IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Corrupted data on Flash-sticks

Toppack

I have discovered that sometime data that has been copied to a Removable storage device, like a Flash-stick, can be corrupted,

if you do Not 'Eject' it before disconnectly the device from the computer.

When that happens the data is Unreadable the next time you plug it in.

You Must send the 'Eject' command,

by right-clicking on the Drive, in File-manager, and then click on 'Eject' in Menu.

Why this happens some time and not others I've not determined yet,

but it has something to do with the file copy procedure not totally completing, even though it appears to be complete and stopped ?

It may be because W-7 is acting like the Flash-drive is a DVD-drive, which needs to be Ejected to Close the connection ?

Note - I mention this because everyone I've talked to about this do not realize that Ejecting a Removable-drive is an Option.

Hi Toppack,

Although I am not using W7 at the moment, I am positively sure that there was an icon in the system tray for safely unconnecting a flash drive if a flash drive was connected.

Kind of a rectangular shaped icon, when clicked on it, there was a hint baloon instructing that it was safe to remove the flash drive. (much similar to XP.)

Cheers.

Hi Toppack,

Although I am not using W7 at the moment, I am positively sure that there was an icon in the system tray for safely unconnecting a flash drive if a flash drive was connected.

Kind of a rectangular shaped icon, when clicked on it, there was a hint baloon instructing that it was safe to remove the flash drive. (much similar to XP.)

Cheers.

:?: We don't have that Icon on any of our W-7 computers,

(and I don't know what it could be ?)

but there is a 'Safe to disconnect' balloon-message displayed after I click Eject.

I found that if you Shut-down the computer before unplugging the Flash-stick Also works.

That's correct too.

:?: We don't have that Icon on any of our W-7 computers,

(and I don't know what it could be ?)

That's weird, as I have seen the systray icon in many different PCs with W7s.

Cheers.

That's weird, as I have seen the systray icon in many different PCs with W7s.

Cheers.

Ah, I found it, It's the 'USB-devices & printers' Icon.

I do not have that icon pinned to taskbar, so did not know it had an Eject option in Menu.

But I will from now on,

Thank you very much. :-D

But why the device does not automaticly go into Eject-mode, after completing a file transfer, is what I can not figure out?

It seems that you should be able to just Unplug it, instead of having to click Eject first 'sometime', since you are Not really Ejecting anything. :lol:

I have a Transcend external harddrive that was driving me crazy.

Almost every time I clicked on the eject icon in the SysTray (XP) I got the message that it couldn't be ejected try again later, after dismissing the message and immediately clicking on the eject icon again it would eject normally. I think it has something to do with the Transcend Power saver feature which tells the computer the drive is still in use

Then I found USB Disk Ejector and that solved the problem, now I get instant eject

More > Options lets you choose to force programs to close etc

It also recognises SD cards if you want

USBDeview by NirSoft has handy info about your drives (serial number, last time used etc) even when they are not connected, as long as they once were of course

Right click on the drive and you can do all sorts of weird and wonderful things, but be careful :wink:

All the best, woz of oz

Since you like them Toppack,

Did you know that one of our users has produced a small program for the similar purpose.

The name is : Smart Defrag Remove USB Drive v1.0 (XP Pro/Vista)

by : © 2009 Koster Sjoftware (Freeware)

You can find it if you search in the Forum! it was given as an attachment.

Please find the Readme file as attached.

The whole program, including the uninstaller and readme file is 125 KB size!!!

Cheers.

EDIT : Here is the post. http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=25001#post25001

Thanks, but the whole point of this is that I'm trying to figure out why I 'sometime' have to 'Eject' before disconnecting the removable-drive and other times it's not needed ?

If I Must Eject, to make sure it's ready for disconnect, why is another utility Needed, if the Eject built into W-7 works?

Or are you saying that other OSs, like Vista, need the utility since they do not have the Eject option?

We never used Vista, I don't remember about XP (Way back in a Former-Life :lol:),

and don't know about W-8 but it probably has Eject built in also?

Hi All!

That would depend on the media and the firmware it contains (in this case). In the case of a portable(small) device the firmware will be contained within it so that the device can be recognized and read.(it will create its own Icon and access) Many removable devices contain this. Windows will prompt you as well as the device itself.(Unless you disable/remove them)

Some of the newer portable media devices don't do this unfortunately.(Unless you disable/remove them)

Then there is the device that is not meant to be so portable... and disconnected so frequently... such as an external HD... although in Woz's case he seems to have found a solution that is very tailored:grin:.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper

Thanks, but the whole point of this is that I'm trying to figure out why I 'sometime' have to 'Eject' before disconnecting the removable-drive and other times it's not needed ?

If I Must Eject, to make sure it's ready for disconnect, why is another utility Needed, if the Eject built into W-7 works?

Or are you saying that other OSs, like Vista, need the utility since they do not have the Eject option?

We never used Vista, I don't remember about XP (Way back in a Former-Life :lol:),

and don't know about W-8 but it probably has Eject built in also?

I think it is because \Windows will stick its fingers into the drive and leave them there for easy access... so you must instruct Windows to get out... either by the firmware the device installs or through Windows itself. If the windows fingers aren't asked to be removed and you pull it out you risk data corruption. Does Win 7 have a "readyboost" function?

The firmware I spoke of comes on the device... if thats what you mean?

I don't know about other OS's (Linux, etc) as I don't run them.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Does Win 7 have a "readyboost" function?

Yes, I think 'ReadyBoost disk cacheing' was introduced with Vista,

but I know W-7 has it.

I do not know if the Vista version had all the options and capabilities that the W-7 does, though?

So, I just need to Cut Off some "Windows-Fingers"! :lol:

@Toppack

I use ReadyBoost caching on a 12gig Thumbdrive and Windows recommended I allocate 3gigs for the cach.Note that if the Thumbdrive falls over there will be no problems as Windows mirrors it and picks up the slack. I'm very happy with it actually. I just makes things more accessible should the system needs it. :smile:

-Cowboy

but I know W-7 has it.

I do not know if the Vista version had all the options and capabilities that the W-7 does, though?

but I know W-7 has it.

Thank you for that confirmation cowboy!:wink:

Yes... if you can figure out which ones to cut off (readyboost is not the only windows finger)... otherwise just make sure you eject the drive!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I checked and I had disabled 'ReadyBoost disk cacheing' along time ago,

since I do not need any more system cacheing space in these systems.

So the corrupted data problem is not related to ReadyBoost.

I'm starting to think it is something to do with the sequence of when and how the File-Manager is shut down, that controls if Eject is needed or not.

Maybe someday I'll experiment with that, but for now it looks like the Extremely-Labor-Intensive 'Eject' is Required. :roll: :lol:

Archived