IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

"Windows8update.com" - Software Giveaway – IObit Malware Fighter Pro

Buddahfan

The website is to my knowledge legit.

However, given that to my Knowledge IObit has never said that IMF is Windows 8 compatible I find this giveaway a bit strange.

Also, I know that there are issues with IMF when running it in W8-DP because I am doing just that on both a x32 and x64 computer. Same apparent issues on both which I have already posted about.

Software Giveaway – IObit Malware Fighter Pro

by Onuora Amobi on November 28, 2011

Before you continue, you should Run a Free scan to check your PC for hidden errors.

Hey people, more free software for you at Windows8update.com!

This week, we have been graced with 5 free licenses of IObit Malware Fighter Pro

more on link above

Can anyone explain why Windows 8 Update website is giving away IMF Pro licenses when IMF does not work correctly with W8-DP?

Text from page associated with the link in post #1:

"This week, we have been graced with 5 free licenses of IObit Malware Fighter Pro."

Windows8.com is NOT affiliated with Microsoft Windows in any way... it is only the domain name belonging to somebody else.

Text also from the link:

"The site is run by Onuora Amobi.

Onuora AmobiOnuora Amobi

Onuora is an accomplished entrepreneur and leader with exposure to multinational environments in addition to a verifiable history of upward career progression. In addition to an accomplished career in Enterprise IT, he has successfully transitioned into a leadership role in online marketing and entrepreneurship."

The page appears to be clean with the usual annoying plugs(promotions) etc. Don't see threats except for the same risks for the unknowledgeable user who may pay for a piece of garbage through the ads. Iobit Support has been notified and they will post back concerning the legitimacy of this offer.

-Mel

Also see the IMF web page system requirements information below:

Operating Systems Supported

• Microsoft® Windows® 8
  • Microsoft® Windows® 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) Starter/ Home Basic/Home Premium/Professional/Ultimate
  • Microsoft® Windows® Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) Starter/Home Basic/Home Premium/Business /Ultimate
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP (32-bit and 64-bit) with SP2/SP3 or Home/Professional/Media Center
  • Microsoft® Windows® 2000

Cheers.

Also see the IMF web page system requirements information below:

Cheers.

IMF Pro may support Windows 8 but like I have posted several times and contacted support through emails IMF Pro does not work correctly on W8-DP and never has. I have had IMF Pro installed on at least one of my computers running W8-DP from the very first week that W8-DP become available to the public.

Maybe it is only the GUI but the stats have never appeared to show anything but zeros. Also I don't recall IMF Pro ever showing that "Block-Allow" popup on W8-DP though I have seen plenty on W7. I have the same third party software installed on W8-DP as I have on the W7 SP1 computers (dual boot side-by-side on two computers) with a couple of exceptions that won't install on W8-DP. I have seen the Block-Allow pop-ups relative to a number of programs when I installed them on W7 but don't recall ever having seen one Block-Allow pop-up on W8-DP during the install of these programs on W8-DP.

Yesterday I configured my third network computer for W8-DP. IMF Pro was one of the first programs I installed yesterday on that newly configured W8-DP computer. I don't recall having seen one "Allow-Block" popup during the installation of the other programs on that computer.

I have now converted my entire very small network (2 x64 and 1 x32) to W8-DP.

If I see any of those pop-ups in the future I will post. However, as far as I am concerned while IMF Pro does auto update, scan and find threats on W8-DP those other two items I mentioned above are problematic at best.

Bottom line on all this is:

Since the stats on the GUI are all zero and I don't recall ever having seen the "Allow-Block" popup in IMF Pro on a W8-DP computer I have no idea if IMF Pro is actually blocking anything on a W8-DP installation even though all eight Real-Time Protection Guards are indicated as being "On".

The reason I questioned this giveaway is because it seems like a PR mistake for IObit to allow a legitimate Windows 8 website to give away free licenses of IMF Pro when IMF Pro appears not to work properly on W8-DP.

Hi Buddahfan,

Perhaps you have just clicked the Quote button, but since it was my post, I take the opportunity to reply.

I have been following your posts about IMF and W8-DP and that's why I wanted to attract the attention of IObit on that subject.

I also believe that IMF is not totally ready for W8 yet.

We don't know the source of the license codes for the giveaway, so perhaps IObit wants IMF Pro to be tested more with W8.:idea:

Cheers.

I also believe that IMF is not totally ready for W8 yet.

perhaps the other way around ?

its a developer OS not a public release full operating Os so the rest posted

will this or that run on a unfinished os is useless to post warnings about

this OS be dead in 3 or so mounts.a beta 1 will replace it then a beta 2 or 3 before we see a full release. then by then probably run fine...

as IOBIT would have it fixed!

Falling for cons like the give aways well do not be stupid and fall for it unless IOBIT posts this here first...any one falling for this is a silly Pearson.!

always check this out here and as the rest is crap!

"I have now converted my entire very small network (2 x64 and 1 x32) to W8-DP." you mean developer windows 8"

good luck to You ..

MS warned people the developer OS should not be used on the net as its unstable and has many flaws...and not very secure.

a legitimate Windows 8 website "Maybe" but i do not think that is the case...

nothing to do with MS at all

Thy Do not run this site..or are associated with it ,!!!

WARNING FROM MS DOWNLOAD PAGE

The Windows 8 Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment. The features and functionality in the prerelease software may not appear in the final version. Some product features and functionality may require advanced or additional hardware, or installation of other software.

WARNING

Note: You can't uninstall the Windows 8 Developer Preview. To go back to your previous operating system, you must reinstall it from restore or installation media.!!

so think on it if you are going to install windows *8* developer version pre beta..

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

Mr Bean

I would like to point out there is no official Windows 8 only the developer version. that has a time bomb built into the OS to run out inside a time limit

that will stop it from working. I also understand you cannot update it?

and need a fresh install when the 1st beta is made public..

the other thing is Doing what our poster has done well seems to me a risky business,but he seems to now what he is risking

Warning to the ones who are not familiar with the in and out of the os

you need a spare drive.do not install it over the one you have NOW Xp,vista,or windows 7. you can not go back to it and will lose every thing you had

or you will need a full image of the drive before you install this version.

The reason I am posting The Warning that some may try what he is doing..

And lose it all inside of its time limit. now I think its 90 Days but not sure..

and you need to reinstall it from a formated drive or install your back up

Plus it may not even boot up ? remembering its not even a testing OS(BETA)

Read the MS warning thy did not give it without good reason!!

It should not be used in a production environment.

IN other word as your main OS its not stable,nor thy give you a garatee it is

USE it AT your OWN RISK....

in my case playing with it lost it 3 times

failing to boot up..had to format the drive and reinstall it..the 4-th , time gave it a wide burst!

its not comparable yet with many program's and did lock up on me a few times.

Now the rest is up to you...

you been warned...

Mr Bean

I would like to point out there is no official Windows 8 only the developer version. that has a time bomb built into the OS to run out inside a time limit

that will stop it from working. I also understand you cannot update it?

and need a fresh install when the 1st beta is made public..

the other thing is Doing what our poster has done well seems to me a risky business,but he seems to now what he is risking

Warning to the ones who are not familiar with the in and out of the os

you need a spare drive.do not install it over the one you have NOW Xp,vista,or windows 7. you can not go back to it and will lose every thing you had

or you will need a full image of the drive before you install this version.

The reason I am posting The Warning that some may try what he is doing..

And lose it all inside of its time limit. now I think its 90 Days but not sure..

and you need to reinstall it from a formated drive or install your back up

Plus it may not even boot up ? remembering its not even a testing OS(BETA)

Read the MS warning thy did not give it without good reason!!

It should not be used in a production environment.

IN other word as your main OS its not stable,nor thy give you a garatee it is

USE it AT your OWN RISK....

in my case playing with it lost it 3 times

failing to boot up..had to format the drive and reinstall it..the 4-th , time gave it a wide burst!

its not comparable yet with many program's and did lock up on me a few times.

Now the rest is up to you...

you been warned...

Mr Bean

Thanks for informing the others of some correct and incorrect facts

1. Yes W8-DP expires.

2. Considering that MSFT was pushing W8-DP as a public download I doubt that MSFT will leave those hanging who installed W8-DP when it expires. I would bet a lifetime license of IMF Pro if there were such a thing that the moving from W8-DP to W8 Beta will be simple. If it is not they are going to tick off millions of W8-DP users and I am pretty sure that they don't want to do that.

My guess is that the way the Beta install will work is the same way as the W8-DP install works.

a. You can reformat your "C" hard drive and install W8-DP clean

b. You can just install W8-DP on the same logical boot drive as W7 as in my case on my Netbook and it wipes out the use of W7 but not all of its files. This is sloppy.

c. For those who have chosen to create a logical internal hard drive in which to load W8-DP you load it there and create a side-by-side dual boot machine leaving W7 fully functional. This is what I did on my desktops.

Most likely the Beta install will offer those three choices.

However. It will however be interesting to see if MSFT just updates W8-DP through the Windows Auto Updater. I am not counting on this but it sure would be cool.

3. You don't need an extra physical hard drive. All you need is about 30 GB of contiguous free space on your physical boot drive and you can set up the side-by-side dual boot option which I did.

Just for the record. I am not longer using W7 on any of my computers and I can tell you that W8-DP is a better product than W7-SP1, far better. It is not even close and I used to like W7.

I do agree with the other poster on one thing. This is not for the newbie or even average user. However, for the advanced Windows user give it a try. You might enjoy it.

Most programs run well on W8-DP. Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office, IObit products etc. However for people who play games on their computers that is another whole different world which I can't comment on. Also third party anti-virus products must be replaced with the Native W8 Windows Defender a fully functional anti-malware program. I used avast! AIS for a couple of years on my W7 computers and really liked it. However if W8 Windows Defender continues to perform as well as it has so far third party Windows OS AV companies might as well start laying off people come next fall.

hi to you

yes I agree on one thing this when thy get it going will be better than 7

thy hope it will be there new XP...I still wonder why thy stopped developing it

It still out sold any last year.

how much better who Nows.its very fast the first thing I noted. it need 's refinement as what we have is a raw OS 3 parts working first this that failed were a lot of older soft ware just would not run reading what MS stated thy are not interested in old software running on the OS that run on 7

the other thing is in all fairness IOBIT probably may not function for some time .properly I remember when widows 7 came out it took them Or rather held back till the first version (out of beta was available) not long after it worked fine.This Be the case Now And rightly so...

The beta should be available in February from what I have heard and reading the different sites saying the same

then give it a other go .

so what you going to do with your 7 as it is using up space? if you are not going back to it..

why I stated a spare drive was wanting to hang on a bit it has its own drive

and lose nothing.

I have 3 and one empty for 8...one has Linux the other 7 ....till I am happy 8 will work like I want it TO.and should why would it not? only thing ......hopeful and believe it will I have that Feeling like when XP was first made...

Something tells me this is going to be a really good OS...the fact it crashed

did not bother me .as I suspected it would installing older applications

On 7 when first one was available only 1 fire wall worked 100%

till thy made changes to other ones the one that worked failed on 8 pity

"you now something still have the first 7 beta. 30 day time limit..

and the first XP made .just for Keep sake ..."

any how thanks for the input and enjoy the *8* preview .

Mr Bean

Also third party anti-virus products must be replaced with the Native W8 Windows Defender a fully functional anti-malware program. I used avast! AIS for a couple of years on my W7 computers and really liked it. However if W8 Windows Defender continues to perform as well as it has so far third party Windows OS AV companies might as well start laying off people come next fall.

This is disturbing!

Avast, Avira, AVG, Eset... etc

MSSE has proven itself to detect threats. The Microsoft Malicious software removal tool has been around for awhile. Windows Defender (unfunctional but there) has been around as well..

So you are stating that no external Anti-Virus will work on Win 8?!? In the upcoming real release??? Unless they change something from now until then?

There are no options to unselect or choose your firewall or anti-virus?

I will never put my faith behind one firewall/AV program! That is STUPID You must have independence within your system! If you rely on one software manufacturer to supply all your needs then ultimately your system will fail you in some manner... even if it works perfectly!

Linux looks better every day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Mel:smile:

Also third party anti-virus products must be replaced with the Native W8 Windows Defender a fully functional anti-malware program.

well Thats Interesting. tho wonder if thy may enforce this...plus only be able to use MS Fire Wall .and not turn it of? my problem is the defender ,the fire wall running is nothing as a 3rd party fire wall should not be a problem .

its the defender .this will and can stop any program from running..Reading the nett .Some posted thy cant some tell you how you can..in 7 I do not have ether one running.(thy are disabled) totally .but do not suggest any one thy should,better than nothing...

I seem to remember Doing a test just using Win fire wall And passed 100%

at Gibson a long time back..so its pretty OK

Mr Bean

Microsoft: 3 million downloads of Windows 8 developer preview since BUILD

By Tom Warren, on 15 hours ago

Microsoft revealed on Tuesday that there has been 3 million downloads of the Windows 8 developer preview since September.

The software giant introduced its Windows 8 developer preview in September at the company’s BUILD event. Over 3 million copies have been downloaded and Microsoft is pushing towards a beta in early 2012 (now confirmed for late Feb)

Microsoft previously revealed that it had recorded 500,000 downloads of the Windows 8 developer preview in just 24 hours.

The article mentions that Beta will be shown at CES in January

I seriously doubt that MSFT will make it too difficult for 3+ million W8-DP users to upgrade to Windows 8 Beta.

The more I think about it, the more ISTM that W8-DP users will get a pushed through update to Beta via the Windows Auto Update feature.8-)

Archived