IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Smart Defrag 2.6 and SSD

LesBater

I resently installed an SSD (Drive C) and Smart Defrag 2.6 correctly indentified it as an SSD and highlighted out, but unchecked the other 3 HDD's. If you check each of them or use the Volume check box you can then defrag the HDD's. The issue is that it does not save this setting. The next time you launch Smart Defrag 2.6 you have to check the appropriate HDD drives or the volume check box again.

There needs to be an option in the setting that allows you to EXCLUDE Solid State Drives (SSD) or save the checked box(s) for the normal HDD(s) so that you do not have to redue each time you launch Smart Defrag.

The other thing I noticed is the SSD shows up if you were to use the Scheduled defrag option. This I do not understand. If you can correctly indentify the SSD, why would it show up or if you are going to show it, it should be highlighted out, so that you can not schedule it.

Smart Defrag 2.6 and SSD

I clearly understand that you do not need to defrag SSD's. The issue I have is why I have to check the HDD's everytime I launch Smart Defrag. I have tried other Defrag software and they have an option to NOT display SSD's and the checked HDD's are saved and you do not have to check them everytime you launch the program.

The other issue is if you know that the disk is SSD, why does it show up in the Scheduled option and you can check it. You can not check it if you run defrag manually.

There seems to be an issue with the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

There seems to be an issue with the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

Yes, I agree,

Sorry, I do not have any SSDs presently in our computers

or I would test it here.

I think IObit needs to look into this though?

I kinda doubt that Smart-defrag has been completely updated to handle different SSD & HD configurations ???

Hi LesBater,

Smart Defrag will automaticially recognize SSD and will not defrag it.

Regarding the other issue, please kindly note that SD do save which drive you have select to defrag. Would you please make a screenshot of this issue so that we can check it clearly?

Guide for taking screenshot: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

Thanks.

Here is a JPG of the initial screen after Smart Defrag 2.6 is launched. Then a JPG after HDD have a check in the box and defragmented. The final JPG is after SD is closed down and relaunched. Please note that none of the HDD's are checked even though they were checked the last time so that I could defrag E, F and G drives. You have to manually check each HDD or use the volume box each time SD is launched.

I am not the only one having this issue. My brother is having the same problem, since he installed an Intel SSD. They are different models mine being a 330 and his is a 520.

I hope that this issue can be corrected as soon as possible. We are both running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with all service packs and updates applied.

Thanks,

Les

Hi LesBater

Is it at all possible to use the automatic defrag on such a setup?

If the planned defrag is set up to defrag not C - but the other drives - does it work then?

Actually I think it a bit safer to let the program start afresh each time, then one won't have to untick the drives that should not be defragged and only tick the one that should?

Cheers

solbjerg

Here is a JPG of the initial screen after Smart Defrag 2.6 is launched. Then a JPG after HDD have a check in the box and defragmented. The final JPG is after SD is closed down and relaunched. Please note that none of the HDD's are checked even though they were checked the last time so that I could defrag E, F and G drives. You have to manually check each HDD or use the volume box each time SD is launched.

I am not the only one having this issue. My brother is having the same problem, since he installed an Intel SSD. They are different models mine being a 330 and his is a 520.

I hope that this issue can be corrected as soon as possible. We are both running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with all service packs and updates applied.

Thanks,

Les

Smart Defrag 2.6 with SSD/HDD configuration

I have tried setting the Automatic Defrag option to "Yes" but it still does not put a check mark in any of the HDD's.

There appears to be an issue with SD if it finds an SSD as drive "C" then the logic falls through and does not save the checked HDD's. I have SD running on 4 other PC's and they all have just HDD's and everything works great.

Like I said before, I have tried other defraggers and they have an option to not display Solid State Drives and they remember the setting of all other HDD's. I would rather use SD, but this is not what I expected.

Hi LesBater,

Please open Smart Defrag, and tick the checkboxes of E, F, G.

Open config.ini file @:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\IObit\Smart Defrag 2

After ticking the checkboxes of the 3 Volumes (E, F, G), what is seen @:

[setting]

LastSelectedVolumes=

If the Letters of 3 Volumes are not there, please fill in exactly as below in red and save config.ini file.

[setting]

LastSelectedVolumes=E: ;F: ;G: ;

See if the checkboxes are kept ticked after closing and restarting Smart Defrag2.

You have to have your Files/Folders Unhidden in Folder Options to be able to see the Smart Defrag 2 folder and config.ini file there.

Cheers.

I followed your instructions to the letter. The original entry in the config.ini file did not contain the drive letters under LastSelectedVolumes. I added them and then saved the config.ini file. Relaunched SD and still NO check marks by any of the three HD's. It should be noted that I am running under a Standard User account and have to enter the Admin password everytime I launch SD.

So the config.ini file was found under:

C:\Users\Admin Account Name\AppData\Roaming\IOBit\Smart Defrag 2

Even after saving the config.ini file and confirming that the entries were saved, if I run SD without checking the individual HD or using the volume box and then go back to the config.ini file, the entry LastSelectedVolumes= does not contain the 3 drive letters. If you manually check the individual HD or use the volume box and then go back to the config.ini file the entry LastSelectedVolumes=E:;F:;G:; is there but it will not mark the HD boxes the next time you launch SD. This is clearly an issue in the SD application that needs to be addressed.

I have NO idea as to what is going on.

OK, LesBater,

I have never thought you were not using Admistrator rights!?!?!?

The rights of a User issue for Smart Defrag has been discussed many times in the Forum and my perception was automatical as you are user of the Forum for a while.

Your problem is a permission issue!

Smart Defrag needs Administrator rights by design.

What is your OS? Try to run Smart Defrag as an Administrator.

Also, I would suggest you to update your User Control Panel in the Forum to include the OS, security softwares and other details.

Thank you and cheers.

I do give SD administrator rights, when the Window for the Administrator pops up and I enter the administrator password prior to SD being launched. It works this way with ALL other applications needing Administrator rights and did with SD until I installed an SSD as my boot drive.

The OS is Windows7 Ultimate with all service packs and updates applied to include todays patch Tuesday updates.

It works this way on the other 4 PC's also running Windows7 Ultimate, all running as Standard Users, but they do not have an SSD only HDD's and it remembers the HDD's checked.

In fact it works this way with IOBits Advanced SystemCare 6 and it runs just fine. So, what is the issue with running as a Standard User (Recommended) and then having to esculate to Administrator by having to enter the Administrator password before the application will launch.

Smart Defrag 2.6 with SSD and HDD's

I am having the same issue with Smart Defrag 2.6. After installing an SSD as my boot drive, Smart Defrag NO LONGER will remember the check marks for the HDD's I have for storage. I either have to check the HDD's manually or the "Volume" box everytime I want to run Smart Defrag 2.6

It does recognize the SSD, so that it will not be defragged.

This is NOT an issue with my other PC's that only have HDD's installed.

I am running Windows7 Ultimate x64 with all service packs and updates applied.

The problem appears to be in the logic of the application, if it detects an SSD it does not look to the config.ini properly in the LastSelectedVolumes= entry. Even if you manually add the proper entries and save the config.ini file, it will clear them when the config.ini is updated. It NEVER remembers the check marks in the boxes for any of the HDD's.

hi LesBater

Was this done prior or after doing a manual defrag of your other disks?

Or did you just change it in the LastSelectedVilumes entry?

While the program was still open?

Then I too think that there must be a bug

LastSelectedVolumes= entry.

"Even if you manually add the proper entries and save the config.ini file, it will clear them when the config.ini is updated. It NEVER remembers the check marks in the boxes for any of the HDD's."

Cheers

solbjerg

I am having the same issue with Smart Defrag 2.6. After installing an SSD as my boot drive, Smart Defrag NO LONGER will remember the check marks for the HDD's I have for storage. I either have to check the HDD's manually or the "Volume" box everytime I want to run Smart Defrag 2.6

It does recognize the SSD, so that it will not be defragged.

This is NOT an issue with my other PC's that only have HDD's installed.

I am running Windows7 Ultimate x64 with all service packs and updates applied.

The problem appears to be in the logic of the application, if it detects an SSD it does not look to the config.ini properly in the LastSelectedVolumes= entry. Even if you manually add the proper entries and save the config.ini file, it will clear them when the config.ini is updated. It NEVER remembers the check marks in the boxes for any of the HDD's.

• 2 weeks later...
It appears that the problem may only be when the SSD is the C: (boot-drive)

and HDs are also installed ?

Note - This is a very common configuration, since a SSD makes a great boot-drive and HDs are used for storage

Toppack,

I finally got SD 2.6 to work and it saves the check marks in the HDD boxes. I had to uninstall SD 2.6, making sure I deleted the sub-directory to Smart Defrag 2 under both the Programs (x86)\ iobit and Users\user name\app data\roaming\iobit directories. Before re-installing Smart Defrag 2.6 I shut the PC down and then powered it back on and logged in. It properly marked the "C" drive as an SSD and will not defrag as it does not reguire it.

I will run it for a couple of days to make sure that everything is still OK.

Thanks for the feedback!

This is good Info, for others, that encounter the same problem.

Toppack,

I must admit open mouth, insert foot.

I forgot that the settings were set to minimize on program closing and load at startup. As soon as I unchecked these, as I normally do, since I manually run Smart Defrag, it NO LONGER saves the check marks for the HDD's when you close the program down and then start it back up. It works fine with just plain old HDD's on the other 4 PC's I have.

Archived