IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag caused this... why?

LFX64

Just wondering why Smart defrag has done this?

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/khaifx/?action=view&current=IOBitDefragdoesthis.jpg

I've used Smart Defrag so many times. I've used 1.5, moved onto Smart Defrag 2 beta 2 and beta 3.0. The other day I started a defrag and cancelled about 4-5 seconds after because I picked the wrong option. I've done that only once before but nothing happened. Unfortunately this time, it caused loads of unmovable blocks. I did a chkdisk, which took like 90 minutes and and it came back A-OK. Regardless of the black boxes, I continued to run a Full Optimise + Defrag. Nothing changed afterwards.

Yesterday, I recorded 60gig of stuff after recording Guild Wars gameplay. Piecing the video together in VirtualDub pretty much doubled that to about 120GB. I deleted the source videos after converting and compressing the new compiled files in HandBrake. Unfortunately after deleting those files and emptying the recycle bin, I have not gained my space back. I also opened up Smart Defrag again about 30 minutes ago to find 3x the amount of black unmovable blocks present. The fragmentation was to be expected after much messing around, but the monumental increase in unmovable files is a concern.

Could anybody perhaps shed some light on a possible remedy?

Oh damn... I'm an idiot. I totally forgot to delete the compilation files. They totalled 107GB (for 3 items). I now have 305GB out of my 465GB HDD, which is about right.

OK. I can see what the problem was... those videos, obviously. The huge number of black boxes have gone, because they're clearly too large to move anyway. There are some left though.

I'll have to track down the files responsible and delete them.

Nice lil tool this IObit toolbox. I think I'll hang on to this now. :)

I must remember to check the multiple folders after I'm done with my videos, since they get changed around quite a bit and there tends to be copies left, right and centre. :mrgreen:

Peace

Yeah, I have to be super careful as well because I only have a single 7,200 RPM 465GB HDD. It's quite unfortunate that FRAPS doesn't have a file size limit where it automatically stops, but I didn't expect my intentional 30 minute recording to turn into such a large file after pieced together. Any reason why 4 separate files, when pieced together with VirtualDub causes it to double or triple in size? Seems weird.

:D

I use VirtualDub to stick AVI files together. FRAPS records video but splits the video up into 3.98GB chunks in order to keep video and audio in sync.

With VirtualDub I stick them together. If I have 3 pieces of video, at 3.98GB each (let's just say 4GB), it should then be about 12GB. For some odd reason, it may end up like 20GB, or 30GB. I don't know why if it's just piecing AVIs together.

I know now to be more careful with such large files. :)

Hi LFX

I would guess that many of the black boxes are restore files in several locations, this would also explain why it hasn't given you back an equal amount of space like what you have deleted.

Cheers

solbjerg

Just wondering why Smart defrag has done this?

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/khaifx/?action=view&current=IOBitDefragdoesthis.jpg

I've used Smart Defrag so many times. I've used 1.5, moved onto Smart Defrag 2 beta 2 and beta 3.0. The other day I started a defrag and cancelled about 4-5 seconds after because I picked the wrong option. I've done that only once before but nothing happened. Unfortunately this time, it caused loads of unmovable blocks. I did a chkdisk, which took like 90 minutes and and it came back A-OK. Regardless of the black boxes, I continued to run a Full Optimise + Defrag. Nothing changed afterwards.

Yesterday, I recorded 60gig of stuff after recording Guild Wars gameplay. Piecing the video together in VirtualDub pretty much doubled that to about 120GB. I deleted the source videos after converting and compressing the new compiled files in HandBrake. Unfortunately after deleting those files and emptying the recycle bin, I have not gained my space back. I also opened up Smart Defrag again about 30 minutes ago to find 3x the amount of black unmovable blocks present. The fragmentation was to be expected after much messing around, but the monumental increase in unmovable files is a concern.

Could anybody perhaps shed some light on a possible remedy?

I got rid of most of the black boxes which were caused by absolutely HUGE compiled video files (AVIs), which were like 40GB each. Clearly unmovable. However I still have a problem. The 3-4GB which I didn't get back was caused when I first pressed Defrag but then cancelled it. It had tried to move files when I cancelled it. I believe these are the black boxes. These black boxes may well be spaces allocated for the file to move to, but weren't written to and therefore cannot be moved? I dunno. I clearly remember my drive having a few fragments but no black boxes, clicking defrag and going "Oh crap, no... don't want to do that" *cancel*... then when I clicked Defrag & Optimise, after it analysed, a ton of black boxes appeared. Not cool. I new I shouldn't have rushed out to play golf lol.

I don't know but I want these black boxes gone! I miss my super awesome, neat and tidy HDD. :'(

Hi LFX64,

I am not sure if it will solve it, but no harm trying chkdsk /R from Command Prompt running as Administrator, which will deal with the allocated empty space of the hard disk.

Also trying File Shredder in IObit Toolbox with "Wipe the allocated free space" option ticked may be a remedy.

Cheers.

Unfortunately the chkdsk /R thing didn't work. I just analysed via Smart Defrag 2 and the black bars are still present.

I'm now going to use IObit toolbar/file shredder and/or CCleaner's Free Space Secure Wipe.

I've just tried that. I turned restore points off. I turned them back on. I checked the HDD and it still has unmovable blocks. I even deleted the current restore points and created a new one after turning it back on. Still no change.

I've uninstalled a bunch of unused software and deleted some random videos, but that hasn't affected anything.

I analysed the disk with Defraggler, it reported no unmovable blocks.

Could this perhaps just be a major bug in Smart Defrag? False readings? I know these drive maps are usually quite inaccurate but it seems pretty consistent.

Thanks for the help by the way.

Hi LFX64,

Lets try PerfectDisk 11 (paid), the Pro version will be fully operative for 30 days as trial.

After analysing, you can right click on the blocks (the black ones in SD that you can guess exact location on PerfectDisk map) and you can see which files are they.

Also, you may try Ultimate Defrag in trial period and click on the blocks and see the files.

Cheers.

I took a peek at both but it involves handing over my name and e-mail address, which will undoubtedly lead to distribution to third parties and a massive influx of spam. I will not use those.

If need be. I'll just have to reinstall everything, all my games, all my saves, all my videos and music. The most important stuff will have to go on my 16GB Cruzer Flash Drive, an the rest will just have to go.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah, it is. I've cancelled defrag/optimisation before, perhaps two or three times, due to selecting the wrong thing and that's never happened before, but 2-3GB is missing and that black boxes won't shift.

I just did another analysis of my HDD via Smart Defrag 2 and sure enough those unmovable blocks are exactly that.

Think I should start over? Re-install Windows 7? Note, this is the upgrade version because I bought my PC shortly before Windows 7 came out, so I only actually got to use Vista for 2 months, lol what a waste. If I do reinstall, it'd be the 4th or 5th time I have reinstalled my OS. As it is OEM, I'm concerned about limits. I understand that it can only be used on one machine, but I'm still worried something might go wrong with installing. Does Windows 7 release its OS Key when a new version is installed over it? :)

I do indeed like fresh installs of OSs. All nice and squeaky clean. :D lol

FX

Oh... I heard that you might have to ring Microsoft. Thanks to their ridiculous anti-piracy measure. :( I don't know if this will affect me, but tomorrow I plan on re-seating my CPU Cooler, cleaning my Antec 1200 fans out and reinstalling my Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium OS. Hopefully all of that will be the last time I do it, but you never know.

Not impressed if I do have to ring. I don't actually have a house phone anymore. It was switched off because the insane rates Virgin Media (US and UK company) provide for line rental and their stupid call costs. Call costs being similar to mobile phone costs. Stupid really. I know most people have a phone, an I never imagined myself being without one, but if I was to use a mobile phone to ring up those Microsoft clowns, I know I'd run out of credit before the end of the call.

This is ridiculous.

Everything is so limiting. Not happy.

Hi LFX

Is it possible to run an sfc /scannow in Windows 7?

Did you try running the Windows defrag?

Cheers

solbjerg

Yeah, it is. I've cancelled defrag/optimisation before, perhaps two or three times, due to selecting the wrong thing and that's never happened before, but 2-3GB is missing and that black boxes won't shift.

I just did another analysis of my HDD via Smart Defrag 2 and sure enough those unmovable blocks are exactly that.

Think I should start over? Re-install Windows 7? Note, this is the upgrade version because I bought my PC shortly before Windows 7 came out, so I only actually got to use Vista for 2 months, lol what a waste. If I do reinstall, it'd be the 4th or 5th time I have reinstalled my OS. As it is OEM, I'm concerned about limits. I understand that it can only be used on one machine, but I'm still worried something might go wrong with installing. Does Windows 7 release its OS Key when a new version is installed over it? :)

I do indeed like fresh installs of OSs. All nice and squeaky clean. :D lol

FX

I took a peek at both but it involves handing over my name and e-mail address, which will undoubtedly lead to distribution to third parties and a massive influx of spam. I will not use those.

OK LFX64, here is the link for PerfectDisk setup file pd11_pro.exe downloading from C-Net:

http://download.cnet.com/PerfectDisk/3000-2094_4-10349543.html

You know, I am curious about those files too. :lol:

Cheers.

.. I heard that you might have to ring Microsoft.

I have reinstalled W-7 64bit before, but never more than 1 time per computer.

I to have read that there is a limit to how many times, but not sure what the limit is, without having to call.

I think I would try everything possible before doing another W-7 Install!

I have read Good reviews of 'PerfectDisk' (Enoskype's link), but I think that is the one that I could never get to download completely.

(not sure why it would not download, may have been a temporary server glitch)

Give it a try though.

I'll use the program you provided via the link, an test it out just to give you some info on whether or not it will work - just so people don't end up wasting their efforts in helping me.

I will tomorrow, end up reinstalling Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium OEM, regardless. It's only ever been installed on one machine, so hopefully I don't have to make any lengthy and unnecessary calls to Microsoft. I do indeed love to reinstall OSs, as I've mentioned before. I have a lot of unplayed games which take up a nasty 9-15gb each, uninstalling leaves traces anyway - even if they are obsolete registry folders (not keys), or folders in program files (86x) or App/Program Data. It's a shame these programs don't remove these either, but oh well, can't have everything.

Thanks for your help. I'll try that software now, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'll let you all know, but after that I won't be trying any other software because I'll be doing a few manual clean ups, some other maintenance, backup my files to my flash drive, an then running another pass over my free space before turning the PC off. Then tomorrow morning, reseating my CPU cooler, cleaning my fans, reinstalling Windows 7 (hopefully without problems) and then getting as few pieces of software as needed. :) Aha!

Ahh, this time I'll make sure I install fewer games I don't bother playing :D.

I'll check back to this thread after I've done all of the above, an let you know if those nasty blocks re-appear. If they do, after a fresh OS install, then I'm going to be very worried indeed. When I do go back to IObit Smart Defrag, I'll be going back to the trusty 1.5 version. It's just a shame 1.5's GUI is so small. Devs really need to realise that large resolutions are the norm these days. ;)

Peace folks

Used PerfectDisk 11. I have to say, it spends a great deal of time ensuring the system files and pagefile are defragged, an is probably far better than the 1 second defrag Smart Defrag offers, but it didn't do anything in relation to the unmovable blocks.

I'll be reinstalling Windows 7 tomorrow, an going back to Smart Defrag 1.5. I'll also only do optimised defragging once every 2 months, an I'll cut down on the secure file deletion, otherwise my hard drive won't last long.

After I install Windows 7 again tomorrow, I'll let you know about the blocks.

Peace

Archived