IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

TinySpell & WordWeb & Jarte

Ted

I use Open office for my spreadsheets, letter writing and Power-Point applications, however, I use Wordpad for my daily diary as it is so much faster. The only problem with it is the lack of a spell checker, but I found this little tool ( tinySpell http://download.cnet.com/TinySpell/3000-2079_4-10507622.html ) and this does the job nicely. Thought someone may be interested.

Good one

Hi, I don't need Word or OpenOffice on a regular basis so I just have OpenOffice Portable on an SD card in case I need it.

I tried TinySpell and it was great, a very smart idea :smile:

Since I use the wonderful Jarte (free version) combined with WordWeb dictionary (free) for my TXT and RTF I don't really need TinySpell.

Jarte launches instantly and as I am using it to write this TaskManager says it is using 13,156 K but when I minimize Jarte to the tray it only uses 1,868 K

Jarte has a spellchecker and you can add your common words like names etc to it's Ignore list as you come across them.

Auto save at regular intervals, tabs, favorite documents and folders, recent documents, sort, find, find and replace the list goes on.

Put the cursor on a word in Jarte and then Ctrl+D launches WordWeb (or any dictionary you have installed) and the dictionary and thesaurus result are displayed, when finished WordWeb goes away completely if you want. WordWeb uses 5,948 K sitting in the tray.

At a website you can select a word and launch WordWeb will show the relevant dictionary/thesaurus page in most cases, it doesn't work on some websites for some reason.

All the best, woz of oz

Thanks woz

The wordweb is really good, I have installed it and expect to use it very much.

Have been using Microsoft bookshelf basic (which was a free add-in in Office 97 English version) and wikipedia and webster, but wordweb combines all those - very handy!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, I don't need Word or OpenOffice on a regular basis so I just have OpenOffice Portable on an SD card in case I need it.

I tried TinySpell and it was great, a very smart idea :smile:

Since I use the wonderful Jarte (free version) combined with WordWeb dictionary (free) for my TXT and RTF I don't really need TinySpell.

Jarte launches instantly and as I am using it to write this TaskManager says it is using 13,156 K but when I minimize Jarte to the tray it only uses 1,868 K

Jarte has a spellchecker and you can add your common words like names etc to it's Ignore list as you come across them.

Auto save at regular intervals, tabs, favorite documents and folders, recent documents, sort, find, find and replace the list goes on.

Put the cursor on a word in Jarte and then Ctrl+D launches WordWeb (or any dictionary you have installed) and the dictionary and thesaurus result are displayed, when finished WordWeb goes away completely if you want. WordWeb uses 5,948 K sitting in the tray.

At a website you can select a word and launch WordWeb will show the relevant dictionary/thesaurus page in most cases, it doesn't work on some websites for some reason.

All the best, woz of oz

Hi, Woz,

Thanks for the Jarte tip. I downloaded and installed it. It certainly has heaps of bells and whistles and all the WordPad shortcuts work too. My daily diary file just loaded in and was read without a hitch. To get spell-checking on the fly you need the Pro version, though, but fortunately TinySpell does the trick for me.

....To get spell-checking on the fly you need the Pro version, though, but fortunately TinySpell does the trick for me.

Spellcheck as you type was one of the great features of Tinyspell but I am such a minimalist that I can't have programs that overlap even in the slightest way :roll:

In Jarte, Spellcheck as you type requires the pro version but when I have finished writing I just hit F7 (or Edit > Spell Check) and it checks the spelling, this is good enough for me and satisfies my minimalist side :smile:

Jarte tip to save a new RTF or TXT to a folder of your choice:

• If necessary, create the folder you want Jarte to save to

• Right click on the folder and choose Properties

• Note the Location (I don't think it can be copied) EG:

C:\Documents and Settings\Computer Name\Desktop\Folder Name

• Launch Jarte

• Help (?)

• System Information

• Edit Settings (select OK at the warning)

• Find (Ctrl+F): Initial Folder

Initial Folder specifies the default folder used by Open and Save. If the setting is left blank Jarte will automatically default to the Windows documents folder for your account (i.e., usually C:\My Documents on Windows XP and above).

Add the path of the folder you want Jarte to save to, EG:

Initial Folder=C:\Documents and Settings\Computer Name\Desktop\Folder Name

All the best, woz of oz

Portable WordWeb and Jarte

Thanks woz

The wordweb is really good, I have installed it and expect to use it very much.

Have been using Microsoft bookshelf basic (which was a free add-in in Office 97 English version) and wikipedia and webster, but wordweb combines all those - very handy!

Cheers

solbjerg

Sorry I'm late with this reply, had an internet breakdown of some sort.

WordWeb can also be installed to a USB Flashdrive or Card etc to carry it with you.

• Launch the installer

• Click Advanced Options

• Tick the USB option

• Browse to the USB Flashdrive

Jarte can also be carried on a USB Flashdrive etc

Read about it HERE

Installing Jarte to a USB Flash Drive

There are two methods to install Jarte to a USB flash drive:

1. Download the Jarte "Portable Install" zip file from the Jarte download page (if you are using Jarte Plus then contact Support or use method two below). Create an empty folder on the flash drive to hold the Jarte program and its files. Extract the zip file contents to the new folder. Be sure to turn on your zip program's Use folder names setting before unzipping!

2. Use Jarte's Install to USB Drive feature to direct Jarte to install a copy of itself on a flash drive.

All the best, woz of oz

when I have finished writing I just hit F7 (or Edit > Spell Check) and it checks the spelling, this is good enough for me :smile:
Hi, Woz,

Now I've tried that I find this is all I really want too. No need for TinySpell after all.

Perhaps you can help me with this: I have set Jarte for "Wrap to Window" and after loading my daily diary file I find that any three letter word at the right side of the window has the third letter hidden. I can insert a space before the word to force the word onto the next line, but what is set incorrectly?

Copy Paste

I'm guessing your daily diary file is RTF (Rich Text Format)

I am also guessing that your daily diary file was setup in WordPad and is 'designed' to fit it perfectly. Jarte is slightly different dimensions and so it doesn't quite fit.

This is just a guess because I only use this stuff for lists and notes, hopefully someone who uses text software on a regular basis will have some better knowledge and hints than I have.

What I would do is open a New RTF tab and set the Layout and Font and Wrap then open your diary, Select All and Copy it then back to the new RTF tab and Paste it in. Save it as whatever (you can Rename it later) and see if that looks different.

Layout:

I use Compact Layout as it gives me almost the whole screen left to right except for the paragraph bookmark gutter, Minimal Layout will give you more room at the top, I find Classic Layout a bit 'unusual'

But, you can tweak these layouts as well so there is a perfect one for you somewhere.

Font:

I use Bookman Old Style > Regular > 11 for RTF I like it's look and it is not as 'big' as others. It is also what I use for my computer icons etc.

This Reply is in Bookman Old Style but I couldn't set it to 11 (it's maybe 9 or 10 ?)

I use the default Notepad font (Lucida Console > Regular > 10) for TXT just because most of the world does.

Wrap:

Wrap to Window is default

P.S. Since the discussion has evolved, I added WordWeb and Jarte to the thread title

All the best, woz of oz

What I would do is open a New RTF tab and set the Layout and Font and Wrap then open your diary, Select All and Copy it then back to the new RTF tab and Paste it in. Save it as whatever (you can Rename it later) and see if that looks different.
Hi there, Woz,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this, but unfortunately it didn't do the trick. No big deal, though, I can live with it. It's okay with any new stuff, just some of the old text.

Yes, my daily diary file is an RTF one and I use the Compact layout too. Do you operate Jarte minimised or Maximised?

Hi, Woz,

I emailed Jarte Support yesterday and attached a small sample of my Daily Diary.rtf file. They were most helpful and corrected my problem:

1. Go to Edit > Select All

2. Go to Format > Paragraph > More Indents > Increase Indent Both Sides

3. Go to Format > Paragraph > Decrease Indent

4. Go to File > Save

This works perfectly and also gives me a bit of space before the right-hand margin.

Jarte is great

Hi, Woz,

I emailed Jarte Support yesterday and attached a small sample of my Daily Diary.rtf file. They were most helpful and corrected my problem:

1. Go to Edit > Select All

2. Go to Format > Paragraph > More Indents > Increase Indent Both Sides

3. Go to Format > Paragraph > Decrease Indent

4. Go to File > Save

This works perfectly and also gives me a bit of space before the right-hand margin.

Good news Ted :smile:

That is fantastic service from Jarte, I am very impressed :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

No can do

No, Jarte won't. I tried it with an ODS and just got gibberish

I haven't used it but you might want to have a look at AbiWord (free)

http://www.abisource.com/

AbiWord Portable (I'm going to have a look at this when I get time)

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/abiword_portable

Here is a review of different word processors, for AbiWord it says:

Supported formats: OpenOffice.org documents, .doc, .docx, .wps, .rtf, HTML web pages

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/word-processor-replacement.htm

All the best, woz of oz

Hi, danburrito,

You should be able to open your .odf or .odt files in Open Office, then save them in whatever format you choose.

Ted,

I am aware of that, thank you.

I was just wondering about friends sending *.odt files to me and me not being able to open them.

I ditched Ooo and went with AbiWord instead, don't really need an office suite just something to write with.

Archived