IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Another registry defrag issue

gaaralol101

I've been using the same computer for about 4 years or so, and I've never run a registry defrag before. I have been keeping the pc healthy with normal defrag's and disk cleanups however.

When I ran the registry defrag, it seemed to find quite a lot of things to repair. So I restarted the computer, and let it do its thing. However my computer wasn't able to turn back on. Long story short, I was able to go in safe mode and back up my data, but I had to reinstall my OS. On the positive side, it gave me a reason to ditch that junk-heap they call vista and install windows 7.

As frustrating as that was, I still do like ASC. I did notice a performance increase as I was completing the tasks, one by one. (I saved the registry defrag till last). So my main question is: Is it safe to run a registry defrag again? Should I even bother? Is the registry defrag faulty? I've noticed a few other users have had the same problem with the registry defrag, with problems arising so I'm kind of hesitant about trying it again.

Hi gaaralol101

Welcome

Sorry to hear you had a problem. I am unsure what you actually did as your statement...

"When I ran the registry defrag, it seemed to find quite a lot of things to repair. So I restarted the computer, and let it do its thing."....is a bit confusing.

When the registry defrag found items to repair...did you repair them??? and then restart your pc??..or did you immediately restart your pc without doing the repair first??

I also strongly suggest that you disable Deep Clean in your registry fix settings, if it is enabled, asit is unnecessary for normal operation.

There is no reason why you cannot run registry Defrag again. It should find very few issues to repair now following your new install of windows 7.

Scannan,

Registry-defrag 'Sometimes' displays a message that it will be repaired at next Boot-up, when it finds errors.

It then runs at DOS level before Windows starts.

But other times it does Not. I don't know why that is, unless it is determined by what the errors are?

(I forgot about that also)

Is it safe to run a registry defrag again? Should I even bother? Is the registry defrag faulty?

We have used Registry-defrag on Many computers with No problems,

but all have been W-7 OS and we still use version 5.4 of ASC,

so I don't know about other OSs or ASC-6.

Registry-defrag does not need to be run very often,

but with a computer that has been well-used and not defraged, it should be run.

Scannan,

Registry-defrag 'Sometimes' displays a message that it will be repaired at next Boot-up, when it finds errors.

It then runs at DOS level before Windows starts.

But other times it does Not. I don't know why that is, unless it is determined by what the errors are?

(I forgot about that also)

Thank you Toppack.

That is interesting. I have never had that message, but I imagine you are correct in that it depends on the "error". It is probably for items associated with system files or dynamic files which cannot be moved while the system is running. They are not "errors" as such, as it is a defrag of the registry and is simply making the registry entries contiguous. Therefore it should not be capable of causing issues after a restart.

I rarely use Registry Defrag as I believe there is little to be gained by doing it. I am also suspicious as to whether having Deep Clean enabled may be the cause of the issue. The Deep Clean scan may be involved in determining the fragmentation of the registry and as it burrows very deeply it may be responsible for the issue. I wonder if it is only those users who have Deep Clean enabled, who experience Registry Defrag problems. Like you I have never had a problem with it.

Hi everyone, thank you for the quick responses.

Scannan, sorry about that first part. By that statement I meant that I let the registry defrag finish finding the errors, and then it said that some items will be repaired the next time the computer boots up. That's when I restarted the computer.

Perhaps Deep Clean should be disabled by default? I still love the product ASC, I just probably won't run the registry defrag anytime soon.

Thanks again!

gaaralol101

No apology necessary. I never received that particular message, so I have also learned something new.

As for using the Registry Defrag,,, I do not think you will have another problem if you do. Personally, I do not see any advantage in running it on a regular basis. I have only ever run it when having performed the other clean and optimise functions, I felt that my system was not 100%. This has only happened twice in two years.

Hi Scannan and gaaralol101.

I agree with Scannan on this:

I rarely use Registry Defrag as I believe there is little to be gained by doing it.
The size of your registry is relatively miniscule but it is very important... why would you risk damaging it by unnecessary movement? It won't speed up your machine... or improve performance otherwise. It is so small that your system will quickly access it (since your BIOS demands it)!:smile: There are MANY other more prevalent factors determining your system performance!

This is an aspect of what I believe to be some kind of "cleanliness and speed obsession" fueled out of fear. This is not meant as direct accusation (I am not stating this) gaaralol101, but only as an advisement to weigh the risks versus the merits!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived