IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Unable to undo harmful IMF registry changes

during an install of windows updates, the risk registry change popup appeared, and not paying attention, i clicked "Remember" and then blocked it.

I removed the entry from remember.ini, which presented the popup again and let me click allow. This did not, however actually unblock it, and the IMF overview stats still show that IMF is blocking it.

This is really getting on my nerves because I don't know where to go into the registry to actually undo this block manually, and these updates are critical security updates. I can't do system restore, because another program I ran after the fact removed the system restore points.

Unless this problem gets fixed, I will never use this program again, and I will recommend against it's use, because it's dangerous to be able to block things such as this, and NOT be able to undo such a harmful change. nothing by Microsoft should *ever* trigger that popup!

Edit: Windows Updates are completely screwed because of this.

Edit 2: using Advanced System Care's winfixer from the toolbox, I was able to reverse the change that IMF made. such an inconvenience that IMF wouldn't allow you to undo something it screwed up. Due to this problem, i won't be using IMF for anything other than actual scans. All realtime protections will be turned off to prevent this problem, unless I'm using it on someone else's computer, then I will uninstall after running malware scans.

Hi jasoncollege!

not paying attention, i clicked "Remember" and then blocked it.

I can't do system restore, because another program I ran after the fact removed the system restore points.

nothing by Microsoft should *ever* trigger that popup!

Perhaps its good to pay attention.:smile: And not make multiple changes (including removal of your restore points).:wink: The software is by Iobit... nothing to do with Microsoft.;-)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

PS... glad you solved the problem!! :)

If the program's popup didn't have a timer, I wouldn't have felt rushed enough to feel like i had to hurry, which is why I didn't fully pay attention.

The software might have been by iobit, but what caused it to display the popup was microsoft software (aka windows updates) that needed to make registry changes during the update process. This is why I made the comment that nothing by microsoft should ever trigger this popup.

The multiple changes you speak of included the use of several different applications used to clean a large number of viruses, spyware, adware, and other forms of malware, most of which IMF missed. I do know what I'm doing, but this realtime feature of IMF free is a new one since the last time I've had to use the program, as I don't recall there being any realtime scanners for the free version. that timer should be removed.

Hi jasoncollege24

I realise how frustrating it felt when you realised that there was a problem, however I think that if you read your posts again, you will see that human error was the decisive factor.

I am sure that Iobit will look at this issue, as it looks at all issues that affect users enjoyment of its products. It also seems that you use the products quite a lot, even on other peoples machines, so to suddenly want to thrash the product due to a human eror is a bit harsh.

I hope you will reconsider your verdict.

no that's not clarified... My desire to "trash the product" as Scannan put it, has nothing to do with the human error. It has to do with the fact that the product was not able to undo the changes caused by that error.

After changing the remember.ini file by removing the particular lines pertaining to that change, it prompted me again to allow or block the change that I blocked the first time. When I clicked allow, it still continued to block it. It was also still blocked after turning off all real time protections, and even after uninstalling IMF.

Remove the timer on the popup, and add a function that allows to actually undo harmful changes, whether those changes were made by human error or not. I had to go through a separate program to undo this harmful change. What if I had been someone who had no idea what they were doing, and this happened?

Yes I use iObit products a lot, but there are some that are poorly made, and I believe that the real time protections aspect of IMF has been poorly designed without the average user in mind.

I honestly thought I was going to have to wipe everything and reinstall windows fresh because I accidentally blocked 1 change which prevented windows update from installing anymore updates, and IMF refused to undo that change.

Hi jasoncollege24,

We all understand what you are saying, and understanding the use of IMF is not easy, that is granted.

You seem to understand the mechanics of IMF blocking/allowing, as you said that you have modified the remember.ini.

Did you check the checkbox for remember when you were allowing the registry changes of Windows Updates and does remember.ini includes anything to allow Windows Updates?

BTW, I must admit that, "My desire to trash the product" is not a friedly comment! Much stronger than to want to trash it anyway!

Cheers.

IMF is no longer installed on the computer where this incident occurred. however while it was, and I was having this problem, the answer to both your questions were yes, but despite that fact that IMF was told to allow the change that it previously blocked, it continued to block it.

I fixed that comment, put it in quotes as it was only supposed to be a repeat of what had already been said. I was half asleep when I wrote that, sorry.

I don't wish to trash it, but in order to avoid any possibility of repeating such a critical mistake, I won't be using the real time aspect of the program at all until it has a built in function to undo these types of changes without the need for an external program, and the timer on that popup is removed.

For computers that are not mine, as said before, I will use IMF for system scans, then remove the program to avoid the computer owners from making the same mistake only to blame me for it.

The only reason the mistake was made is because when I noticed the popup, I had only 5 seconds left to act on it, so I felt rushed. Don't think I should have to constantly watch my computer screen waiting for a timed popup that automatically blocks if not acted on during installs, and windows updates. I've seen in other threads where the timer is obviously disliked by many people, and yet iObit still keeps it there.

I would be nice if IMF had a feature in the GUI that showed you all of its currently active Blocks and allowed you to change one or all to "Allow". Something like this should require elevated Windows privleges.

Excellent suggestion Buddahfan.:-)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived