IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

File shredder progress bug

halxion

I remember a couple versions ago (ASC 3 iirc) there was a serious bug where the shredder would freeze as it near completion. [yay, thank you devs for fixing it]

But I see that there is a bug having to do with the progress bar. :|

At the end of a full cycle it should reach 100% and not go over 1.0.

I am shredding a 30GB file (huge I know) using the DoD method, so it is taking a considerable amount of time.

Edit: not both bars have gone over 100. x.x

Hi halxion,

Please kindly follow the instructions below to solve the problem:

1.Download Suc_13FileShredder.zip from:

http://wikisend.com/download/124986/Suc13_FileShredder.zip

2.Extract the download file and put it into the installation directory to replace the old one(To open the installation directory, please right click on ASC’s icon on the desktop and select Open file location.).

3.Run ASC and see how it works.

If the issue still exits, please send the Suc13_FileShredder.log in the installation folder to us.

Thank you in advance and your kindly cooperation will be highly appreciated.

Hi halxion!

I remember a couple versions ago (ASC 3 iirc) there was a serious bug where the shredder would freeze as it near completion. [yay, thank you devs for fixing it]

But I see that there is a bug having to do with the progress bar. :|

At the end of a full cycle it should reach 100% and not go over 1.0.

I am shredding a 30GB file (huge I know) using the DoD method, so it is taking a considerable amount of time.

Edit: not both bars have gone over 100. x.x

You do realize that the only true method of secure deletion is to take the hard drive out of the machine and pulverize it with a sledge hammer?:mrgreen:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

You do realize that the only true method of secure deletion is to take the hard drive out of the machine and pulverize it with a sledge hammer?:mrgreen:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Yes sir or ma'am. I am aware of that fact, word for word if you can believe it.

The reason is that I am an obsessive freak and tend to shred even the most unimportant things. In this case I was going to install the newer version of Ubuntu on a VM and I was shredding the old .vhd file. To shred a file I would, in the past, normally just run the shredder and click next > next (as in older versions of ASC shredder pre-configured to quick delete) - however I forgot that in this version it is pre-configured on the DoD5220.22-m standard by default. : |

Hi halxion,

Please kindly follow the instructions below to solve the problem:

1.Download Suc_13FileShredder.zip from:

http://wikisend.com/download/124986/Suc13_FileShredder.zip

2.Extract the download file and put it into the installation directory to replace the old one(To open the installation directory, please right click on ASC’s icon on the desktop and select Open file location.).

3.Run ASC and see how it works.

If the issue still exits, please send the Suc13_FileShredder.log in the installation folder to us.

Thank you in advance and your kindly cooperation will be highly appreciated.

Hmm. I did as instructed. I downloaded the archive, extracted it, and tried to run it (both normally and as administrator) and I got the same error: "The program can't start because rtl120.bpl is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." I re-dl'ed it and repeated the process and got the same result. : |

Also, to update on the file being shredded, I stopped the process at around 115% on the current progress and well over 1500% on the total progress bar.

I've never had that problem before, but I suspect that it is simply a mathematical programming error that occurs when shredding huge files, as I've never had any problems shredding files at around ~100-200mb at a time. I just wanted to bring it to you guy's attention.

Hi Halxion

In order to try to get a complete program installed (rtl120.bpl is missing you say) I think the time honoured method of a "Clean Install" should be tried. (link to guide in my signature)

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes sir or ma'am. I am aware of that fact, word for word if you can believe it.

The reason is that I am an obsessive freak and tend to shred even the most unimportant things. In this case I was going to install the newer version of Ubuntu on a VM and I was shredding the old .vhd file. To shred a file I would, in the past, normally just run the shredder and click next > next (as in older versions of ASC shredder pre-configured to quick delete) - however I forgot that in this version it is pre-configured on the DoD5220.22-m standard by default. : |

Hmm. I did as instructed. I downloaded the archive, extracted it, and tried to run it (both normally and as administrator) and I got the same error: "The program can't start because rtl120.bpl is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." I re-dl'ed it and repeated the process and got the same result. : |

Also, to update on the file being shredded, I stopped the process at around 115% on the current progress and well over 1500% on the total progress bar.

I've never had that problem before, but I suspect that it is simply a mathematical programming error that occurs when shredding huge files, as I've never had any problems shredding files at around ~100-200mb at a time. I just wanted to bring it to you guy's attention.

Hi halxion!

Please see this post concernig the runtime library 120 bpl.

"The program can't start because rtl120.bpl is missing from your computer.
Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

BTW: Its not Sir or Maam... only dude.., or Mel, or you there, or "hey.. I'm talkin' to you!" ...

I am male... thank you for your political correctness!

Hi halxion,

We guess the reason for the rtl120.bpl missing problem is that you did not put Suc_13FileShredder.exe into the installation directory of ASC v6 to replace the old one. :mrgreen:

Please do it again to see how it works.

Thanks so much for your time!

I see, ty Mel & Cicely. I was ready to rage quit when the clean install wasn't working.

I accidentally misinterpreted the instructions you posted earlier :U - but now I have it working.

After I put Suc_13FileShredder.exe into the installation directory and ran it as administrator, I created a new .vhd (20GB instead of 30 for the sake of briefness) to replicate the same conditions as the first instance. Lastly I restarted my computer.

After a few hours, the total progress bar exceeded 100% (reached 102%) and the current progress was stuck at 2%. I then decided to stop the process.

:facepalm: forgot to take screenshot of the file shredder :U

This is the log. I had to compress it because the .log file is over 16mb

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Replace the physical disk or disks in the hard drive and the controller chip. The pulverize the removed parts. No need to pulverize the whole thing:idea:

Archived