IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Black Toolbars In IE8 After Upgrade

wsdave

I'm starting a new thread for this problem that appeared under Outlook Express Problem.

For several weeks I have been attempting to upgrade to version 5.

I have been using the latest file version 5.1.0.196 and performing a clean install. Once ASC is installed I get the black toolbars IE: black background w/black text (see attachments).

This is the only issue I haven't been able to resolve.

I uninstall version 4 using the program's uninstaller, run BitRemover, delete all IObit subfolders under Program Files>IObit, delete all IObit folders and subfolders under Documents & Settings and reboot my system and run install file.

It doesn't matter if I choose to install or decline the IObit Toolbar/Yahoo search options - the results are the same.

Once ASC is installed I open Internet Explorer and all is fine (homepage #1). I now reboot the system and open IE again and there are the black toolbars as shown in homepage #2. This occurs prior to any scans being run. Running quick or deep scans do not change anything.

I have tried to uninstall the tool bar but all that occurs is the IObit toolbar disappears leaving the black toolbars.

I have tried Tools>Internet Options and going to Color under the General Tab to force Windows to use the grey background with black text. Doesn't change.

I have drilled into the registry but cannot find any traces of ASC version 2,3 or 4.

I realize that ASC "shouldn't" be changing IE settings but it is happening. These toolbars look like they may be overlays as I "think" I see a grey toolbar beneath.

I have an imaging program that allows me to "play" with my system.

I do not know what else I can do and ANY help would be appreciated :-?

Thanks

Dave

Hi wsdave

I don't remember if you have tried a Clean Uninstall of IObit Toolbar and/or a Clean Uninstall of Yahoo search options as well as a clean uninstall of ASC5? Prior to just installing ASC5 without the two extra options!

Is there something special about your computer or screen setup?

Does your computer automatically save your configuration and then return you to your former settings? Is that build into your operating system or could it be a setting you have chosen yourself a long time ago?

Cheers

solbjerg

I'm starting a new thread for this problem that appeared under Outlook Express Problem.

For several weeks I have been attempting to upgrade to version 5.

I have been using the latest file version 5.1.0.196 and performing a clean install. Once ASC is installed I get the black toolbars IE: black background w/black text (see attachments).

This is the only issue I haven't been able to resolve.

I uninstall version 4 using the program's uninstaller, run BitRemover, delete all IObit subfolders under Program Files>IObit, delete all IObit folders and subfolders under Documents & Settings and reboot my system and run install file.

It doesn't matter if I choose to install or decline the IObit Toolbar/Yahoo search options - the results are the same.

Once ASC is installed I open Internet Explorer and all is fine (homepage #1). I now reboot the system and open IE again and there are the black toolbars as shown in homepage #2. This occurs prior to any scans being run. Running quick or deep scans do not change anything.

I have tried to uninstall the tool bar but all that occurs is the IObit toolbar disappears leaving the black toolbars.

I have tried Tools>Internet Options and going to Color under the General Tab to force Windows to use the grey background with black text. Doesn't change.

I have drilled into the registry but cannot find any traces of ASC version 2,3 or 4.

I realize that ASC "shouldn't" be changing IE settings but it is happening. These toolbars look like they may be overlays as I "think" I see a grey toolbar beneath.

I have an imaging program that allows me to "play" with my system.

I do not know what else I can do and ANY help would be appreciated :-?

Thanks

Dave

I found someone else that had this problem,

and they fixed it, but it may be a temporary fix.

I was able to restore the toolbars to their proper color by changing the theme to windows classic and then back to my modified theme. It’s working for now. You can change the theme by going to the control panel or by right clicking on the desktop => properties.

See link:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/black-toolbars-on-ie8-363409.html

My suggestion is to upgrade to Windows-7 and IE-9, and Quit trying to use Obsolite software. ;-)

OK Toppack, I didn't want to give a direct download link for an MS product such as http ://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9646673 , but yours is alright giving a link to the available page, thank you.

A quick Google search for Microsoft Fix it 50157 would reveal the page by the way. :wink:

Cheers.

Hi wsdave!

How are you uninstalling the Iobit/yahoo toolbar? This has been problematic for some resulting in a variety of issues. When I removed it successfully, I utilized the Advanced option in Revo Uninstaller Free, followed immediately by running the junk file cleaner and registry cleaner in Ccleaner (by Piriform). Others have had success using Revo as well. I later stumbled across only a couple of registry fragments and removed them as well.

Is there a reason you are still using IE8? IE9 is more secure!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Thanks for all the replies

I worked all day yesterday on this and to answer your questions this is what I did:

I tried switching to Classic view as Toppack suggested. It worked until the next reboot.

I ran the Microsoft FixIt utility 50157 (I forgot about this site) but it didn't work either.

I updated my video drivers - no change.

I didn't have toolbars installed prior to running installation program.

I uninstalled version 4 by running IObit's uninstall.

I ran BitRemover.

I looked under Program Files and deleted all IObit folders.

I looked under documents & Settings and removed all files and folders.

I ran search to look for any other traces of IObit files.

Found ntuser.dat.iobit under documents. Also found two files under c:/windows/system32/config: 34,512 KB software.iobit and 4,772 KB system.iobit. Removed all three.

Emptied the recycle bin and rebooted system.

Ran installation choosing to accept toolbar and yahoo search install.

Once ASC was installed, and without running scans, I rebooted my system. Same results - black toolbars. I have run installation declining options but the results are the same.

I'm running Windows XP SP 3. "Should" be updated because I do auto updates.

I don't believe if I have some special setting - I'm just running XP as installed. The only thing I see is that my desktop is set to display ripple background.

As far as running IE 8 I didn't know that IE 9 was out. I thought it was still beta.

I have never had this much difficulty installing an upgrade! :cry:

I may have to stay with version 4 until version 6 come out LOL :lol:

I may have to use the programs that Melvin has suggested. Maybe there is something left in the registry allthough I'm very leary about using registry cleaners.

Also will try the upgrade to IE 9.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

Hi wsdave

The total cleanup sounded good, - but in my opinion you should have declined the installation of Iobit toolbar and the Yahoo toolbar.

Perhaps you should have looked for leftovers from the two toolbars too!

It certainly is a strange and persistent problem.

Refresh/toggle all settings in the program(s)?

How is your transparency setting?

Have you tried making the performance settings "let Windows choose the best settings for your computer? Right click My computer/properties/advanced tab/performance button.

Cheers

solbjerg

I worked all day yesterday on this and to answer your questions this is what I did:

I tried switching to Classic view as Toppack suggested. It worked until the next reboot.

I ran the Microsoft FixIt utility 50157 (I forgot about this site) but it didn't work either.

I updated my video drivers - no change.

I didn't have toolbars installed prior to running installation program.

I uninstalled version 4 by running IObit's uninstall.

I ran BitRemover.

I looked under Program Files and deleted all IObit folders.

I looked under documents & Settings and removed all files and folders.

I ran search to look for any other traces of IObit files.

Found ntuser.dat.iobit under documents. Also found two files under c:/windows/system32/config: 34,512 KB software.iobit and 4,772 KB system.iobit. Removed all three.

Emptied the recycle bin and rebooted system.

Ran installation choosing to accept toolbar and yahoo search install.

Once ASC was installed, and without running scans, I rebooted my system. Same results - black toolbars. I have run installation declining options but the results are the same.

I'm running Windows XP SP 3. "Should" be updated because I do auto updates.

I don't believe if I have some special setting - I'm just running XP as installed. The only thing I see is that my desktop is set to display ripple background.

As far as running IE 8 I didn't know that IE 9 was out. I thought it was still beta.

I have never had this much difficulty installing an upgrade! :cry:

I may have to stay with version 4 until version 6 come out LOL :lol:

I may have to use the programs that Melvin has suggested. Maybe there is something left in the registry allthough I'm very leary about using registry cleaners.

Also will try the upgrade to IE 9.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

Stubborn ? YES!!

LOL yes - I tend to be stubborn :-P

After all I did go into windows 3.1 from DOS 6.1 kicking and screaming :shock:

Anyway I have run just about the cleanest install that I can think of.

I ran Revo Uninstaller to remove version 4.

I ran Ccleaner and Wise Registry Cleaner to remove all traces of IObit software prior to running install.

I just don't know what else to do. IF there is a "special" setting on my system then it is only special to this installation. I have had no other problems updating any other programs.

I see your "suggestion" to stop using obsolete software BUT I shouldn't have to pay and upgrade my OS just to upgrade one program.

Although I do like ASC and I have over a year left on the license I will not upgrade to Windows 7 simply to run this program. I will simply keep using version 4 or find another program. :sad:

As I said earlier - I go into major OS upgrades kicking and screaming. If it isn't broke - don't fix it!

Thanks Dave

Hi wsdave!

Thanks for the heads up about IE9! It never occurred to me that microsoft would stop supporting XP with its second most used software! This is undoubtedly foreboding of decreased support across the board for xp users.:sad:

Have you looked in your IE8 add-ons to see if there is anything Iobit or Yahoo related there?

Sorry my prior suggestions offered no solution!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Solbjerg You Are Da Man!!!

You hit the nail on the head so to speak!

It was the performance setting that did it. :lol:

I have no idea how or when this was changed because I usually allow Windows to control its enviroment but it was changed.

Everything is running fine after all scans :-D

I want to thank EVERYONE who replied :-)

Time to watch some football!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks all

Dave

Hi wsdave

I am glad to hear it!!!

"is it in heaven, or is it in hell,

that damned elusive performance cell" :-)

Took it's time, eh? :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I have written about that performance setting many times earlier, but perhaps not the last year or so.

It is also mentioned in Usage of IObit Products more than once I think :-)

So I see it as one of the things I routinely check if I have problems.

p.p.s. You may have to check your details when you run a cleanup in order to see if any of the cleaning operations will change your performance settings, and if it does place that item in the Ignore List!

You hit the nail on the head so to speak!

It was the performance setting that did it. :lol:

I have no idea how or when this was changed because I usually allow Windows to control its enviroment but it was changed.

Everything is running fine after all scans :-D

I want to thank EVERYONE who replied

Time to watch some football!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks all

Dave

Archived