 40 GB comes to 8% free space.

The usual recommandation for free space is at least 15%

Please give some more information.

Cheers

solbjerg

Well my hard drive is 37.5 GB free of 232 gbs possible. I have had this hd completely full and it will still defrag with no problems. But that was awhile back and I forget the sd version. So I believe its just this version.

Sounds to me like it's Time for one of those new 'Tera-byte' drives! :wink: :-D

Well i want to upgrade this pc but dont have the cash. This pc was given to me from a friend of mines to replace my older pc that i repaired then gave to my brother since his motherboard on his fried somehow. His is actually better than this new one cause im using vista and hes using xp with a newer/faster video card i bought before i was given this one. I`ve been thinking about downgrading this os to xp since vista is a total fail. Maybe do a dual boot os, but the other hard drives i have, i dropped so they make a disk sliding sound when you turn them so i believe those hds are broken.

When you can get a computer that can handle it, I would suggest going to Windows-7 OS. I was surprized how much I like it.

I've Not tried Vista. I went from 98 to 2000 to XP, then 7.

W-7 does require more RAM, etc. ,tho.

Wait i thought vista was the one that required more ram and 7 is just a tweaked vista with less ram

I'm not sure about Vista but I think at least 2.GB of RAM is suggested for W-7.

From what I've seen in testing my Quad-core computer, with 64bit W-7, it defintely uses most of the 2.GB, and sometime more than that.

I think any more than 4.GB, on the mother-board, is Over-kill tho.

(most new Motherboards can handle 16.GB, but I don't think that much is needed)

The Video-card needs at least 1.GB of RAM also tho, if you are playing the new graphics intensive Games or something similar.

It really depends on what you are using the computer For, as to how much is needed, but I would recommend 4.GB for most users.

Well my hard drive is 37.5 GB free of 232 gbs possible. I have had this hd completely full and it will still defrag with no problems. But that was awhile back and I forget the sd version. So I believe its just this version.

Hi Metalace,

A screenshot (after Smart Defrag finishing an analyze) must be more helpful for solving your problem.

Cheers.

Not sure what happened to the screenshot looks perfect in windows but when i uploaded it to photobucket it looks like this. I also deleted about 40+ gbs earlier so its saying 83.7 gbs.

Dear Metalce,

I think I found your problems.

Please have a look following picture.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5978&stc=1&d=1284966755

Your largest Free Space (Continuous Space) is about 2.78GB while the 2 fragments files are both larger than 3GB. So there is not enough continuous space.

Suggestions:

Please try fast optimize several times, may more continuous space will be integrated together.

BTW, our coders are working hard on "Releasing" more Free Space. All issues like yours will be solved then.

Good luck, friend.

Well its must be a bug in the optimize process. I`ll run it and run it but it never does any optimizing. Ill do a fast optimize and it`ll do the scan then just quits without optimizing 1 file. Same thing goes for deep optimize and defrag, just scans the hd then quits. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

System Restore Points ?

weird the other day i did a deep optimize and it actually completed! Very strange.

I am certainly no expert on this but find it interesting, so I have been thinking about it and have a question.

Is the following correct:

• There must be a certain amount of continuous free space for SmartDefrag to do an an Optimize

• Windows keeps a certain amount of System Restore Points depending on the settings. When the limit is reached Windows will delete the oldest Restore Point to make room for the new one

• System Restore Points are Immovable items

If that is true, could it be that:

• An old Restore Point (or 2 or more) was 'blocking' the free space so that there was not enough continuous free space

• Windows has recently deleted the oldest Restore Point (or 2 or more) so it could create a new Restore Point because of changes to your system or because it was a scheduled (or whatever)

• When the oldest Restore Point was deleted there was then enough continuous free space for SmartDefrag to do an Optimize and this is why it 'suddenly' started working.

All the best, woz of oz

Hi wozofoz,

Certainly, it could be the scenario you described.

Deleting all the existing Restore Points and creating a new one could be a temporary remedy to the problem of Metalace.

I would strongly recommend to use one time offline (to defragment system files) defragmentarion with Perfect Disk. After that, Deep Optimize should reveal the expected result.

Cheers.

Hi all

I still think the amount of free space has something to do with it.

According to the numbers submitted there was only 16.16% free space.

Itobe has a good point too!

But all defragmenting runs better if the harddisk is only moderately filled.

Fragmentation also occurs to a much greater extent if the harddisk is filled.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi ace

Glad to hear it - thanks for the feedback!!

Yes a clean install if often the way to go. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

what fixed my problem was i did a advanced uninstall through advanced system care, then reinstalled SD. Its been working perfectly now, so maybe one of the files got corrupted in the older SD i had.

Archived