IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

DVD-R DL discs

Ted

Have any of you had any experience with burning double layer or dual layer discs? I have a collection of old family VCR tapes which I'm editing and rendering to DivX files as my Sony DMR-XW380 DVD recorder only recognises this codec. My DVD burner is an LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM-GSA-4163B about seven years old and I have the Pro version of Ashampoo Burning Studio 10.

DVD+R DL disks hold about 8.5GB, twice as much as single layer.

The biggest problem with them is that there can be a pause, of several seconds,

when switching from one layer to the other, in read mode.

DL drives are usually slower than SL drives. (less than 20x write speed) But if you have a fast computer that's No problem.

The DL drives have been about three times more expensive, but I saw some really low prices on eBay.

Other than that they are Great.

hi Ted

well I be careful using them .I suggest if you want to try one out first be a good idea.

I have used a few and find them not easy to burn to, R/W

every time I format one ,lose the 8 gb and defaults to 4 GB,

unless there is some way of doing this other then the OS that defaults it to 4 GB,or use a special program but can get them to 8gb ..thy are not cheep

"My DVD burner is an LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM-GSA-4163B about seven years old"

well that's why I try one first ? could be a problem?

MR Bean

Hi, Toppack and Mr Bean, thank you for your replies. I splashed out and bought a Verbatim DVD-R DL disk for $4.90 NZD, but I think it's either a crook one or my LG burner is not compatible. After compiling the project and inserting the disc my Ashampoo Burning Studio 10 Pro. just keeps asking for DVD+R DL although the help file says it supports DVD-RDL also. BurnAware Free says there is no disc inserted and ImgBurn shows nothing at all. I did read somewhere about updating the LGs firmware and was wondering if that would do the trick.

hi again

same thing here same make and cost when I perched them 2 of them $12 but that's a year or more back , thinking I had to format them as thy could not be seen as 8gb. then thy were formatted to 4gb (do not format them if you think thy are crook and exchange them or get the cd chop to test them??))

why I do not understand ! and why thy could not be seen a 8gb.

perhaps some one can point that out??? or how to format them back to 8 gb?

R/W

any how just lost interest in them (8gb) i wanted them as boot-able live cds,and add programs on them.

Mr Bean

Hi, Mr Bean,

Yes, I'm starting to lose interest too. If a new burner is the answer, then I'm not sure whether or not my Panny DVD recorder will play them, anyway as some of the statistics in its manual are a bit hard to follow.

DVD recorder will play them,

yes that's a other thing to think about I have 2 now one i dumped as it had problems reading ,the older one on my spare TV is ok but has problems with 8 gb disks ,get the error often and freeze up ..then drop out!

the new one the kids gave me also not that hot with them

the 4 gb are fine.

so its a matter of just putting in the next DVD if a movie has 2 or more cds

I was thinking that 8gb would of been ok ,and perhaps are,but for me just no luck using them.

so the cost of them far exceeds the usage I gave them away.and formatted them to default .4gb.

funny thing a flash drive verses CD is not that much cost difference

and turned my interest to them as file (temp) loading or store ing .

but that's not playing on a dvd is it.

Mr Bean

hope I did not turn you of the idea as not what I meant , but have to agree

that purchasing a new reader,well not in my books ,as I have 1, 2 year old reader./W and 2 in the other net box 1 R/W And 1 R only. this is a very old one 52X reader, the other one about 7 year old or so.and work perfect, plus 2 spares sit under the table with the drives..read only thy are very old now .but work also ,

I stopped spending on hardware , the problem 1 wasting money,and trying to keep up was hopeless, so the last 2 years just stopped flat.bar the OD flash drive or cds that's it. 5 hard drives that I be flat filling and the out side boxes

total 4 ty bys all up that's all I am going to need if ever I even come close to using all of the space, just on this unit 2.7 ty bytes plenty !

so long as thy keep well,that's plenty for me .now .slowed down a lot ,storing programs ,and never even use 2% of what I collected,that's not even what's on all my cds,and really no idea how much I have there,far to many ,and slowed down with them as well,getting to old ,and the cost tho now far cheaper perhaps wasted a lot of money.

but thy tell me the blue ray disks are the new thing now ,not that I know any thing about them .are more expensive, and hold a heap on them .for me now well not interested, at this time ,a little interest was spark by your post and down loaded a few burning programs ,see if I can get them 8gb to work as thy suppose to ,see what happens

Mr Bean

Hi, Mr Bean,

No, you didn't turn me off the idea as I was having second thoughts, anyway. If it ain't broken don't fix it they say and I've had no problem with the 4.7 discs. It just means using a couple more, that's all and I'll then have plenty of space for future additions without the worry of running short on space. I've gained a bit more experience too. Thanks again for your input.

Cheers,

Ted.

------------

you are very welcome

interesting this do not know if you all remember the duel sided cds?

burn then on both sides. ,I do not know but think thy ended up a flop,thy were not cheep $20 od at the time ,I first saw then ,never tried one as something about them I disliked. i was looking hard at the few, I have and still cannot work out how thy get to 8gb, being R/W thy just will not format to 8,I do know 2 are bad and tossed them.the others 2 left are now closed, with live files ,

and what a wast of space ,still better then in the can..

any how been interesting.

Mr Bean

Archived