IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC+Antivirus and Exel.

Hi pladecalvo

Please check your settings - you already left a post about essentially the same problem, which I also responded to.

Cheers

solbjerg

Whenever ASC + Antivus does a routine clean, I have to use the 'Office' installation disk in order to get Exel working.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem appears to be the 'Empty Folder Scanner'. Whenever I run this and then try to use Exel, I'm told that 'Office is being configured'.

Yet another IOBit gem. Gives you a tool to 'identify and remove empty folders' and then it removes folders that are clearly not empty! Oh boy!!!!:roll:

Hi pladecalvo

Actually the toolbox application "Empty folder scanner" does not remove any folders unless you yourself select them for removal.

But that said I do agree that there should be a further explanation than just the line telling us that some system file folders and other essential folders (?) will not be removed (even though they may have been selected), - that explanation I also find insufficient since many applications need a folder for log files and such - depending upon the settings the user has chosen.

As a general warning I will say that the Toolbox is a tool for those that know what they are doing and are not to be used indiscriminately as a cleanup/deletion tool. It is an extra service provided by IObit to assist users that have specific purposes in mind and know what they want to achieve.. I would also rather that they called it a Finder.

Deleting empty folders - well I mostly use it if I have uninstalled some programs and then look for leftover folders, I never delete a folder just because it is empty if I do not know what function it may have,

It will not give me any increase in available space since it is empty.

This do call for a little bit of investigation on my part, but if I at that moment yields to my anal fixation for cleaning - I will do it.

( If the only thing I know about a car is that it can take me from point A to point B, but that I do not know how to drive - chances are that I will almost certainly not arrive at point B and will have caused all kinds of havoc on my way) :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

The problem appears to be the 'Empty Folder Scanner'. Whenever I run this and then try to use Exel, I'm told that 'Office is being configured'.

Yet another IOBit gem. Gives you a tool to 'identify and remove empty folders' and then it removes folders that are clearly not empty! Oh boy!!!!:roll:

Actually the toolbox application "Empty folder scanner" does not remove any folders unless you yourself select them for removal.
I know but when it has scanned for and identified the empty folders and presented the list of empty folders, an idiot like me assumes that the folders it presents are actually safe to delete...they are supposed to be 'EMPTY' after all!

As a general warning I will say that the Toolbox is a tool for those that know what they are doing and are not to be used indiscriminately as a cleanup/deletion tool. It is an extra service provided by IObit to assist users that have specific purposes in mind and know what they want to achieve..
So basically, I would have been better to have spent the money I paid for ASC down the pub and just stuck with the clean-up tools that come with Windows - which probably do as good a job as a bog-standard ASC scan does.

I never delete a folder just because it is empty if I do not know what function it may have,...
Surely an 'empty' folder doesn't have a function does it?

( If the only thing I know about a car is that it can take me from point A to point B, but that I do not know how to drive - chances are that I will almost certainly not arrive at point B and will have caused all kinds of havoc on my way) :-)

Fair enough! Then before taking someone's money, perhaps IOBit should say should something like 'Please be advised that ASC requires a reasonably high level of computer knowledge. If you do not have this knowledge then the Windows Clean-up will serve you just as well'.

:roll:

Fair enough! Then before taking someone's money, perhaps IOBit should say should something like 'Please be advised that ASC requires a reasonably high level of computer knowledge. If you do not have this knowledge then the Windows Clean-up will serve you just as well'.

:roll:

Please Note that ASC supplies various options within its product: SimplifiedMode/Expert Mode/Toolbox.

By doing this they try to cater for all levels of user. The Toolbox is what it says...a Toolbox. Usually the people who use a Toolbox are those people who are familiar with using tools... but there will always be people who possess tools but do not have the knowledge to use them. There is however nothing stopping those people from learnng how to use the tools.

This is where the Forum helps, by providing the user with a place to ask questions regarding the various features and use of tools, thereby learnig in the process how to use the tools.

Some Programs create empty folders, as a place to store dynamic data while the Program is running. Once the Program is closed, it clears out the folder to make it ready for next time and to prevent the build up of junk. This is why ASC provides the ability to look at details before you perform any cleaning/repair action....so the user can decide which files to remove. No software can make this decision for you as every machine is unique.

Hi pladecalvo

"Originally Posted by pladecalvo

Fair enough! Then before taking someone's money, perhaps IOBit should say should something like 'Please be advised that ASC requires a reasonably high level of computer knowledge. If you do not have this knowledge then the Windows Clean-up will serve you just as well'."

That on the other hand isn't quite fair.

The tool box also comes with the free version.

We (that is my brothers and sisters an I) gave my mother a computer when she was in her eighties - she never learned to go much past the start button, because she had trouble hitting the right command to press.

We often had to drive to her house to help her sort out what the problem was - it was usually quite trivial - this was before I had a computer myself, but by some trial and error I could help her even so, - if I used my head a little bit and if I acted a bit prudently..

If I didn't know what to do, I called my brother or sister :-)

I did not know about internet connections and forums at that time. :-)

I do hope that IObit keeps the Tool box available!!

(Even with ample warnings I am afraid that some users won't read them and get into trouble whatever they do unless they take it out of the program, - God forbid) :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. You could easily get into trouble using Windows clean up if you do not know what you are doing.

Archived