IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Start Menu 8: suggestions, and progression

LaurenceJ

@ IObit. . .

These suggestions still apply to Start Menu 8 (now at version 1.1.0.45).

Upon installation the first thing that gets my attention is just how good it looks, including the Settings window. And in addition to its good looks it has a good feature set as well. Nice job!

Still, just like all areas of life, an improvement here or there could be made, and could prove beneficial.

Resolved! 1) Upon restarting the computer the Metro/Modern screen still momentarily flashes (showing itself) before entering the desktop.

And because I have tried several other Start Menu and Button alternatives, free and paid, and most of them bypass the Windows Metro Start screen without it ever showing at all, not even so much as a fleeting corner-of-the-eye flash, I know the coding 'magic' to do it exists. May the force be also with you. :-)

Resolved! 2a) and 2b) ("Start button bug is corrected")

Resolved! 3) Under the All Programs menu how about adding "Pin to Start Menu" ("Pin to Start" works superbly) to the context menu? It would effectively eliminate having to use any of the work-arounds to accomplish this action.

4a) Regarding the "Frequently used programs" setting, what about:

Adding another option to its drop-down selection: *Do not show*

Frequently used programs: Sort by name
                         Sort by last access time   
                         Do not show

Resolved! 4b) Adding a setting for the user to choose how many frequently used programs may show: from 0 (none) to X (max number to show)

Resolved! 5a) and 5b) (the ever taller growing start menu: by pinning 1 and 2 and 3, and more, items to it, watch it grow)

But if we had one or both options as mentioned above in number 4 regarding the Frequently used programs, then I know the potential for the growing start menu would certainly go a long way toward its resolution - at least for me. :-) (Because given a choice, I would not use the Frequently used programs list; and so pinned items would first have that white space to add to without having to grow taller.)

(An interesting solution to 4b, 5a and 5b.)

Resolved! 6) Under Settings | General Settings, to avoid confusion, what about making a change from "Left click to open Windows Start Menu" to "Left click to open Windows Metro Screen"?

For consistency sake I suggested the wording "Metro Screen" because you already use "Metro Screen" (in the setting which states, "Skip Metro Screen") to refer to the new Windows Start Screen.

Resolved! 7) As 'markjen' has mentioned in a post of his, there are a few typos found in the StartMenu8 Service Properties sheet which cry out for correction (presently spelled as "StrartMenuService"). The typos found there are under: Service name, Display name, and Description.

8) The setting Deactivate Metro Hot Corners (when enabled) prevents the user from seeing and closing any running Metro apps (usually accomplished by pointing the mouse to the upper left corner), and thus free up any resources they may be using.

* How about making it so that the user can individually Deactivate Metro Hot Corners, upper and/or lower, rather than both at once.

9) And, I suppose while I'm at it. . . what about an option to Deactivate the "Drag-to-close" hand? (Unnecessary.)

As the Bugs was fond of saying, "that's all folks" (at least all that I am aware of and presently comes to mind). But I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone say, 'oh that's all is it.' And if so, point heard and received. ;-)

And to you IObit, thank you for reading and giving consideration to all suggestions and reports submitted.

regards,

Laurence

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more item:

6) Under Settings | General Settings, to avoid confusion, what about making a change from "Left click to open Windows Start Menu" to "Left click to open Windows Metro Screen" ? {Seeing that you already use Metro Screen (the setting which states, "Skip Metro Screen") to refer to the new Windows Start Screen.}

regards,

Laurence

3) Under the All Programs menu, will "Pin to Start Menu" be added to the context menu in an forthcoming update? (I know as an awkward work-around a person can add the Programs folder shortcut to the Send to folder, and then send the wanted All Programs item to the start menu via that method.)

One more item:

6) Under Settings | General Settings, to avoid confusion, what about making a change from "Left click to open Windows Start Menu" to "Left click to open Windows Metro Screen" ? {Seeing that you already use Metro Screen (the setting which states, "Skip Metro Screen") to refer to the new Windows Start Screen.}

regards,

Laurence

Hi LaurenceJ,

3) This is already there if I didn't misunderstand you. Please see the image.

6) Changing "Left click to open Windows Start Menu" to "Hover over and left click to open Windows Start Menu" may avoid the confusion there. So your suggestion could be defined with a different action. (Is there a need for such an action since bringing the mouse to the left corner starts the Metro anyway)

Cheers.

Hi LaurenceJ,

3) This is already there if I didn't misunderstand you. Pleaase see the image.

6) Changing "Left click to open Windows Start Menu" to "Hover over and left click to open Windows Start Menu" may avoid the confusion there. So your suggestion could be defined with a different action. (Is there a need for such an action since bringing the mouse to the left corner starts the Metro anyway)

Cheers.

Hi enoskype,

Regarding item number 3, when I right mouse click on any of the program shortcuts found under the All Programs menu, the only 'Pin to' I see is "Pin to Taskbar"; there is no "Pin to Start Menu" to be found there, at least none that I can see. :-? (Of course neither can I see the image you mention in your post. :?:)

And regarding item number 6; apart from "Hover over and. . ." nothing has changed: it still mentions the Windows 'Start Menu' which, until Win8, for the most part traditionally meant the Start button and menu of the desktop environment. However when that feature in StartMenu8's Settings is enabled it opens the new Metro/Modern tile based start screen; and so my suggestion of making a change in wording to clearly indicate that, i.e. open the Metro Screen (rationale previously provided).

Regarding your parenthetical thought: in StartMenu8's Settings if one enables "Deactivate Metro Hot Corners" it also deactivates that Metro Start button in the lower left hand corner you had mentioned; perhaps that is one reason for keeping the other setting.

Enoskype, I'd like to be able to see that image you mentioned. Where is it located?

regards,

Laurence

Sorry Laurence, I have forgotten to attach, but now it is attached.

The rest is my way of using StartMenu8, so ignore what I said as I was using SmartMenu8 together with Clssic Shell.

When I close Classic Shell it behaves as you say.

Cheers.

EDIT :

NOTE: Disregard the image attached in my previous post, "Pin to Start" is not part of StartMenu8.

button does not appear in the taskbar

good night, the latest version of the starter menu has a bug, it starts, the interface jumps meter, however the button does not appear in the taskbar, tried everything without success, I returned to the beta3 version.

Hi fdjorge,

I have not experienced exactly what you have (knock on wood). But I can attest to this: occasionally (though not always) the StartMenu8 button has a delay in starting and/or showing itself; however thus far it has always showed up (even if it is sometimes {un}fashionably late).

I have also noticed that the StartMenu8 button upon starting will sometimes momentarily overlap the icon directly to its right, and then move over to the left hand corner where it rightly belongs.

Maybe (hopefully) in an upcoming update these glitches, as well as others, will be no more.

regards,

Laurence

Hi fdjorge,

Just a thought: though it ought not to be necessary, unless under StartMenu8's General Settings, the setting "Run at Windows Startup" is disabled/unchecked (or the program has been exited), I assume the StartMenu8 taskbar icon still does not show when double clicking on the StartMenu8 desktop icon.

fdjorge, by the icons on your desktop I see that you have a few uninstallers, one of them being Revo Uninstaller Pro. I am curious: have you also tried using Revo Uninstaller Pro to uninstall StartMenu8 and all traces of it which may be left behind (be it registry entries or files laying around on the hard drive), because I've found that the IObit program's uninstallers often (always?) left at least traces of their programs behind. Then reboot your computer and install the latest version of StartMenu8 once again to see what happens?

regards,

Laurence

revo is no better, not all its cracked up to be.

Interesting, because my experience with Revo, along with a few other dedicated Uninstaller Programs, mostly has been positive; whereas the uninstall capability that is included with each installable program often (too often or always) has left traces behind (abandoned files and/or registry entries which it had originally placed there).

regards,

Laurence

Same problem here: no startbutton after starting Windows. I only see the startbutton in the taskbar after clicking 1 to 3 times on the shortcut on the desktop. This was not a problem in the beta.

I have tested on a clean Windows 8 pro installation.

Regards, Mark

icon in the taskbar

Already uninstalled with revo, also with iobit unistaller, however the problem persists, the option to start windows were checked, when I try double-clicking on the desktop icon, the button appears on the taskbar, but if every time I want to turn off the pc or search any program I have to double click, it will be easier to use interface meter for that, I'll continue using the beta version 3.0 released in December, as it shows the photos attached, ta working well, despite the little bug that he has the hot corners that appears when you click on and given a right corner, until an update comes out.

Hi LaurenceJ,fdjorge and markjen,

For the issue that the StartMenu8 button does not appear in the taskbar, please kindly supply us the following details to help us look into the issue.

When there is no StartMenu8 button dispalyed at the left corner, please open your Task Manager and click Details to see whether there are StratMenu8.exe, StartMenu Services.exe, StratMenu-Hook.exe,InstallService64.exe/InstallService32.exe

We are look forward to getting your feedback.

Hello

I only see: Startmenu8 Services, and when I click on it, I see: Strartmenu8 service. There is an error in that name: Strartmenu8.

This service is running.

I don't see: StratMenu-Hook.exe, StratMenu8.exe and InstallService32/64.exe

I see more times (also in your post): the language mistake: stratmenu while it must be startmenu.

Mark

Hi Cicely,

I did as requested concerning the new demo, and the logs have been sent to you.

However, regarding your question: "When there is no StartMenu8 button dispalyed at the left corner, please open your Task Manager and click Details to see whether there are StratMenu8.exe, StartMenu Services.exe, StratMenu-Hook.exe,InstallService64.exe/InstallService32.exe" - it is still the same: only StartMenuServices.exe is listed/running on my machine.

regards,

Laurence

Task manager and new demo

In this new demo the problem still exists and in this case neither the program jumped interface meters, which was done in the other version, as the task manager only StartMenu8 services is, how it is possible to check the photo.

@ Cicely,

I should have mentioned that with the latest StartMenu8 demo, it no longer boots automatically into the desktop. Each time after restarting my computer I am now required to click on the Desktop tile in the new Metro Screen to continue to the desktop environment.

regards,

Laurence

I see that in this latest demo, the start menu no longer grows into an unwieldy size but now remains constant in its size, showing a maximum of 10 frequently used programs. Thank you! That nicely takes care of items 5a and 5b.

Regarding item 4 could we have another option added to the "Frequently used programs" drop-down box, perhaps such as : Do not show

Thanks again.

regards,

Laurence

HI Guys,

The issue that the StartMenu8 button does not appear in the taskbar has been solved with the help of LaurenceJ, fdjorge and markjen, especially LaurenceJ who did a lot to help us solve the issue. Sincerely thank you for all your guys here. And the new version will be released soon, which fixed this error.

Archived