IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Registry-Size in Report.exe ?

Toppack

Imho!

If my theory is correct and my registry is 67.8MB, then deleting the entire registry would gain me very little free space on my 500 GB HD.

It is IMHO that registry cleaners are over rated unless you are installing and uninstalling APPs constantly . I'm not afraid of cleaners as I have my OS backed up with ERUNT, Macrium Reflect, Paragon and the W7 feature . It's just that I think they do more harm than good especially to newbies.

If my theory is correct and my registry is 67.8MB, then deleting the entire registry would gain me very little free space on my 500 GB HD.

It is IMHO that registry cleaners are over rated unless you are installing and uninstalling APPs constantly . I'm not afraid of cleaners as I have my OS backed up with ERUNT, Macrium Reflect, Paragon and the W7 feature . It's just that I think they do more harm than good especially to newbies.

I agree with your point if a Newbie uses the advanced option which is available in most Registry Cleaners. Over the years I have never had a problem with the basic registry clean offered by most Registry Cleaners. The advanced registry clean can be a lot more problematic though I have never had a problem with the ASC Pro Registry Cleaner or Defragger.8-):smile:

Whether Registry Cleaners have done my computer any good or not, I really don't know. Since they haven't with or two rare exceptions in the advanced clean mode done my computers any harm that I have been able to discern over the years, I go by the old basketball maxim. "No harm no foul" when it comes to using Registry Cleaners.

What I have found more highly problematic are the the Trace Cleaners. If those are not set exactly correct you wind up having all kinds of stuff cleaned from your computer, like browser passwords, scan file logs etc that you prefer not to have cleaned. Maybe it is just me but I think that there is a tendency among users to be a bit more lax is using Trace Cleaners than in using Registry Cleaners.

I even had one Trace Cleaner wipe out all my Firefox Bookmarks. Fortunately I back them up.

I'm glad you use a back up !!

If your not making a back up image of your OS on at least one external HD these days you are being very foolish.

I wish that I could make everyone create a back up image of their OS, but I can't. I can only suggest programs like Macrium Reflect, Arconis, Paragon, or at least the W7 back up feature. I have friends that won't even take the time to use the W7 back up feature; which is very simple to use. They will be very sorry when they lose their bookmarks like you did; or even lose some thing more important.

As far as registry cleaners, I only use the one In CCleaner. I have no problem with ASC Pro registry cleaner and I'm glad you haven't experienced any problems. Every PC is different. There seem to be some that have had problems, or they think they have. I can't say one way or the other.

I just believe that for me, their is no real positive reason to use them. That is just MHO. The bad can very easily wipe out any good they might do IMHO. :-)

If my theory is correct and my registry is 67.8MB

67.8MB is the size of the ERDNT folder, Not the Registry.

There is no way to get the hidden registry size using the File-manager.

You need to run:

dureg /a

In the Windows Command-prompt line, to get an accurate Registry size, according to Microsoft.

So, if Microsoft is correct and I think they are, since it's their OS, all other programs are slightly in error.

If your not making a back up image of your OS on at least one external HD these days you are being very foolish.

I wish that I could make everyone create a back up image of their OS, but I can't. I can only suggest programs like Macrium Reflect, Arconis, Paragon, or at least the W7 back up feature. I have friends that won't even take the time to use the W7 back up feature; which is very simple to use. They will be very sorry when they lose their bookmarks like you did; or even lose some thing more important.

As far as registry cleaners, I only use the one In CCleaner. I have no problem with ASC Pro registry cleaner and I'm glad you haven't experienced any problems. Every PC is different. There seem to be some that have had problems, or they think they have. I can't say one way or the other.

I just believe that for me, their is no real positive reason to use them. That is just MHO. The bad can very easily wipe out any good they might do IMHO. :-)

I agree with you on the backups. No only do I use Windows backup but also use Sync Breeze Ultimate along with having a number of items backed up to the Cloud.

I looked at all of the popular backup software including the ones that you mentioned but I couldn't find one that I liked. Most if not all of them zip or archive their backup data making it unreadable unless you can restore it with their branded backup product. Sync Breeze Ultimate works great. I set up the backups I want and it backs up and or synchronizes my files across the several computers on my network. This way I can go to anyone of my computers and open the file with the software that created it without having to worry about restoring it to read it or modify it. If I lose the file on one computer I just copy it back to that computer from one of the others using Windows Explorer.

Besides the Cloud I use Moz Backup to backup Firefox and Thunderbird and it has saved my butt a number of times including after that trace clean fiasco. If you want to pre-schedule Moz Backup you can just use the Windows Scheduler. Just make sure that Firefox and Thunderbird are closed when you run the backup.

Windows 7 backup does a great job of backing up the OS and users folders. I know because I have had to use it a couple of times to restore the Last Known Good Configuration.

CCleaner is pretty good but it is not the be all end all of cleaners. In fact it was wiping out my SAS scan logs until I figured out what was going on.

67.8MB is the size of the ERDNT folder, Not the Registry.

There is no way to get the hidden registry size using the File-manager.

You need to run:

dureg /a

In the Windows Command-prompt line, to get an accurate Registry size, according to Microsoft.

So, if Microsoft is correct and I think they are, since it's their OS, all other programs are slightly in error.

I wonder if Dureg runs on W8 DP? My gut tells me not to try it since it is linked into the Registry. I will have to read other's experiences about their use with W8 before I have the courage to use it on W8. Probably won't find any until after W8 RTM is out.:-(

I wonder if Dureg runs on W8 DP? My gut tells me not to try it since it is linked into the Registry. I will have to read other's experiences about their use with W8 before I have the courage to use it on W8. Probably won't find any until after W8 RTM is out.:-(

I doubt that Microsoft would let any of their Run-line commands damage W-8 DP. Have you tried any of the others, such as osk, calc, chkdsk or sfc ?

There's a list of other commands, on this webpage, that you could try also:

http://www.pcruneasy.com/run-commands.php

(this list does not have all the commands, but many)

I doubt that Microsoft would let any of their Run-line commands damage W-8 DP. Have you tried any of the others, such as osk, calc, chkdsk or sfc ?

There's a list of other commands, on this webpage, that you could try also:

http://www.pcruneasy.com/run-commands.php

(this list does not have all the commands, but many)

I decided to try sfc

Actually I was planning to create a short cut in W8 DP for the command prompt so this just gave me an excuse to finally due it. Since SFC verifies the integrity of the protected OS files on the computer it makes sense to run it on W8-DP computer.

Anyway, I started it off about 10 - 15 minutes ago and it should take a bit to finish. I will post back the result

Thanks for the link to the commands. I will take a look at it.

It finished and said

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations":-)

That is all I am going to try for now though I might change my mind and try dureg 8:) I first have to see if TweaksNow will install on the W8-DP.

I did install and run MSBA v2.2 (Microsoft Security Baseline Analyzer) on the W8-DP this morning. It ran okay but got what appears to be some conflicting results like it said I need to set my Windows Update to Auto even though when I look in the Control Panel Windows Update is set to Auto. It could be that there is another Update manager in W8 that is not activated in W8-DP and that is why it is giving me the message. I will look into more when I feel like it.:mrgreen:

Okay here is what I got on the Netbook with W8-DP Build 8102 x32

Tweaksnow-------35MB

ASC5 B2.1--------44MB

Dureg-------------51MB

There are five things that I can think that may be responsible for the smaller Registry size on my Netbook compared to my Desktops

1. I have many of same apps and utilities loaded on the Netbook and as I do on my Desktops with W7 SP1 x64. Though the total apps and utilities are greater in number on the Desktops.

2. I have also done a lot more installing and uninstalling of programs on the Desktops.

3. Not all the features and programs in W8-DP are enabled by default, for example Modern Reader.

4. A file on an x32 computer will take up less space than the same file on an x64 computer.

5. Windows 8 itself vs W7. How much of the smaller size could be due to the W8 code is beyond me:-)

That's it. Done for the day. Later

Registry size!

Hello Toppack! I'm probably out of my league, but will post any way.

Here are screen shots of my C drive before and after back up with ERUNT.

ERUNT added 113,278,976 bytes to my used space. I have to assume this is the size of my registry. Unless ERUNT is compressing the file.:-)

Hi frogy

Interesting!

There certainly are several parameters that one can use to find out the file size.

I decided to try to find out how much space 1 particular file took up on my machine-

I chose a file called "Demens Quiz"

In its properties it said that the size was 39.5 Kb and its disk use was 12 Kb

I then made a search for this file and found 4 items, the file itself, 2 shortcuts and an internet link

The first shortcut 785 byte; disk use 4 Kb - and the second shortcut 582 bytes; disk use 4 Kb

The internet link must be at least 100 bytes - could not find any record of its size.

The actual space this file takes up is then open to interpretation according to which parameters you choose

If you choose the disk space parameter it gives you 20 Kb, if you choose the size parameter it gives you around 41 Kb - a bit more than the double. If you choose the largest number in in each file parameter it will yield a result of about 48-52 Kb :-)

Additionally there will be a registry item in at least the recent search in the registry (if I haven't run a registry cleanup :-) .)

So it must be according to parameters it decides on how much space is used.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. attaching the file (this will be recorded too and will then make the use of space for this file even larger - about 7-11 Kb more) :-)

Hello Toppack! I'm probably out of my league, but will post any way.

Here are screen shots of my C drive before and after back up with ERUNT.

ERUNT added 113,278,976 bytes to my used space. I have to assume this is the size of my registry. Unless ERUNT is compressing the file.:-)

Demens Quiz.zip

Over my head and pay grade!!

Hello Solberg. You are way over my head sir.

I tried to open your zip file but I do not have Office 2010.

I have a limited knowledge of computers but I'm afraid you are way over my head.

I think that the way I found my registry size is fairly accurate, but I can't be positive about that.

Thank you for your response. Maybe some day I will understand your reply, but for now it is way past my limited knowledge.

There is much to learn and the computer world changes every day.

Thank you sir!! ;-):-)

Hi frogy

I am sorry - what is it you do not understand?

The attached file is just for your enjoyment - it can be opened by a Word viewer that Microsoft provides for free

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=4

from this link.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s.

ERUNT Emergency Recovery Utility NT (New Technology)

(the program used to create a backup)

ERDNT Emegency Repair Disk NT (New Technology)

(the folder used by default to store the file created by erunt)

Hello Solberg. You are way over my head sir.

I tried to open your zip file but I do not have Office 2010.

I have a limited knowledge of computers but I'm afraid you are way over my head.

I think that the way I found my registry size is fairly accurate, but I can't be positive about that.

Thank you for your response. Maybe some day I will understand your reply, but for now it is way past my limited knowledge.

There is much to learn and the computer world changes every day.

Thank you sir!! ;-):-)

I found Info about ERDNT and ERUNT:

backup and restore your registry using the freeware programs “ERUNT” and “ERDNT”.

use ERDNT to restore the registry

I think All Backups are Compressed, so would not be same size as Registry.

(but I could not find Info stating that it is compressed or not)

But I am sure that ERDNT folder would Not be same size as the Registry.

since the Registry is a File, not a folder.

I now have a computer dedicated to writing PowerShell scripts,

and I've been trying to develop an .exe program that will display the Registry size, derived from dureg /a.

So far, I've got the script to read dureg data, but still can't get it converted to a running .exe. :roll:

I think I need to get another compiler (converter) program?

The free one I have don't seem to be working with PS-2 scripts?

Or it may be that something is missing from my script file?

At least I've Not Destroyed the Registry file, Yet! :-D

Good luck on your .exe program!

I now have a computer dedicated to writing PowerShell scripts,

and I've been trying to develope an .exe program that will display the Registry size, derived from dureg /a.

So far, I've got the script to read dureg data, but still can't get it converted to a running .exe. :roll:

At least I've Not Destroyed the Registry file, Yet! :-D

Hello Toppack. I'll leave all this for you smart people to solve.

I'm not scared of the registry, but I respect it. I have had to use Macrium to restore my OS before.

I have all the Apps that I need and want so no need for me to be messing around there very often. CCleaner is all the cleaning I need to keep my PC running the way I want it to. If it gets to bogged down, I'll just put a fresh copy of W7 on my drive and start over.:lol:

I do like to monitor my PC and keep track of changes. So far the registry doesn't seem to be growing to much.

Good luck on your .exe program

Archived