IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

smart defrag shows nothing in each drive (Solved)

tombar

I've used Smart Defrag a lot, but now have a problem where I open it and eventually manage to check a box for a drive, but it shows no files on any drive. Also does things slowly, like box checking. Have uninstalled and reinstalled several times with no change. ideas?

Hi tombar

Interesting word bogstandard - do you go with the interpretation loo-standard?

When something seems to work badly, the first thing to try in my opinion is to do a Clean Install (concept explained in the link in my signature)

Cheers

solbjerg

I've used Smart Defrag a lot, but now have a problem where I open it and eventually manage to check a box for a drive, but it shows no files on any drive. Also does things slowly, like box checking. Have uninstalled and reinstalled several times with no change. ideas?

Thanks for the reply, solbjerg,

You've learned something today about bogstandard - it's a bogstandard term in the UK.

Now tried the Clean Install faithfully following every step in your concept, both without and with a restart and still have the same weird problem on installation

Hi tombar

yes - I thank you for bringing that word to my attention :-)

How are the settings in config.ini located in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\IObit\Smart Defrag 2

If you could provide a screenshot or two of your problem it would be helpful, I think.

Thanks

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. A fresh download of the install file might be useful - we have seen a few instances of "bad" install files.

Thanks for the reply, solbjerg,

You've learned something today about bogstandard - it's a bogstandard term in the UK.

Now tried the Clean Install faithfully following every step in your concept, both without and with a restart and still have the same weird problem on installation

Welcome to the forum :smile:

OS + Computer Details:

WinXP Home, SP3, Avast, Malwarebyte, Superantispyware

Sometimes security software can slow down other software as it checks all the functions the software is performing.

Try opening Task Manager and then launch IObit Smart Defrag.

Watch your security software in Task Manager, it is normal that there will be some increase in CPU activity but if there is a big jump and/or it happens for a long time you could try adding IObit Smart Defrag as a 'Safe' software (or whatever your security software calls it) if that's possible

If you want a comparison, launch some other software that performs ok and watch Task Manager to see what your security software does

All the best, woz of oz

Hi tombar

yes - I thank you for bringing that word to my attention :-)

How are the settings in config.ini located in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\IObit\Smart Defrag 2

If you could provide a screenshot or two of your problem it would be helpful, I think.

Thanks

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. A fresh download of the install file might be useful - we have seen a few instances of "bad" install files.

Here is config.ini:

[setting]

Theme=0

Language=English

EnableBoottime=0

BoottimeDefragVolumes=

MaxLogFileCount=5

MaxSize=0

MonitorIndex=0

WindowLeft=265

WindowTop=220

WindowWidth=750

WindowHeight=555

LastSelectedVolumes=

EnableAutoDefrag=1

AutoDefragVolumes=C:;

LastAutoDefrag=41350.3304530093

[LastAutoDefrag]

C=41350.3304530093

[AutoDefragStatistics]

17/03/2013=300

Screenshot is attached (I think - I'm new to this forum). As you can see, all drives are selected and Defrag and Analyze lit up, but no files show.

Welcome to the forum :smile:

OS + Computer Details:

WinXP Home, SP3, Avast, Malwarebyte, Superantispyware

Sometimes security software can slow down other software as it checks all the functions the software is performing.

Try opening Task Manager and then launch IObit Smart Defrag.

Watch your security software in Task Manager, it is normal that there will be some increase in CPU activity but if there is a big jump and/or it happens for a long time you could try adding IObit Smart Defrag as a 'Safe' software (or whatever your security software calls it) if that's possible

If you want a comparison, launch some other software that performs ok and watch Task Manager to see what your security software does

All the best, woz of oz

Thanks for the reply. I tried with Avast Antivirus turned off (it's set to scan programmes on execution), but that made no difference and it made no difference if I set it not to scan files on execution. The odd thing is the Avast icon is supposed to spin when it scan the file on execution and does for anything else I start up, but not SD. I can also see which files are scanned by Avast and all the applications appear as scanned, but SD isn't so presumably doesn't get this far, even though it displays on the screen

.....Screenshot is attached (I think - I'm new to this forum)....

For instructions on how to attach a screenshot see Screenshots and Attachments in the Forum in the thread USAGE of IOBIT PRODUCTS

...As you can see, all drives are selected and Defrag and Analyze lit up, but no files show.

What happens when you click on Analyze ?

Without a screenshot I'm not sure what you mean but here are screenshots of IObit Smart Defrag on my Netbook.

The first is what Smart Defrag looks like when I launch it and the second is what it looks like after it has Analyzed

IObit Smart Defrag at launch

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11445&stc=1&d=1363536677

IObit Smart Defrag after Analyze

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11446&stc=1&d=1363536677

If I then click on the State tab (on the left) it will show the state of the drive with color boxes

All the best, woz of oz

My screenshot (hopefully attached) looks like yours, but clicking on Analyze doesn't do anything. Also, I can't deselect a drive by clicking on it - if I click on it, then close the programme and open it again, it is deselected

Hi Tombar

According to your config.ini it does not look like you have selected which volumes to defrag manually.

In autodefrag you have selected volume C

And have a record of it having run 17-03-2013

The record of the last selected volume is empty, which seems to imply that you have never run a manual defrag?

Your config.ini only holds 20 lines

Mine holds 54 lines

Could that be because you have only used the automatic defrag once?

Have you looked at and chosen the settings you want? (button in the top line)

To find out how to attach a screenshot please read Usage of IObit Products

Cheers

solbjerg

Here is config.ini:

[setting]

Theme=0

Language=English

EnableBoottime=0

BoottimeDefragVolumes=

MaxLogFileCount=5

MaxSize=0

MonitorIndex=0

WindowLeft=265

WindowTop=220

WindowWidth=750

WindowHeight=555

LastSelectedVolumes=

EnableAutoDefrag=1

LastAutoDefrag=41350.3304530093

[LastAutoDefrag]

C=41350.3304530093

[AutoDefragStatistics]

17/03/2013=300

Screenshot is attached (I think - I'm new to this forum). As you can see, all drives are selected and Defrag and Analyze lit up, but no files show.

bulkstandard = c

Hi Tombar.

you currently have 3 drives marked for defrag, could you just try c, and see if it works.

on another note you have 3 nonstandard icons, did they change from normal when you first noticed this problem, sky hmrc another

Roy

Solbjerg,

I've never run any defrag, auto or manual, as nothing works. Last defrag I did of any sort was in the Disk Defragment part of the Scan part of AdvancedSystemCare a few days ago, which only does the C drive. I enclose the config.ini file as it is now:

[setting]

Theme=0

Language=English

EnableBoottime=0

BoottimeDefragVolumes=

MaxLogFileCount=5

MaxSize=0

MonitorIndex=0

WindowLeft=312

WindowTop=85

WindowWidth=750

WindowHeight=555

LastSelectedVolumes=C:;

EnableAutoDefrag=1

LastAutoDefrag=41350.6337952083

CloseMinimize=0

StartWithWindows=0

EnableTrayPrompt=0

StopWhenBattary=1

SilentDefrag=1

ShowRemovableDrive=1

EnableExclude=0

ExcludeSize=1024

Transparency=255

EnableCpuLimit=0

CpuLimitValue=60

EnableAutoIdleTime=0

AutoIdleTime=5

EnableSchedule=0

DefragType=0

ScheduleDefragVolumes=

UseColorChallengeMap=0

DefragRate=0.01

[LastAutoDefrag]

C=41350.6337952083

[AutoDefragStatistics]

17/03/2013=371

[interface]

color[0]=12825516

color[1]=2826783

color[2]=2722507

color[3]=8735248

color[4]=9451634

color[5]=2647813

color[6]=2039691

color[7]=2722507

color[8]=13819168

I've uninstalled it and installed it so many times that, now, I don't always chose to change the Settings till I see if it does anything at all.

Roy,

I've tried it many times with just the C drive selected and have just tried it again (as I said, I have to "click" the check on E and F, then come out of the programme and restart it to end up with only C selected - you can't deselect by clicking alone. I enclose my screenshot of only C drive selected. The other icons are all my own ones

Just to confuse matters more, as soon as I sent the last message, I tried Analyze on the C drive again and got to 12%, then it stuck. Closed it, opened it and tried again and got to 16% - next attempts (all taking about the same length of time) were 50%, 20%, 29% and 7%!

Hi Tombar

In your screenshot there were some strange lines - have they recently popped up?

I made a couple of files - one a comparison between your config.ini and mine and second a file with all possible screenshots of the main window and the settings.

Please compare

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. is there some conflict between your security programs and SD?

Just to confuse matters more, as soon as I sent the last message, I tried Analyze on the C drive again and got to 12%, then it stuck. Closed it, opened it and tried again and got to 16% - next attempts (all taking about the same length of time) were 50%, 20%, 29% and 7%!

Hi Tombar

In your screenshot there were some strange lines - have they recently popped up?

I made a couple of files - one a comparison between your config.ini and mine and second a file with all possible screenshots of the main window and the settings.

Please compare

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. is there some conflict between your security programs and SD?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by 2 strange lines in the screenshot - did you mean the config.ini file? I'm not sure what to tell from the 2 config.ini files.

As regards screenshots, I can only show the first, as I can't normally select Automatic Defrag, Boot time defrag or Report. The only things that work when I click on them are Skin, Settings and Support.

Neither Zonealarm or Avast Antivirus (the only 2 running normally) has any effect - I've tried with them turned off.

When I open Smart Defrag, in Processes, I have Smartdefrag.exe and I also have Autoupdate.exe for a brief moment, though it doesn't seem to try to update (and I can't find a setting for this anyway)

Hi tombar

Some strange lines I said - but I just discovered that this was only in the non-maximized screenshot - when I maximized it the lattice looked normal.

I showed a screenshot of all the settings for you to compare.

There were only some few differences in our respective config.ini files and none that made me go heureka.

Very curious that you cannot see the other main windows in the program.

Could you please describe exactly how you perform a Clean Install - step by step verbatim?

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. The program only updates if a new version is available through the program, but it may check if such a situation exists :-)

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by 2 strange lines in the screenshot - did you mean the config.ini file? I'm not sure what to tell from the 2 config.ini files.

As regards screenshots, I can only show the first, as I can't normally select Automatic Defrag, Boot time defrag or Report. The only things that work when I click on them are Skin, Settings and Support.

Neither Zonealarm or Avast Antivirus (the only 2 running normally) has any effect - I've tried with them turned off.

When I open Smart Defrag, in Processes, I have Smartdefrag.exe and I also have Autoupdate.exe for a brief moment, though it doesn't seem to try to update (and I can't find a setting for this anyway)

icons

Hi Tombar,

i know the icons are yours, but they have been corrupted by the installation of another program, its happened to me, thats why i asked did they change at the same time as SD.

one more question have you got/had any external drive connected.

Roy

Hi tombar

Some strange lines I said - but I just discovered that this was only in the non-maximized screenshot - when I maximized it the lattice looked normal.

I showed a screenshot of all the settings for you to compare.

There were only some few differences in our respective config.ini files and none that made me go heureka.

Very curious that you cannot see the other main windows in the program.

Could you please describe exactly how you perform a Clean Install - step by step verbatim?

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. The program only updates if a new version is available through the program, but it may check if such a situation exists :-)

I followed this exactly, except parts in bold:

Uninstall:

• Exit the IObit Software you want to uninstall, make sure it is completely shut down.

• To uninstall the IObit Software it is recommended you use IObit Uninstaller Select the Powerful Scan option

• Launch BitRemover --> select only the IObit Software you uninstalled --> run BitRemover

Delete Folders:

• Launch Windows Explorer (Windows key + E)

• Open (C:)

• Open Documents and Settings and use the following procedure for all the User folders in the Documents and Settings section.

These will possibly be: Administrator, All Users, Default User, Owner, Your User Name and there might be more or less

• Open Application Data

• Open the IObit folder (if there is one) and delete only the folder of the uninstalled IObit Software

I also deleted version 4 and 6 folders that I found there

• Open Program Files

• Open IObit

• Delete only the folder of the uninstalled IObit Software

Clean the Registry:

• If you did not uninstall Advanced System Care then use it to clean the Registry

Install the IObit Software:

• Install the software in the usual manner.

Thanks to everyone taking the time to solve this

Hi Tombar,

i know the icons are yours, but they have been corrupted by the installation of another program, its happened to me, thats why i asked did they change at the same time as SD.

one more question have you got/had any external drive connected.

Roy

I first had this problem with Smart Defrag quite a while ago and uninstalled it and used Disk Magic instead. I only re-installed Smart Defrag a few days ago. I've had these icons (year or more) for quite a while except the Sky one (top right corner), which is what Sky Internet placed there about a month ago. I'm not sure what you mean by corrupted - most are simply links to a website, sky_backup (if this is the one you mean) is a backup of my sky router settings

I have a USB drive as shown on the screenshot

I followed this exactly, except parts in bold:

Uninstall:

• Exit the IObit Software you want to uninstall, make sure it is completely shut down.

• To uninstall the IObit Software it is recommended you use IObit Uninstaller Select the Powerful Scan option

• Launch BitRemover --> select only the IObit Software you uninstalled --> run BitRemover

Delete Folders:

• Launch Windows Explorer (Windows key + E)

• Open (C:)

• Open Documents and Settings and use the following procedure for all the User folders in the Documents and Settings section.

These will possibly be: Administrator, All Users, Default User, Owner, Your User Name and there might be more or less

• Open Application Data

• Open the IObit folder (if there is one) and delete only the folder of the uninstalled IObit Software

I also deleted version 4 and 6 folders that I found there

• Open Program Files

• Open IObit

• Delete only the folder of the uninstalled IObit Software

Clean the Registry:

• If you did not uninstall Advanced System Care then use it to clean the Registry

Install the IObit Software:

• Install the software in the usual manner.

Thanks to everyone taking the time to solve this

Just realised there is no v 4 or 5 and these folders don't come back on re-install. AdvancedSystemCare is on version 6, I think, so presumably they were to do with this. Anyway, it doesn't work with or without them

Archived