IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Fish-Tank Computer

Toppack

I purchased another CPU, an AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, that I found on eBay, at about half the Retail price.

When I asked why he was Selling it, he said his wife wanted the Fish-tank back, to put fish in.

He said he filled the tank with Mineral-oil and ran the computer with the Mobo in the tank. :shock:

I suppose that should keep it cool,

but I'm wondering how Oily it's going to be, when I put it in my computer? :?:

I may have to put it in the Dish-washer first? ;-)

:lol:

I got the X6 CPU and no Dish-washer required. :grin:

I slid into the socket like it was well Lubricated. :wink:

It posted with no problems, except for a strange Fishy Smell, for a little while. :shock:

I will next try to Over-clock it, to see how High this Fish will Jump. :lol:

Hi Toppack!

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I don't see the point of opening a new one... as there are already so many threads we can be stuck like a bug:grin: My question is somewhat pertinent to this thread.

Q: When does internal temperature get so high that it begins to impede the various hardwares and cause system generated BSOD's??

Referring to YawnO's BSOD thread -> http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=70013#post70013

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Q: When does internal temperature get so high that it begins to impede the various hardwares and cause system generated BSOD's??

When you say "internal temp" I assume you mean the Internal temp of the major Chip components such as CPU,

NorthBridge, Southbridge and the GPU on video card.

Each component type has an average Maximum Temp range, depending on which model or version,

but generally most made now can handle higher temps than older designs.

It's really the 'luck of the draw' though, since each component is slightly different than the next.

I've seen videos of newer design CPUs and GPUs being Overclocked and running at close to 100deg.C with no problems,

but it's best to keep below 60deg.C. Above that is Really hot.

Above 75.deg and you are asking for trouble.

Accurately measuring the temp is another major difference.

Older Chips did Not have internal temp monitor capability, like the new ones do.

Getting a temp-probe in close enough, with the older ones, is very difficult.

The newer BIOS firmware has temp monitors included.

I'm not sure if I answered your question?

If not, let me know, and I'll try again. ;-)

By "Lapping" I assume you mean Flattening (or polishing) the top surface of the CPU and the mateing surface of the Heatsink?

If so, it seems that trying to improve the contact area by doing that would run the risk of damaging the cpu pins and the silver-impregnated compound, normally used at that contact surface, does a very good job of conducting the heat away from cpu.

I've seen some heat-tube heatsink designs that really need flattening but most have a plate that contacts the cpu and are very flat already.

Here's the Silver compound I use:

(There's a Good Video, about it, on this webpage also)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

Archived