IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

possible to enlarge ?

squallerequin

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

In case the word "Close▼" which is seen in the menu in English was written

"Computer closing options ▼" I suppose there would be more room for choosing an equivalent meaning in other languages. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Cheers

solbjerg

What about Acronyms and Abbreviations?

Example: CCO or 'Comp Clos Op' for 'Computer closing options'?

Don't other languages use A & As ?

Hi Toppack

I agree!

My original point was rather that the text doesn't have to be translated verbatim it just has to convey the correct understanding of the concept chosen, for example Junk files (10 spaces) in Danish could be translated (Ubrugelige/Ødelagte og unødvendige filer) (40 spaces) but I chose to call them (Skrot filer) (11 spaces) Skrot is very akin to scrap (as in a scrapped car) same root word I suppose.

Now I'll "close up" - shut up I mean :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Note - I do realize that we use Too Many Acronyms here in the USA. :lol:

@ Solbjerg

For the French translation, I Use the same one as the original Start menu.

However, changing these "translations" only to make them fit in the StartMenu8 window is not this against-productive?

Did this small program not just exist to help people who don't want to change how they use Windows ? :)

Hi Zlandicae

Was the French word used for Start the word Lancer? (wasn't there room for that?)

But I agree that if it is an easy task for the programmers to enlarge the box/button used for the command - they should do it.

My point was rather that the original translator may not have chosen the best translation.

For example I saw in the Danish translation of Windows 7 that they had apparently used another translator for that who had chosen different words for some of the concepts - in later versions of Win 7 they had then changed the translation back into what had been used before in previous versions.

They probably got feedback critizising those new translations in Win 7.

So for recognition purposes it may be best to keep the original translation as you suggests.

Cheers

solbjerg

@ Solbjerg

For the French translation, I Use the same one as the original Start menu.

However, changing these "translations" only to make them fit in the StartMenu8 window is not this against-productive?

Did this small program not just exist to help people who don't want to change how they use Windows ? :)

In fact, typically, when you want to translate "Start", you can do it by :

Lancer

Exécuter

Démarrer

However, it should understandd that these three French words have subtly different meaning.

Currently, the correct translation for start is "Démarrer", especially as it is the menu name entered in plain text on Windows XP :).

Hi Zlandicae

Thank you!

I thought of a possible alternative "initier or maybe initié"

To my mind it would also convey the meaning

Start I think is universally understood too, right? :-)

In one example from the Dutch translation I think that just the use of & would have been sufficient to create room for all the translation in one of the lines in the start menu.

To my mind the translation just has to convey the right concept of the meaning and to be readily understood by the user.

Sometimes I feel that an icon would suffice :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

In fact, typically, when you want to translate "Start", you can do it by :

Lancer

Exécuter

Démarrer

However, it should understandd that these three French words have subtly different meaning.

Currently, the correct translation for start is "Démarrer", especially as it is the menu name entered in plain text on Windows XP :).

Archived