IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Fear The Unsuspected

Mr Bean

Hi Mr Bean

A scythe was/is used for mowing or harvesting - sort of an over-sized sickle :-)

What the grim reaper carries around.

Cheers

solbjerg

grounds with a scythe to tidy up a bit

what is this? a Axe ?or similar? ,dear me you to .and So lucky not to be hurt!

and the instinct to be calm I thank you for sharing this.be leave it when I say that

This is deeply appreciated,make me feel not Just one of,perhaps now not sorry I posted the experience,and allow my emotes to fly.My weakness some times stupidness,the anger I felt this could be trust upon the innocent.any one old or young any one(victim)

unfortunately the last year or so attacks, jumped by 200% to the normal norm,people dumping there Dogs,as I just found out thy are cracking down on dangerous dogs.

and the keeping of them.The cost being the No1 reason,and the enforced housing,keeping a hunting type dog! and or large type killer breed(know for that) dog.

I was talking to A friend, Who is a ranger working for the county,he said that he shot over 12 this year alone ,Killing Live stock!! roaming in the farming areas,and saying he never seen so many until the last year when to now,thy councils,made it law. in the keeping of this sort of classed beast.saying people just dump them in the bush..to wonder. and hunger turn them into live stock killers.mostly maim them up to 4+ or more every night

sheep mostly but also cows.that are left torn apart.!

and the sad thing being Most of them No eaten! he told me.

Mr bean

ps:Please, no jokes thank you))))) not funny at all

Scythe:

Too bad, that you don't like Jokes. :roll:

I had a good Scythe joke. ;-)

BTW-the second picture is an accurate depiction of Solbjerg :lol:

He keeps a Banana in that pouch on his belt. :lol:

(Sorry about that, I just had to get in a Joke) :lol:

yes ! thank you.

we use the short handle type,around the property..for the edges of fences,

and sometimes harvesting. (hoe)

I was not sure it was the same.by name.

Mr bean.

ok,ok If you must,what is it.(.I had a good Scythe joke)

and probably sorry I asked but lets have it!

Hi Toppack

Thank you very much for the pictures.

I spent ½ an hour searching for a symbol character in unicode but didn't find one.

I usually use a strickle and not a banana - I find it works better! :-)

The scythe I use here at home is with a 60 cm blade, but during harvesting it was usually with a 90 cm blade, for more rough work I sometimes use a 40 cm blade.

I tried harvesting with the scythe back in the fifties and binding the sheaves with the stalks. Only a couple of acres.

Cheers

solbjerg

Scythe:

Too bad, that you don't like Jokes. :roll:

I had a good Scythe joke. ;-)

BTW-the second picture is an accurate depiction of Solbjerg :lol:

He keeps a Banana in that pouch on his belt. :lol:

(Sorry about that, I just had to get in a Joke) :lol:

I usually use a strickle and not a banana - I find it works better! :-)

I had to look up what a "strickle" is :shock::

I could Not find a picture of one though! :?

Although I have used one when mixing calf-feed, as a child on our Dairy, I never knew it had a name.

(I think a Banana would be more Fun):roll: :-D

Struck and heaped measurement

The volume of bulk goods is usually measured by filling a standard container, so the containers' names and the units' names are often the same, and indeed both are called "measures". Normally, a level or struck measure is assumed, with the excess being swept off level ("struck") with the measure's brim—the stick used for this is called a "strickle".

Hi Toppack

Strickle → Scythe sharpener.

1. An instrument used to level off grain or other material in a measure.

2. A foundry tool used to shape a mold in sand or loam.

3. A tool for sharpening scythes.

[Middle English strikelle, perhaps from Old English stricel, teat, strickle.]

From largely American dictionaries :-)

Today probably only scythe users know the word.

It is called "strygespån" in Danish and I think that many Danes do not know what that refers to either.

In the old days one used to hammer the blade sharp - the edge keeps sharp for a longer time.

(peening (sharpen by hammering)

Cheers

solbjerg

http://www.carl-ras.dk/gfx/imager/catalog/58508515.jpg?s=product_node

I had to look up what a "strickle" is :shock::

I could Not find a picture of one though! :?

Although I have used one when mixing calf-feed, as a child on our Dairy, I never knew it had a name.

(I think a Banana would be more Fun):roll: :-D

Hi Toppack

I speculated on the strickle being used in connection with forming mud or clay bricks and then when having dried being used as a sharpener for the scythe - the dried mud and sand being the sharpening agent.??

By the way I never wore the strickle in that position - and I think it is a small joke from the artist.

Cheers

solbjerg

Wow, there is a Lot of difference in a 'leveling-stick' and a 'blade-sharpener'! :shock:

Strange but Interesting. :!:

But now I understand why there is one pictured with the scythe user, in the old drawing.

Archived